Loophole in Dak's contract could reduce his salary cap hit to $40.93M

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An extension would reduce Prescott’s mammoth $59.46 million cap hit, but that’s not the only option. Two void years were attached on the back end of his deal for 2025 and 2026, dummy years added to allow the Cowboys more financial flexibility. Hypothetically, the Cowboys now have the sole discretion to reduce his 2024 salary to as low as $1.21 million, with the $27.79 million reduction paid as a bonus and evenly distributed across the next three years. If the Cowboys convert the maximum amount of Prescott’s salary into a signing bonus, Prescott’s new number would be $40.93 million. It would still be the league’s seventh-highest cap hit, but up to $18.53 million in 2024 cap space could be created through this zero-negotiation automatic conversion.
We know Dak won't be traded or cut and an extension is coming. Creating $18.53M in salary cap give the Cowboys much needed space to bring in some FA's. This is a move I would do in a heartbeat. There isn't anything to think about. Just do it. Zero-negotiation conversion means Dak doesn't have any say.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...ak-prescott-contract-free-agency-troy-aikman/

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

leeblair

Reaction score
We know Dak won't be traded or cut and an extension is coming. Creating $18.53M in salary cap give the Cowboys much needed space to bring in some FA's. This is a move I would do in a heartbeat. There isn't anything to think about. Just do it. Zero-negotiation conversion means Dak doesn't have any say.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...ak-prescott-contract-free-agency-troy-aikman/
It doesn't solve the problem and right now the Cowboys are facing the very real prospect of a fans' mutiny because of the way Prescott has played.
Maybe they still sellout, but maybe they don't. With next year's season looking to be brutal, the Cowboys need a real option at quarterback that will give fans some hope if they expect to sell it to the fans.
I think Jerry finds himself in the position that many businesses in the corporate world deal with- they need to get rid of someone to get shareholder confidence up. Dak is that guy.
Unless Jerry makes a definite move that offers fans and even his own players hope, at the first sign of trouble his income for next year could take a hit- with repercussions coming in the following year from ad revenue.
I think Jerry might not be saying it, but he and Stephen know they are in a pickle at the moment that could cost them a lot more than $60 million.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Lot of threads over how to get rid of Dak.

Meanwhile the powers that be love him, and think he is a great QB, and have no problem paying him as if he is Mahomes.

They also think they are doing a great job running the team.

I realize this a discussion forum, but it’s really getting to where….’bring in this player, bring in this coach’ is a serious waste of time.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It doesn't solve the problem and right now the Cowboys are facing the very real prospect of a fans' mutiny because of the way Prescott has played.
Maybe they still sellout, but maybe they don't. With next year's season looking to be brutal, the Cowboys need a real option at quarterback that will give fans some hope if they expect to sell it to the fans.
I think Jerry finds himself in the position that many businesses in the corporate world deal with- they need to get rid of someone to get shareholder confidence up. Dak is that guy.
Unless Jerry makes a definite move that offers fans and even his own players hope, at the first sign of trouble his income for next year could take a hit- with repercussions coming in the following year from ad revenue.
I think Jerry might not be saying it, but he and Stephen know they are in a pickle at the moment that could cost them a lot more than $60 million.
This!!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
O k, so then he'll hold out and we can offer him up for trade

Done

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Real Cowboy fans knew this three years ago. ;)
Jerry had to extend him because of the media pressure. The irony is the media is saying the opposite now. Dak outplayed his extension. He is worth more then 40 million a season when you compare him to the other quarterbacks in the league.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

So roughly $28 million ÷ by 3 years = $9 million + the reduced 2024 salary as low as $1.2 million = TOTAL 2024 PAID SALARY of just over $10 million for Dak this upcoming season?

If true, don't anybody by complaining that Dak is being overpaid since he will be getting paid only $10+ million for 2024. That's one hell of a deal for the Cowboys!

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When it pertains to INEPTNESS loopholes are irrelevant.
And I am not sold on Dak staying..........sorry

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

The only thing I would respond to is that our history in free agency is that of bottom feeders.
So I am not hopeful in that department.