Looking at the last 5 drafts

coult44

Reaction score
I know everyone has been brainwashed to believe that the Cowboys brass has drafted great over the past 5 years but let’s list the guys they’ve drafted and then have an honest discussion.

2019- Hill, McGovern, Pollard, J.Jackson, M.Jackson, D.Wilson, Webber, Jelks.

2018- LVE, Williams, Gallup, Armstrong, Shultz, White, Covington, C. Wilson, Scarborough.

2017- Taco, Cheeto, Lewis, Woods, M.White, Ivie, Brown, Carrell.

2016- Elliot, J.Smith, M.Collins, Tapper, Dak, A.Brown, Frazier, D.Jackson, Rico.

2015- B.Jones, Gregory, C.Green, D. Wilson, Russell, Nzeocha, Gibson, Swaim.

I wanted to keep going, but you get the point I hope. It is a myth that Steven and Willy have changed the way the Cowboys draft. Ok, they might have changed it, but not for a good difference. How many above average starters? OK, Dak and Zeke. Other than that. Who? Gallup looks like he Could be capable. Collins is average at best. Gregory could’ve been in the discussion, but hmm. Pollard will never get the opportunity to be number one in a Dallas, barring a bad injury or a suspension. LVE has been rumored to have career threatening neck issues. Jaylon should honestly feel bad for the money he took from Jerry. He might be one of the worst starters on the team. Who else on this list should we discuss?

Ok, let’s talk about it.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't think this is terrible drafting. Its too early to evaluate the 2019 draft and you really can't look at 2019 without considering Cooper. Then again, if Cooper is not re-signed in Dallas the 2019 draft will be pretty horrible.

2018 Might turn out okay depending on LVE. If he progressed in 2019, instead of regressing, we would not complain about 2018. Schultz was a wasted pick nut then Dallas has wasted a few good pick on TE since they drafted Witten. And I am afraid they will use another one in 2020 to get a TE.

2017 was okay, Chido is playing better. Lewis looks like he can play and Woods is not bad for where he was picked. What hurt this draft was Taco. They reached and went for position. I haveno idea if he did something in Dallas or if they just wasted him but he did not develop in Dallas.

2016 was a very good draft. I was not a fan of the Zeke pick but he has been a great player for them. Smith was a reach but it looks like its working out. Collins has been a solid starter for 3 years. Dak is their franchise QB and Anthony Brown is quietly efficient and underrated. This was a good draft. And like I said, I was not a fan of taking Zeke. I don't value RBs that high. I would have taken Ramsey.

2015 was not a good draft. Byron Jones is a good CB, but not a playmaker. Grefory is suspended more than he plays. They ruined Chaz Green. Swaim has his moments as a blocking TE but Dallas is where young TEs go to die.

Flamma

Reaction score
I know everyone has been brainwashed to believe that the Cowboys brass has drafted great over the past 5 years but let’s list the guys they’ve drafted and then have an honest discussion.

2018- LVE, Williams, Gallup, Armstrong, Shultz, White, Covington, C. Wilson, Scarborough.

2016- Elliot, J.Smith, M.Collins, Tapper, Dak, A.Brown, Frazier, D.Jackson, Rico.

I wanted to keep going, but you get the point I hope. It is a myth that Steven and Willy have changed the way the Cowboys draft. Ok, they might have changed it, but not for a good difference. How many above average starters? OK, Dak and Zeke. Other than that. Who? Gallup looks like he Could be capable. Collins is average at best. Gregory could’ve been in the discussion, but hmm. Pollard will never get the opportunity to be number one in a Dallas, barring a bad injury or a suspension. LVE has been rumored to have career threatening neck issues. Jaylon should honestly feel bad for the money he took from Jerry. He might be one of the worst starters on the team. Who else on this list should we discuss?

Ok, let’s talk about it.

I think we draft decent. The one thing that bothers me is the Taco and Hill picks. I don't see anything else I would be alarmed by. The Cowboys could/should have TJ Watt and Thornhill instead of Taco and Hill. Let that sink in. Not only that, but they were the obvious choices at the time. So if you were to insert them instead of Taco and Hill, how would the draft look then? Much better, right? This still bothers me.

