Looking at a potential trade destination for Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I agree. No one wants him bad enough to trade a pick and pay $5.3M, when he will be a FA next year.
The Cowboys already paid him $4.5 million for this season. If a different team only has to pay him the remaining $800,000 they may be interested in him, not enough to trade anything for him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Isn’t Dobbs Purdy’s backup on the 49ers?
Now that you mentioned it he signed with the 49ers. Not sure any player in the league has bounced around more than he has the past year and a half. Hard to keep track.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I agree. No one wants him bad enough to trade a pick and pay $5.3M, when he will be a FA next year.
No. No way the team is going to trade him without seeing what he can do in training camp and preseason after giving up a pick and putting in the effort of coaching him. It's just common sense.

Anyone who would write such an article obviously has a Dakgenda because there's not even been a whisper from the organization that they want to trade Lance.

The Vikings were mentioned before, but the Chargers? There's absolutely no reason for them to trade for Lance with McMahon now as head coach and Herbert as QB.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
No. No way the team is going to trade him without seeing what he can do in training camp and preseason after giving up a pick and putting in the effort of coaching him. It's just common sense.

Anyone who would write such an article obviously has a Dakgenda because there's not even been a whisper from the organization that they want to trade Lance.

The Vikings were mentioned before, but the Chargers? There's absolutely no reason for them to trade for Lance with McMahon now as head coach and Herbert as QB.
McMahon? I meant to say Harbaugh. How did that come out of my iPhone keypad?

Creeper

Reaction score
This is the last year of Lance's contract. I don't think Dallas wants to pay him next year. Either he puts on a good show in preseason and the Cowboys trade him for a 3rd or 4th round pick, or he walks next year and the Cowboys get nothing. This is why I was surprised when the Cowboys did not put him in at the end of some of those blow-out games. If he doesn't play at least a half in every playoff game then its clear the Cowboys don't think he has any value and will just end the experiment and let him walk next year.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Agree.

These trade rumors…are just rumors.

We need a future QB1.

The kid is on deck.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
If he shows flashes in pre-season I could see a QB desperate team take a shot on him with like a 2nd rounder maybe. But if he looks really great and seems like he could take over soon, I doubt Jerry would let him go though.
A 2nd.

Wow.

I thought some Gomer might suggest something completely unrealistic like a 3rd or 4th (which no other team was willing to give up except our bozo senile owner), but never dreamed someone would actually suggest a 2nd.

HA HA HA!

why not trade him to KC for Patrick Mahomes and 3 firsts?

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Anybody really think Jerry gonna bail early on his chance to prove himself the smartest "football guy" in the room? Give it lees than a 2% chance.
If he shows up in the preseason and a QB goes down, I could see it happening.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If he shows up in the preseason and a QB goes down, I could see it happening.
No team, including the Dallas Cowboys sees Trey Lance as a starting caliber quarterback in the NFL. There are free agent quarterbacks out there right now more experienced and capable than Trey Lance.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If Trevor Lawrence goes down in jville, I say the Jags. The HC there is good at finding a guy to groom at QB and might take a dart throw at trading for Lance. Im not sure who the back up is there,but it might make some sense.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If Trevor Lawrence goes down in jville, I say the Jags. The HC there is good at finding a guy to groom at QB and might take a dart throw at trading for Lance. Im not sure who the back up is there,but it might make some sense.
Compare the Jaguars current backup quarterbacks experience and production in the NFL to Trey Lance’s experience and production. If their “HC is so good at finding a guy to groom at QB” why the hell wouldn’t he groom guys better than Lance, with more game experience than Lance, and with more proven production than Lance, that are already on his team’s roster? Guys that have played in real game, not preseason games. Mac Jones and C.J. Beathard. Come on. No one is trading anything for Trey Lance under any circumstance real or imagined.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
I predicted Lance would be cut by the end of camp. Still leaning that way.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
If Lance beats out Rush for QB2 then the Cowboys might be able to get a deal done for Rush. Someone may need a backup when the qb injuries come around the league. Not gonna get much but may get something.

If Rush beats out Lance then it is different. Lance would have failed with the Cowboys and Niners to be the QB2. SF gave a king's ransom to draft him and gave up rather quickly on him. And if he fails to beat out Rush then IMO he is about done in the NFL.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Being in the last year of his contract and still hasn't shown the ability to succeed at this level it is highly unlikely anyone would trade for him. Hed probably get signed as a free agent though.