Looking at a potential trade destination for Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Anybody really think Jerry gonna bail early on his chance to prove himself the smartest "football guy" in the room? Give it lees than a 2% chance.
30 years of suckage doesn't seem like early to me.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There has to be a better option than Trey Lance for a team that’s desperate at QB. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to trade for him. Very few teams were interested in him last summer. The way he’s looked this summer, no one would be interested if they’ve been listening to our camp reports. Lol Minnesota would be better off staying with Joshua Dobbs, who’s shown some flashes at times.

plymkr

Reaction score
Why would anyone trade for him after Dallas did the same and he couldn’t get any better?
Well he hasn’t played in any preseason games yet so we can’t make a definitive statement that he hasn’t gotten better. We got to see what he does in preseason. If he shows something in preseason then a QB desperate team may take a flyer on him like we did.

plymkr

Reaction score
There has to be a better option than Trey Lance for a team that’s desperate at QB. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to trade for him. Very few teams were interested in him last summer. The way he’s looked this summer, no one would be interested if they’ve been listening to our camp reports. Lol Minnesota would be better off staying with Joshua Dobbs, who’s shown some flashes at times.
I wouldn’t mind signing Dobbs as our QB2. If we can sign Dobbs for under 5 million then I would do that and cut/trade Lance. Most likely cut him. I like the idea of our QB2 having started and played games in the NFL.

Another example is Flacco. If Flacco signed for vet minimum or close to it then have him be QB2.

morat1959

Reaction score
Jerry loves wasting 4th round picks on QBs. He’s two for his last two.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Just curious is RJ on Dak’s payroll? Dude carries a set of knee pads around at all times.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If he shows flashes in pre-season I could see a QB desperate team take a shot on him with like a 2nd rounder maybe. But if he looks really great and seems like he could take over soon, I doubt Jerry would let him go though.
Pre-season is not going to indicate anything. The Dallas Cowboys have no quarterback under contract beyond 212 days from now. There is no more “QB desperate team” in the NFL than the Cowboys. No team is trading for Trey Lance.

morat1959

Reaction score
Pre-season is not going to indicate anything. The Dallas Cowboys have no quarterback under contract beyond 212 days from now. There is no more “QB desperate team” in the NFL than the Cowboys. No team is trading for Trey Lance.
This is the best news we’ve had in a very long time. We’ll be forced to roll the dice on spending a high draft pick on a QB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Do they really mean anything? One preseason game next week will mean more than all those reports combined.
They mean something because it’s been consistent throughout the entire media that Lance hasn’t performed well. Nick Eatman reported during OTA’s that Lance wasn’t looking that good and that he thought Cooper Rush would remain the backup. The only positive I heard was that maybe Lance is more of a gamer than a practice player and that he would perform better in preseason. He’ll be receiving most of the preseason snaps so we’ll see.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind signing Dobbs as our QB2. If we can sign Dobbs for under 5 million then I would do that and cut/trade Lance. Most likely cut him. I like the idea of our QB2 having started and played games in the NFL.

Another example is Flacco. If Flacco signed for vet minimum or close to it then have him be QB2.
Dobbs is definitely better than Lance. He’s a playmaker. He could be used as a situational QB. He can run and make something happen. He gave the Cowboys all kinds of trouble last season with AZ. I don’t see Minnesota moving on from him with their QB situation. Dobbs is certainly not the longterm answer, but he can keep you afloat for a while.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He will be a FA next year.
yeah any gm with a brain would wait till then to make him a offer.
Trey is not ready for prime time so has little value.
He would have to get hot in ps to change his value.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Dobbs is definitely better than Lance. He’s a playmaker. He could be used as a situational QB. He can run and make something happen. He gave the Cowboys all kinds of trouble last season with AZ. I don’t see Minnesota moving on from him with their QB situation. Dobbs is certainly not the longterm answer, but he can keep you afloat for a while.
Isn’t Dobbs Purdy’s backup on the 49ers?