Silverstar

Reaction score
The past is the past, but I don't want to resign Jones, Collins or Brown...let em walk.

Getting Kinlaw, Davis or Wilson at DT in this next draft should be a priority.

Last edited:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
A lot of those also rides on the relative strength of those draft classes as well. For example, both the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the 2015 draft were an absolute dumpster fire. There's a few gems in there, but probably three quarters of those Day 2 players ended up being mediocre or worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NFL_Draft

We can criticize the front office for not finding the Danielle Hunter in the haystack, but I remember when everyone over at the old DC .com board was freaking out over Diggy from UCLA and Paul Dawson. Heck, I loved Dawson too. The fans didn't exactly outsmart the FO there, nor did the FO really do worse than average. Pretty much every team drafted their own Chaz Green that year.

Anyway, 2015 kind of sucked, and our 2015 draft pretty much sucked aside from Byron. 2016 was a good draft year, and we absolutely killed our 2016 class. 2017 was a weak draft, and we really haven't got much ROI out of it. 2018 looks like a good draft, and we have what looks like a good draft class (it could be really good if LVE can get back to Wolf Hunter mode). Seeing a pattern here?

Last edited:

FanSince71

Reaction score

Will McClay first came to the Cowboys in 2009 as a Pro Scouting Coordinator. He became the Director of Football Research in 2011. Then, he was promoted to Assistant Director of Player Personnel for the 2014 thru 2017 seasons. Finally, he was named Vice President of Player Personnel in 2018 and has been the de facto GM since.

The 2009 draft is widely considered the worst draft all-time by the Cowboys. Although McClay was a scout at the time, I’d say it’s a safe bet that he had minimal to no voice in the actual selections. That said, I think if you’re going to try and grade his talent evaluation, you should look at his entire body of work.

2009: Jason Williams (LB), Robert Brewster (OT), Stephen McGee (QB), Victor Butler (LB), Brandon Williams (DE), DeAngelo Smith (CB), Michael Hamlin (S), David Buehler (K), Stephen Hodge (S), John Phillips (TE), Mike Mickens (CB), Manuel Johnson (WR)

2010: Dez Bryant (WR), Sean Lee (LB), Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (S), Sam Young (OT), Jamar Wall (CB), Sean Lissemore (DT)

2011: Tyron Smith (OT), Bruce Carter (LB), DeMarco Murray (RB), David Arkin (OG), Josh Thomas (CB), Dwayne Harris (WR/KR), Shaun Chapas (FB), Bill Nagy (C)

2012: Morris Claiborne (CB), Tyrone Crawford (DE), Kyle Wilber (LB), Matt Johnson (S), Danny Coale (WR), James Hanna (TE), Caleb McSurdy (LB)

2013: Travis Frederick (C), Gavin Escobar (TE), Terrance Williams (WR), JJ Wilcox (S), BW Webb (CB), Joseph Randle (RB), DeVonte Holloman (LB)

2014: Zack Martin (OG), Demarcus Lawrence (DE), Anthony Hitchens (LB), Devin Street (WR), Ben Gardner (DE), Will Smith (LB), Ahmad Dixon (S), Ken Bishop (DT), Terrance Mitchell (CB)

Prior to the 2014 draft, McClay became the unifier between ownership, scouting department and coaching staff. The move was a direct result of the huge disconnect in 2013 between the coaches and scouting intentions for drafting Florida DT Sharrif Floyd. The scouts had him rated 5th overall on the draft board, but the coaches had no intention of drafting him, regardless of grade. Will McClay gained control of the draft board as well as communications between coaches and scouts. He started getting outside interest from teams in 2016, declining an interview for GM with Detroit in 2016, later with San Francisco and most recently with the Houston Texans.

FanSince71

Reaction score
I think it’s also important to note that 2012 was the last season of the Cowboys running the 34 Defense and also the Rob Ryan as D-coordinator debacle. The 34 was scrapped for a return to the 43 and some “interesting” hybrid of Monte Kiffin’s Tampa 2 defense. Rod Marinelli also became DL coach for the Cowboys in 2013 and promoted to D-coordinator in 2014 after Kiffin was demoted.

