Looking back to 2002 Draft

Hiero

Reaction score
dragon_mikal said:
Like that will ever happen. :rolleyes:

The Dallas Cowboys don't like true free safeties. For some reason, they are poisonous to everything Blue and Silver.
seriously, whats the deal with BP or zimmer trying to make all these SS into a FS, when we specifically put Roy at SS so he wouldnt have to worry about deep coverage. then we put a scrub next to Roy which puts even more responsibility on him. big mistake not getting a real FS who can take the deep cover responsibilities from Roy and truely let him roam free finally.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Only ones would be Ed Reed or Dwight Freeney. At the time, the only one I would have considered would have been Reed but not at 6 or 8 where we were picking, or John Henderson.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The only player I wanted more than Roy Williams in that Draft was Julius Peppers. Yes, I still would take him.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Wouldn't really matter since Zimmer is our DCOord.

Who's to say Roy wouldn't be 5X as good if we had a DCoord that knew how to use him?

So it's hard to say. It would be hard to pass on Freeney either way. Freeney could help turn an average secondary into a good secondary, or good to great.

I also wouldn't of been against trading down more and taking Reed. He would of been a better fit at the time anyway (with Woodson at SS, Reed would of been a nice compliment as a FS).

That said, I love Roy. I think despite Zimmer, he's still a solid safety. If we had a Dick Lebeau he'd probably easily be considered the best Safety in the NFL.

jem88

Reaction score
parchy said:
That was one of the weakest 1st rounds in awhile to that point. Lito Shepherd would have been the only guy I would have even considered over Roy, but I think we came out just fine. It was the rest of the draft that worried me...
Uh what about Freeney? And what's this "the rest of the draft that worried me"? Are you trying to tell us that at the time of the draft you thought Gurode, Bryant and Ross were bad picks? I don't buy it.