Looking at a potential trade destination for Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chargers and Vikings are mentioned.

Who are teams that could make sense - even mild sense - trade for Trey Lance?
By RJ Ochoa Aug 3, 2024

We are just talking here. These are only words. They cannot hurt you.

Dallas Cowboys training camp is over a week in now and we are getting a chance to draw legitimate conclusions on this, that and the other. Trey Lance has been somewhat of a mystery to fans and reports to this point had been a bit all over the place, but on Friday he had what was undoubtedly his finest throw wearing a star on his helmet.

Obviously no NFL team is seriously going to trade for Lance based off of this throw, but you have got to crawl before you can walk, and this throw was our equivalent to screaming when the baby starts to scoot.

So if we live in the hypothetical where Lance is suddenly an asset that a would-be team could care about, we are still only halfway through the equation. Given that every NFL team is in the middle of training camp, there is nobody who really needs him at the moment, especially with him entering the final year of his contract.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...herbert?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Reaction score

By RJ Ochoa Aug 3, 2024

Dallas Cowboys training camp is over a week in now and we are getting a chance to draw legitimate conclusions on this, that and the other. Trey Lance has been somewhat of a mystery to fans and reports to this point had been a bit all over the place, but on Friday he had what was undoubtedly his finest throw wearing a star on his helmet.

Obviously no NFL team is seriously going to trade for Lance based off of this throw, but you have got to crawl before you can walk, and this throw was our equivalent to screaming when the baby starts to scoot.

So if we live in the hypothetical where Lance is suddenly an asset that a would-be team could care about, we are still only halfway through the equation. Given that every NFL team is in the middle of training camp, there is nobody who really needs him at the moment, especially with him entering the final year of his contract.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...herbert?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Pittsburgh, their new QB needs a mobile backup

plymkr

Reaction score
I really don’t want Trey traded because he’s one of my pet cats this season. But Herbert breaking his foot really helps us in this regard. The Vikings are interesting as well. With the reports coming out of Dallas as being mixed to negative about Trey I would love to get our 4th back or even a 3rd. I think I’m coming to grips he may not be our next franchise QB regardless of what happens with Dak so if we can flip the pick, that would be awesome.

Hopefully Trey balls out in the preseason against vanilla defenses and the Vikings or Chargers get nervous and trades for him. If Trey had 2 years left on his rookie deal then I’d say no way, let’s keep developing him, but the fact he’s not under contract for ‘25, trade him if you can.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No team was willing to give more than a 4th the first time Lance was available and he hasn't improved his stock since. To play the game, though, Miami, New Orleans, and Seattle seem to be shaky at the backup spot. Miami does have Mike White but they like to run that high octane offense so maybe they would be enticed by Lance? Maybe Tennessee?

ATXSRT

Reaction score
If he shows flashes in pre-season I could see a QB desperate team take a shot on him with like a 2nd rounder maybe. But if he looks really great and seems like he could take over soon, I doubt Jerry would let him go though.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If he shows flashes in pre-season I could see a QB desperate team take a shot on him with like a 2nd rounder maybe. But if he looks really great and seems like he could take over soon, I doubt Jerry would let him go though.
He will be a FA next year.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I really don’t want Trey traded because he’s one of my pet cats this season. But Herbert breaking his foot really helps us in this regard. The Vikings are interesting as well. With the reports coming out of Dallas as being mixed to negative about Trey I would love to get our 4th back or even a 3rd. I think I’m coming to grips he may not be our next franchise QB regardless of what happens with Dak so if we can flip the pick, that would be awesome.

Hopefully Trey balls out in the preseason against vanilla defenses and the Vikings or Chargers get nervous and trades for him. If Trey had 2 years left on his rookie deal then I’d say no way, let’s keep developing him, but the fact he’s not under contract for ‘25, trade him if you can.
Why would anyone trade for him after Dallas did the same and he couldn’t get any better?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
RJ Ocha, number 1 Slak Homer.

Lance is going nowhere. Slaks injury history will give Lance some regular season starts. Same way Slak was originally handed his job as a 3rd stringer in 2016 after Romo and Moore were injured.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
If he has a stinker pre season then he will probably be released by Jerry, but who knows when he would make the call. I kinda doubt there would be any takers after that. He would get looks as a camp body for a season or two before being out of the league. This year is essentially his last shot to be something in the NFL whether it is with Dallas or some other team.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Trey Lance was a bust for the 49ers and the reports are pretty bad on his performance as a Cowboy. Another draft pick down the drain because the fuhrer thinks he knows best.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

By RJ Ochoa Aug 3, 2024

From all the reports, the Cowboys would be lucky to get anything in return.