Looking Way ahead

Verdict

Reaction score
I highly doubt we spend the money to keep Leary around, because even with his degenerative knee condition he won't be cheap. He is likely gone.

Mo Claiborne is in his contract year. I know we would like to resign him to a team friendly deal but he will probably test the free agency waters and will get paid.

Free is getting damn long in the tooth, and if I remember correctly, his cap number goes up a little bit next year. Green might be able to beat him out next year, but regardless, who is the swing tackle if that happens?

Martin will be eligible for a raise soon, and barring some really serious injury, we will not let him get away. We will pay the man his money.

Dez' contract is really overbearing vs production on the field. Hopefully that changes, but so far it has been a bad contract in terms of dollars spent vs. performance.

The Romo/Dak controversy is hitting full stride. Does Romo become expendable after this year and do we save the cap dollars?

Here is where it gets interesting. Leary is a gonner under most scenarios, but you could pay Leary and Martin with the Romo cap savings. I'm not saying that is what we should do, but it is plausible that could occur. You could also make the same argument about Dez' contract.

Let's assume Leary walks. In that event, I am guessing that a premium pick may still be spent on the right tackle, or swing tackle. I personally wouldn't be surprised if we pull the trigger on a first round right tackle. We could get a really good RT/swing tackle late in the first round. That is an abundance of riches on the offensive line, but if you don't spend a pick there next year (top 3 rounds) then there really isn't anyone to replace Free, or Green or Leary in the wings. This team is built on the success of the OL, that is our identity. We can't let that get away from us.

Like I said, I'm not FOR getting rid of Romo, but if you save Romo's cap hit you could keep Leary, and extend Martin and it is probably still a wash, or maybe still a little bit to the good.

If you don't pay Claiborne, we will also need a top 2 round CB for the defense just to stay even to where we are with Mo now. We can't pay everyone.

I really want to see Romo stay and get a super bowl, but quite honestly, I don't see us being able to build a superior defense if we have to keep plugging holes on offense, or replacing good players lost via free agency. Ware has been gone several years, and even though it was a good decision cap wise (and injury wise) we still haven't replaced him. There are lots of important decisions to be made.

I would love to see us get Mo signed now, so that we aren't hamstrung by a need at CB. Butler should have already been considered for a "peanuts extension". We were a year too late with Murray. If we keep winning our players' values are going to sky rocket.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Claiborne, Leary and Williams are free agents after the season. The only one I would try and re-sign is Claiborne but, as you say, to a "team-friendly" contract.

DE, tackle, CB, WR, and LB will be priorities in next year's draft. If I was Dallas, I would make DE and OT my priorities in the first two rounds. You with in the trenches.

Eanwen

Reaction score
Isn't this also Butler and Carr's last year as well? Some of these holes will have to be addressed in free agency. It's unlikely that a stud DE will be available in FA IMO so DE should be priority one in the draft. If we lose both Butler and Williams then maybe WR jumps ahead.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I would resign Claiborne and Leary. Collins would be my swing tackle and Green would be the starter. Collins would also be the swing guard. I let Twil Go. I try to trade Romo.

I go into the FA period and draft looking for a DE, LB and WR.

windjc

Reaction score
So you think we will spend our next #1 on the offensive line? I think its a guarantee that this is the last place we will spend our next #1 pick.

Why not resign Leary and Clairborne? If they are good enough to make money then make it from us. Why gamble that we can replace the talent. Keep the talent and add new talent. That is how teams win.

CWR

Reaction score
I love Romo and appreciate all hes done for us but there is really no reason to keep him after this season. We have the future on the field now and hes playing at a significant cap savings. The only debate to me is wether or not Romo comes back in this year. Dak doesnt need 2 years to develop, he can play and play well now.

I think we need to get Mo signed. This year has been a building block off of last year. Hes become a very good corner for us. We dont need another hole. As far as Carr goes I do remember him taking a pay cut, but Im not sure what the cap figure is now.

We cant resign Leary and expect him to be ok as a second string player. Sure he wants the financial security but I also believe he wants to be guaranteed playing time and the ability to contribute. Also if he is the better player we cant continue to start Collins over him just based on his potential. I just cant imagine the message that sends to other vet.