So, consider these schematic moves when judging the personnel.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been bringing this up for years. They still want to pretend the Cowboys draft really well.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will McClay first came to the Cowboys in 2009 as a Pro Scouting Coordinator. He became the Director of Football Research in 2011. Then, he was promoted to Assistant Director of Player Personnel for the 2014 thru 2017 seasons. Finally, he was named Vice President of Player Personnel in 2018 and has been the de facto GM since.

Attention, members. Will McClay has been the de facto GM since 2018.

I wonder if he'll decide to fire Garrett this year.

John813

Reaction score
It's overrated due to them landing some all-pro linemen in the top parts of the draft and the 2016 draft.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Yeah the whole "we're drafting well" narrative was started by Stephen himself. Wonder if he has taken a look at this list recently.

Missing on Taco, Randy, and Trysten Hill really set this franchise back, because we've had to use picks and plenty of money to sign Robert Quinn and Michael Bennett. Gallup is the only pick in the past two years that generates any excitement for me.

John813

Reaction score
What makes misses on draft picks worse is the complete lack of free agency usage. Not saying they needed to sign the top players every year, but they don't bother with the mid level guys or trying to find a potential starter, they go straight to the depth for depth guys. I can only think of Woods and Thomas(not including UDFA) over the past 5 years that have made any positive impact from free agency.
And no one can convince me they knew A. Woods was going to play like he has so far.

Brax

Reaction score
Attention, members. Will McClay has been the de facto GM since 2018.

I wonder if he'll decide to fire Garrett this year.
I think Jerry wasn't on that memo that went out naming WM as the de facto GM.

CWR

Reaction score
I think we were well above average, but RG, Taco and maybe Tristan Hill, and Connor Williams have placed us further down than many percieve.

I know its completely unfair to call Hill a bust. We are feeding the Marinelli cant draft narrative and not giving him the time needed. Although he hasn't had a great start, not making the game day roster and being disciplined only adds fuel to the fire.

CW has actually shown improvement, and I still have high hopes for him.

Cheeto and Jordan Lewis I am hoping will benefit from a coaching change. I still think they are starters on many teams based on the flashes we've seen.

Jaylon and LVE probably need a scheme change more than anyone on the team. They need to be kept clean instead of constantly taking on and fighting through blocks. At least thats my theory, I don't think they lack talent but Ill differ to some of our resident Xs and Os experts.

Unfortunately we are in the midst of another JG odd year and talent is going to be difficult to evaluate while the season is spinning out of control. Consequently, we are looking a lot less impressive as a roster. Thats not to say some haven't been over rated, just keeping perspective.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Ok, let’s talk about it.

I don't think this paints the picture you thought it would.

2016 and 2018 were very strong drafts, while 2015 and 2017 weren't. 2019 too early to tell.

I did find "I wanted to keep going but you get the point" pretty funny.
2014 draft- Martin, Lawrence, Hitchens

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Ok, let’s talk about it.
This team has very little players from that 2015 team still on the roster. Should be from 2016

Elliot, Smith. Collins, Dak, Brown, Frazier
This was a great draft. I get ur franchise RB, QB,LB, and core guys in Collins and Brown, ST ace in Frazier

Awuzie, Lewis, and Woods
You get a starter in Awuzie who is having a off yr, Get one of the better slot CBs in the nfl and your starting FS who was rated near the top in FS ranking in 2018. Having a off yr too

Vander Esch, Williams, Gallup, Armstrong, Schultz
Another franchise LB, starting G who is getting a little better every yr, Your #2 WR, rotational DE and a nice backup TE

Cooper, Pollard
As of right now this draft doesnt look too good, Cooper makes this a good draft because you got him for a 1st better then anything you wouldve got in the draft, and a nice backup if you have a coach who will utilize him. McGovern will most likely challenge Williams to start in 2020.

The team has drafted very good. If you want to say the opposite then youre letting ur hate that they didnt get the players you want get the better of you.