Losing Witten would be crippling W/O replacement

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I read all over this forum about Witten and how he's holding Jarwin back. But to be honest Jarwin is a nice compliment, but shouldnt be nowhere near a starter. He is unusable in the running game. And we know this because Dallas was a strictly inside run team in 2018. Why because the TEs couldnt block the outside.

And it doesnt limit the handicap only to the run game. Theres a reason Dak was sacked at a record pace in 2018 because TEs couldnt help in pass blocking either. It was horrible.

Jarwin is a nice guy to go out and run a seam or a out to the sideline and get forgotten about by the defense because he's not a threat. That would work for the team if he comes in, in situations but if he's a starter then he's not getting them suprise the defense situations.

This team needs a complete TE, theres a reason Dallas wanted Geodert with Witten moving to the booth.

As much as Witten declined with age, Jarwin isnt half the TE Witten is. Jarwin is a guy you bring in, in situations. Not a guy you depend on regularly.

IMO Cole Kmet is just what this team needs. And picking him at 17 would be a great for this team. I see needs on defense but this defense needs veteran leadership. They have plenty of young talent who arent ready to be leaders. The offense is full of vet leaders. With the cap this team has, go and pluck a couple of vets in FA for this defense that are able to lead on the field.

Ignoring the loss of Witten would be a huge mistake as Dak found out in 2018 when im sure plenty of Monday mornings he woke up sore from the beating he took on sunday.

nobody

Reaction score
If Witten had...I dunno, TAUGHT GUYS UNDER HIM BEFORE HE RETIRED THE FIRST TIME...it wouldn't be an issue. If Jones had valued coaches that know how to do their job, it wouldn't be an issue. Witten is slowing down too much.
I'd be willing to bet that if he plays next year, we'd see a dropoff in performance like the Patriots are seeing in Brady this year.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Witten is too slow. I love the guy and he was great but he is too slow to be an effective TE. TE needs to be a priority this draft. Top 3 pick for them. Shultz is a bust and Jarwin can’t block. They need a starter, Jarwin or mix in and a legit blocking TE. Shultz needs to be cut and Witten should retire.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If Witten had...I dunno, TAUGHT GUYS UNDER HIM BEFORE HE RETIRED THE FIRST TIME...it wouldn't be an issue. If Jones had valued coaches that know how to do their job, it wouldn't be an issue. Witten is slowing down too much.
I'd be willing to bet that if he plays next year, we'd see a dropoff in performance like the Patriots are seeing in Brady this year.
How can you teach guys how to block? You are either willing or not.

nobody

Reaction score
How can you teach guys how to block? You are either willing or not.

It's not just that, it's knowing when to do it and what to look for. That can be taught. Technique can be taught. Or...I dunno, go with an offense where TE isn't so critical...especially if you're dumping Garrett's predictable playbook.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Eric Ebron supposed to be available. Don't want Witten back.

Being a heels fan and having seen him lots of times, who else is free in FA. Would take him but would like to keep looking like they do on House Hunters.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Eric Ebron supposed to be available. Don't want Witten back.
Witten is done, anybody that saw him after that Washington game who isnt blind saw he's done. Ebron isnt a blocker. Kmet could be the next great Cowboy TE. If you seen a ND game you know what im talking about. He isnt getting passed NE who could be picking only a few picks behind Dallas if they lose to Tenn.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I would not see them taking a TE at 17. This board would be flipping out. Heck they were flipping out at taking a TE in the 2nd round a couple of times.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read all over this forum about Witten and how he's holding Jarwin back. But to be honest Jarwin is a nice compliment, but shouldnt be nowhere near a starter. He is unusable in the running game. And we know this because Dallas was a strictly inside run team in 2018. Why because the TEs couldnt block the outside.

And it doesnt limit the handicap only to the run game. Theres a reason Dak was sacked at a record pace in 2018 because TEs couldnt help in pass blocking either. It was horrible.

Jarwin is a nice guy to go out and run a seam or a out to the sideline and get forgotten about by the defense because he's not a threat. That would work for the team if he comes in, in situations but if he's a starter then he's not getting them suprise the defense situations.

This team needs a complete TE, theres a reason Dallas wanted Geodert with Witten moving to the booth.

As much as Witten declined with age, Jarwin isnt half the TE Witten is. Jarwin is a guy you bring in, in situations. Not a guy you depend on regularly.

IMO Cole Kmet is just what this team needs. And picking him at 17 would be a great for this team. I see needs on defense but this defense needs veteran leadership. They have plenty of young talent who arent ready to be leaders. The offense is full of vet leaders. With the cap this team has, go and pluck a couple of vets in FA for this defense that are able to lead on the field.

Ignoring the loss of Witten would be a huge mistake as Dak found out in 2018 when im sure plenty of Monday mornings he woke up sore from the beating he took on sunday.

Ya TE is the missing Superbowl link for us!
Dak needs a STUD TE hence the reason we can't score over 15 points against good defenses!:omg::muttley:

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I love Witten, the man has been an inspiration on and off the field, a true professional. a character guy, the kind of guy I wish the whole team was filled with but his time had passed, I would have never resigned him to begin with after missing a year in the booth, I thought the year before he reitred for the first time should have been his last.....

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Witten is done, anybody that saw him after that Washington game who isnt blind saw he's done. Ebron isnt a blocker. Kmet could be the next great Cowboy TE. If you seen a ND game you know what im talking about. He isnt getting passed NE who could be picking only a few picks behind Dallas if they lose to Tenn.

We need to replace Witten. He is way too slow and really needs to retire.

But I think we spending a 1st on a TE is crazy. Jarwin is pretty good I think. He runs good routes and is fast. Just that our coaching staff haven't a clue on how to use him.