We go into the draft and target DE, CB, OT, LB and WR2. Hopefully we can make smart fiscal decisions prior to the draft and those wont all be glaring holes.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I'd do whatever it takes to resign Claiborne. He's turning into an elite CB. People don't like the fact that he spent his first 5 seasons injured and underperforming, but you're not gonna find very many CBs who could step into a new system and be elite and also not break the bank. Get Mo resigned. Priority #1 in the offseason.

As much as I like Leary, he's 4 years older than Collins and has way less upside. I move on from Leary at the end of the season. I don't see much of or any of a drop off in the overall O-line with Collins instead of Leary.

I'd cut the cord on Free after this season. Green has looked impressive filling in at LT. I don't see us losing much of a step by replacing Free with Green after this season.

Williams isn't anything special. He'll probably demand more money than he's worth. I'd only bring him back for a near minimum salary.

Dez doesn't produce like other elite WRs. He's definitely a great talent and impacts the game, but he doesn't impact it enough to justify his current salary. I'd keep Dez unless it meant costing us someone like Claiborne. I'd hate to lose someone like Dez, but I'd rather replace him with a 1st/2nd round WR in the draft than lose out on some defensive players.

Let's see how Romo looks when/if he comes back this season before cutting the cord. Dak has looked great. But maybe our offense is so stacked that someone like Romo can light up the league. We'll see. But if Romo isn't considerably better than Dak (meaning if he doesn't play at an Aaron Rodgers level) then I'd cut the cord and use that extra money to resign Claiborne, Martin, Dez and some free agents.

Verdict

Reaction score
These are some really good posts. I like the discussion. It is hard to believe the difference in Mo this year. All I know is it would be really difficult to replace his current level of play at any price.

Verdict

Reaction score
I would resign Claiborne and Leary. Collins would be my swing tackle and Green would be the starter. Collins would also be the swing guard. I let Twil Go. I try to trade Romo.

I go into the FA period and draft looking for a DE, LB and WR.

I really like the way you think. I would offer Twilliams or Butler a contract and leverage that. I would sign or or the other, first come first served. I would not resign both unless they both come on team friendly deals.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I highly doubt we spend the money to keep Leary around, because even with his degenerative knee condition he won't be cheap. He is likely gone.

Mo Claiborne is in his contract year. I know we would like to resign him to a team friendly deal but he will probably test the free agency waters and will get paid.

Free is getting damn long in the tooth, and if I remember correctly, his cap number goes up a little bit next year. Green might be able to beat him out next year, but regardless, who is the swing tackle if that happens?

Martin will be eligible for a raise soon, and barring some really serious injury, we will not let him get away. We will pay the man his money.

Dez' contract is really overbearing vs production on the field. Hopefully that changes, but so far it has been a bad contract in terms of dollars spent vs. performance.

The Romo/Dak controversy is hitting full stride. Does Romo become expendable after this year and do we save the cap dollars?

Here is where it gets interesting. Leary is a gonner under most scenarios, but you could pay Leary and Martin with the Romo cap savings. I'm not saying that is what we should do, but it is plausible that could occur. You could also make the same argument about Dez' contract.

Let's assume Leary walks. In that event, I am guessing that a premium pick may still be spent on the right tackle, or swing tackle. I personally wouldn't be surprised if we pull the trigger on a first round right tackle. We could get a really good RT/swing tackle late in the first round. That is an abundance of riches on the offensive line, but if you don't spend a pick there next year (top 3 rounds) then there really isn't anyone to replace Free, or Green or Leary in the wings. This team is built on the success of the OL, that is our identity. We can't let that get away from us.

Like I said, I'm not FOR getting rid of Romo, but if you save Romo's cap hit you could keep Leary, and extend Martin and it is probably still a wash, or maybe still a little bit to the good.

If you don't pay Claiborne, we will also need a top 2 round CB for the defense just to stay even to where we are with Mo now. We can't pay everyone.

I really want to see Romo stay and get a super bowl, but quite honestly, I don't see us being able to build a superior defense if we have to keep plugging holes on offense, or replacing good players lost via free agency. Ware has been gone several years, and even though it was a good decision cap wise (and injury wise) we still haven't replaced him. There are lots of important decisions to be made.

I would love to see us get Mo signed now, so that we aren't hamstrung by a need at CB. Butler should have already been considered for a "peanuts extension". We were a year too late with Murray. If we keep winning our players' values are going to sky rocket.

