Looking back to 2002 Draft

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Knowing what you know now, would you still have taken Roy 8th overall?

Here is who got drafted and where.

Round Pick Player Name Team Position College
1 1 1 David Carr Texans QB Fresno State
2 2 Julius Peppers Panthers DE North Carolina
3 3 Joey Harrington Lions QB Oregon
4 4 Mike Williams Bills T Texas
5 5 Quentin Jammer Chargers DB Texas
6 6 Ryan Sims Chiefs DT North Carolina
7 7 Bryant McKinnie Vikings T Miami (FL)
8 8 Roy Williams Cowboys DB Oklahoma
9 9 John Henderson Jaguars DT Tennessee
10 10 Levi Jones Bengals T Arizona State
11 11 Dwight Freeney Colts DE Syracuse
12 12 Wendell Bryant Cardinals DT Wisconsin
13 13 Donte Stallworth Saints WR Tennessee
14 14 Jeremy Shockey Giants TE Miami (FL)
15 15 Albert Haynesworth Titans DT Tennessee
16 16 William Green Browns RB Boston College
17 17 Phillip Buchanon Raiders DB Miami (FL)
18 18 T.J. Duckett Falcons RB Michigan State
19 19 Ashley Lelie Broncos WR Hawaii
20 20 Javon Walker Packers WR Florida State
21 21 Dan Graham Patriots TE Colorado
22 22 Bryan Thomas Jets DE Alabama-Birmingham
23 23 Napoleon Harris Raiders LB Northwestern
24 24 Edward Reed Ravens DB Miami (FL)
25 25 Charles Grant Saints DE Georgia
26 26 Lito Sheppard Eagles DB Florida
27 27 Mike Rumph 49ers DB Miami (FL)
28 28 Jerramy Stevens Seahawks TE Washington
29 29 Marc Colombo Bears T Boston College
30 30 Kendall Simmons Steelers G Auburn
31 31 Robert Thomas Rams LB UCLA
32 32 Patrick Ramsey Commanders QB Tulane

parchy

Reaction score
That was one of the weakest 1st rounds in awhile to that point. Lito Shepherd would have been the only guy I would have even considered over Roy, but I think we came out just fine. It was the rest of the draft that worried me...

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Ed Reed, Levi Jones, Dwight Freeney, Javon Walker. Man, the first round is a freakin' crap shoot. Lito would have been a good 2nd rounder, but not a first. At least we got one of the good players in this particular draft.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Charles Grant and John Henderson are pretty good too.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
parchy said:
That was one of the weakest 1st rounds in awhile to that point. Lito Shepherd would have been the only guy I would have even considered over Roy, but I think we came out just fine. It was the rest of the draft that worried me...

If you're looking at hindsight, you would have to considered Ed Reed and Dwight Freeney and Javon Walker as well.

Hiero

Reaction score
to me freeney vs roy williams is a no brainer, if we knew how great freeney would turn out, no way we pass on him. Javon Walker actually is another guy I would have taken, because I love big time wr's. other than that, only ed reed stands out as a possible guy I would take over him.

Gordon

Reaction score
parchy said:

That 1st round was stacked man.. The top 10 produced a lot of busts but a lot of these guys are at the top of their positions right now, especially in picks 8-26.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Ed Reed
Dwight Freeney
Javon Walker

I love Roy but if we are going to keep using him wrong why have him? YOU DON'T USE HIM IN COVERAGE!

I have to say that Roy was a good pick, especially considering how well he did his rookie year when he was allowed to do what he does best.

Oh well...can't go back in time.

irishwaste

Reaction score
I would have taken Reed, Freeny, and Walker over Roy.

Imagine having to worry about Ware and Freeny and Ellis and Glover at once?

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
irishwaste said:
I would have taken Reed, Freeny, and Walker over Roy.

Imagine having to worry about Ware and Freeny and Ellis and Glover at once?

then imagine having to worry about#31 coming at ya HARD!!!

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
woulda,coulda,shoulda!!!Be glad Roy has been the player he has been for us!!!Roy COULD have been a bust!!!

Derinyar

Reaction score
Its hard to judge players in a vacuum. Is Ed Reed the reason the Baltimore defense is great, or is he helped by the fact the defense is great? How much of Ed Reed is Ed Reed and how much is the Ravens as a unit?

Hes definately better in coverage than Roy. Roy in his rookie year looked like he was a great choice. I think we have to get a good FS and then Roy will look better.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I recall the RLWs debate back on the old board. There were a few that wanted to go another direction but there is no doubt, Roy was a very popular pick back then.

There's an old theory that say you don't take a safety in the top 10.

I don't know. Roy still has a lot of years to go. We will see if things change or not.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
Its hard to judge players in a vacuum. Is Ed Reed the reason the Baltimore defense is great, or is he helped by the fact the defense is great? How much of Ed Reed is Ed Reed and how much is the Ravens as a unit?

Hes definately better in coverage than Roy. Roy in his rookie year looked like he was a great choice. I think we have to get a good FS and then Roy will look better.

Like that will ever happen. :rolleyes:

The Dallas Cowboys don't like true free safeties. For some reason, they are poisonous to everything Blue and Silver.

Hiero

Reaction score
Derinyar said:

yep, they bring different stuff to the table. if the dallas d had been as good as the ravens d was the past few years, and roy was truely able to freelance his stats would also be overinflated.

dboyz

Reaction score
We could have done a little better with a few guys, but we could have also done worse.