Losing Richard will be like losing Sean Payton

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He'll get some interviews, but my money is on him staying in Dallas. Marinelli may retire and make him the official DC, if not, Richard will remain the de facto DC.

Dude is due a promotion before long though. Look how Eberflus parlayed his "passing game coordinator" gig into a DC role and now some head coaching offers. Richard is on a similar trajectory IMO.

visionary

Reaction score
Can anybody actually see a Jones/Richard partnership working out in Dallas?

Well, the Jones/Garrett partnership has worked for the 2 of them but provided nothing but mediocrity for the fans but still going 8 years and counting . So something "working out" for fans is not a criteria for anything in this organization unfortunately

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Jerry wants someone to stroke his ego and tell him what a great manager he is....Garrett is that guy...

That's why he is the head coach

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Jerry need to use the money advantage and make it worth their while to stick around.

sideon

Reaction score
the last 4 weeks our defense has not been very good. How is that possible with this amazing coach calling our defensive plays?????
You're seeing the result of what happens when a team has no balance, the defense has been lights out for most of the season while the offense has been garbage. Now the defense has hit a wall and it's time for the offense to step up.

cristglo

Reaction score
the last 4 weeks our defense has not been very good. How is that possible with this amazing coach calling our defensive plays?????
Richard has helped this defense but Im with you where has this defense been the last four games? I dont want to lose him but The HOTBOYZ havent been the HOTBOYZ and for the last four weeks havent earned the name of HOTBOYZ. Now if he can turn this defense back around and a SB win then hey he deserves a HC job.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
At the end of the day, whether you admit it or not, it comes down to MONEY. If Richard gets a HC offer of $3 mill a year with the Jets vs an upgraded position of $4 mill a year with Dallas..money talks. No need to move family, make more money, stay with players you know. Makes sense, money will talk.

If the Jones's play tight with their money then we know that they aren't serious in winning. They are the richest franchise in the history of all sports. If they let Richard go to another team and not offering to increase his pay says alot about where the Jones family true loyalty lies.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, the Jones/Garrett partnership has worked for the 2 of them but provided nothing but mediocrity for the fans but still going 8 years and counting . So something "working out" for fans is not a criteria for anything in this organization unfortunately

Jones is here to stay, dude.

LittleD

Reaction score
If the Jones's play tight with their money then we know that they aren't serious in winning. They are the richest franchise in the history of all sports. If they let Richard go to another team and not offering to increase his pay says alot about where the Jones family true loyalty lies.

Money is not everything to these guys. They want to be the top man and run a team for ego and the money which is much more than DC. If he gets a HC offer, he's going to take it.

Cebrin

Reaction score
He's a great coach, but I'm going to be the other voice. Rod made lemonade out of lemons, and has been building this defense before he got here. They're all starting to mature at the right time. Vander Esch is a reflection of who he is as a player/person (look at his journey), and having Lee as a guru doesn't hurt. I wanna keep him too, I'm not saying he's not effective. I love having him here. I think he should replace Marinelli. Let's not discredit the old man, though. That guy has been doing great things for a while!

Hadenough

Reaction score
How do you stop somebody who wants to advance his career?
You offer him head coaching money to be an assistant head coach! I actually doubt anyone will be hiring him as a head coach but he should be promoted to DC if he stays here.
The thing about Richards is I dont believe the Cowboys even make the playoffs without Richard. He has brought an attitude and mindset to this defense that it never had. You lose him and this team might be considered a 7-9 team.

Hadenough

Reaction score
He's a great coach, but I'm going to be the other voice. Rod made lemonade out of lemons, and has been building this defense before he got here. They're all starting to mature at the right time. Vander Esch is a reflection of who he is as a player/person (look at his journey), and having Lee as a guru doesn't hurt. I wanna keep him too, I'm not saying he's not effective. I love having him here. I think he should replace Marinelli. Let's not discredit the old man, though. That guy has been doing great things for a while!
I dont think this team makes the playoffs without Richards coaching up the LBs along with the DBs. Marinelli is decent but this defense has never been great. Richards has started making the defensive calls and suddenly we see a ton of pressure. Marinelli would blitz on second down and get a sack and then play coverage on third down and give a big play. I think its time to move on from Marinelli.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I dont think this team makes the playoffs without Richards coaching up the LBs along with the DBs. Marinelli is decent but this defense has never been great. Richards has started making the defensive calls and suddenly we see a ton of pressure. Marinelli would blitz on second down and get a sack and then play coverage on third down and give a big play. I think its time to move on from Marinelli.
We hovered top 10 last year, and fell out with injuries, and a lot of rookie play.

Hadenough

Reaction score
We hovered top 10 last year, and fell out with injuries, and a lot of rookie play.
I think Marinelli has done a good job but has he ever had a top 3 defense anywhere he has coached! He is one tough old guy but he is like 80 and sometimes its time to move on to younger ideas and a different voice.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I think Marinelli has done a good job but has he ever had a top 3 defense anywhere he has coached! He is one tough old guy but he is like 80 and sometimes its time to move on to younger ideas and a different voice.

He's 69, a year younger than my Dad, and he had the #1 defense in Tampa Bay in 2002 when they won the Superbowl with friggin Brad Johnson. :laugh: I'm not discrediting Richards by any means, but people are too quick to not give Marinelli his due. Tuna was old when he came to Dallas, but he still flipped the team around to contenders. Pete Carroll is 2 years younger, and Bill Belichick 3 years younger.

Hadenough

Reaction score
If Richards gets a HC job I would pick up the phone and call Greg Williams if he is available. I want a dude with attitude and toughness!

Hadenough

Reaction score
He's 69, a year younger than my Dad, and he had the #1 defense in Tampa Bay in 2002 when they won the Superbowl with friggin Brad Johnson. :laugh: I'm not discrediting Richards by any means, but people are too quick to not give Marinelli his due. Tuna was old when he came to Dallas, but he still flipped the team around to contenders. Pete Carroll is 2 years younger, and Bill Belichick 3 years younger.
He was coaching the Dline and that was Monte Kiffins defense in 2002. I think for this Dallas defense to have a chance to be a #1 D next season they will need to move on from Marinelli.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You offer him head coaching money to be an assistant head coach! I actually doubt anyone will be hiring him as a head coach but he should be promoted to DC if he stays here.
The thing about Richards is I dont believe the Cowboys even make the playoffs without Richard. He has brought an attitude and mindset to this defense that it never had. You lose him and this team might be considered a 7-9 team.
Ok.

That is one solution.

Which means all the assistants get a raise,too?

And Garrett is getting about 8 mil per year.

So now you have two guys like that?

Doubtful.