Martin isn't a FA untinl 2019......Romo is gone either way by then
Leary is gone......Collins is cheap for 2 more years
Free is probably the swing OT next year after a paycut...Green is the RT
They can draft OL depth
Mo is probably gone unless he really loves Dallas
Carr may sign for cheap, he has made his money

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I really like the way you think. I would offer Twilliams or Butler a contract and leverage that. I would sign or or the other, first come first served. I would not resign both unless they both come on team friendly deals.
Butler has 8 catches for 77 yards this season so far. Right now I have no interest in signing him.

Verdict

Reaction score
Martin isn't a FA untinl 2019......Romo is gone either way by then
Leary is gone......Collins is cheap for 2 more years
Free is probably the swing OT next year after a paycut...Green is the RT
They can draft OL depth
Mo is probably gone unless he really loves Dallas
Carr may sign for cheap, he has made his money

Martin's 5th year option will be exercised, but I wonder if they will extend him instead?

Yes, they can draft OL depth. In order to keep this run going though they are probably going to have to invest a 1st or 2nd round pick on the OL unless they retain the guys they have. We will be picking toward the bottom of the round, so that waters down our talent in each round. If we spend picks on the OL then everyone will ***** about how we never fix the defense. You only get to use a pick once, unless you trade down and acquire more picks.

Verdict

Reaction score
Butler has 8 catches for 77 yards this season so far. Right now I have no interest in signing him.

Are you interested in paying large sums to replace Williams AND Butler this off season, or using a premium pick that could be used on defense to replace one of the two? How fun does that sound?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Are you interested in paying large sums to replace Williams AND Butler this off season, or using a premium pick that could be used on defense to replace one of the two? How fun does that sound?
Id rather use a pick. If your going to keep one keep Williams. Butler is practically worthless

Verdict

Reaction score
Id rather use a pick. If your going to keep one keep Williams. Butler is practically worthless

I don't think you guys get how this works. The Cowboys are having success, and teams will be poaching our players like crain the offseason.. Keeping Williams will likely mean that we will have to overpay to keep him if he hits free agency. Williams is a solid, but unspectacular player. Wee can't and shouldn't overpay to keep him.

Butler seems to be about as good as Williams (maybe slightly less regarded now) and would come cheap. If we let Williams walk, I doubt there would be any drop off from Williams to Butler, but the cost could be significantly less to keep Butler. Then we would look to draft a replacement in the draft. The problem is that if you let too many players go, you can't replace them all in the draft.

Corners, Defensive ends (pass rushers) Left tackles, QBs and WR1, all demand a premium in free agency if they are available at all. That means that you get forced to draft them, overpay for them in free agency, or you go without one. If you guys want to fix the defense, every pick spent to replace an offensive player lost is one less pick available to spend on defense.

You always go BPA available in the draft, especially in the first round. But you get a bonus if BPA is in a position of need and a double bonus if the pick hits and falls into one of the premium positions.

haleyrules

Reaction score
wth. Both Williams and Butler are usefull players to the Cowboy offense. Not every player can be a pro bowler. Williams has been very valuable and will be so heading into the future. He has caught many, many important balls for the Club. These boys are not so easy to replace.

Verdict

Reaction score
wth. Both Williams and Butler are usefull players to the Cowboy offense. Not every player can be a pro bowler. Williams has been very valuable and will be so heading into the future. He has caught many, many important balls for the Club. These boys are not so easy to replace.

No offense, but I think you misunderstood my point.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Claiborne, Leary and Williams are free agents after the season. The only one I would try and re-sign is Claiborne but, as you say, to a "team-friendly" contract.

DE, tackle, CB, WR, and LB will be priorities in next year's draft. If I was Dallas, I would make DE and OT my priorities in the first two rounds. You with in the trenches.

I agree. Claiborne will be the priority. Maybe they are able to resign TWill to a moderate contract, depending on what he gets offered on the open market. I wouldn't count on that however.

I think Free and Carr will be cut. Chaz will be penciled in at RT. You'll probably see an OL draft in RD 2 or 3 as insurance.

Qbert

Reaction score
Gonna be hard to resign or sign other players with them already almost 12 million over the 2017 salary cap