Lost a big contract last week

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
As many of you know I own a flooring instillation company. Last week we got bad news about the relationship we had with one of the bigger "Box Stores".

We have had a contract with this store since 2002. Received many yearly awards over the years.

Ok, here's where it went bad. last week the crew wanted me to meet them on a job to go to lunch. We discussed and ended up at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants. We ordered and they had a special on pitcures of beer that day. There was 8 of us so we ordered two.

One crew was finished for the day so, they went home and I returned with the second crew to finish up.

I do this from time to time just for PR as I don't do much of the work any more. We finish up and got the job signed off on and was even given a tip.

Then next morning I received an E-mail saying you have been taken out of the rotation to receive jobs. I called of-course and they explanation I got was the crew leader was intoxicated and made the home owner feel uneasy.

Now, I had two beers as we ate lunch. It's my fault because I didn't think anything about it. They have a (Zero) policy when it comes to drinking on the job.

Thing is I'm pissed because I didn't even have a baby buzz, much less intoxicated.

Don't ever get relaxed and let this happen to you. I just lost 150,000.00 dollar a year account.:(

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That does suck. I'm a project manager and I've been hired from different companies to others to run specific contracts because I know how to do it. I'm pretty laid back, but I put a lot of stress on myself and most people don't know why because the "customer loves me!". I just tell them it's always what have you done for me lately? I can do 99 things right, but if I screw up on the last one that's what they will remember.

Your tale is the same as far as "what have you done for me lately". You would think for all the great work you've done for nearly 20 years it would mean something. I can drink two beers and not even know I drank them.

Is there a time limit you won't be able to contract for them again? Good companies are hard to come by.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
After much debate we have been re-instated as a vendor for the company. We had a 3 ways zoom between the upper management and the customer in question. I gave a formal apology to the customer for making her feel uncomfortable and she in return stated "Intoxicated" was a bit harsh.

Still, a lesson learned. I only posted because I didn't want any of you guys to fall into a easy trap. I'm not excusing the fact we did have a beer at lunch. We have a "Punch out" rule now..lol!!

Anyway, I'm thankful.:thumbup:

kskboys

Reaction score
I've seen it happen also. Saw a very good carpenter crew get fired mid job because the main carpenter opened a beer as he was leaving for the day.

Perception and image are huge when it comes to business.

kskboys

Reaction score
I own a lawn service. Few years ago I lost a lawn. I walked in to get a haircut, knew the hairdresser, so I gave her a bit "Hello Darling!!".

A customer was getting her hair done that day. As I found out later, she no longer hired me because I was "Too forward" w/ the lady hairdresser. Who, BTW, I'd known since HS and had been friends w/ her for over 20 years.

Lucky it wasn't a contract that mattered!!!!!

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
I own a lawn service. Few years ago I lost a lawn. I walked in to get a haircut, knew the hairdresser, so I gave her a bit "Hello Darling!!".

A customer was getting her hair done that day. As I found out later, she no longer hired me because I was "Too forward" w/ the lady hairdresser. Who, BTW, I'd known since HS and had been friends w/ her for over 20 years.

Lucky it wasn't a contract that mattered!!!!!
I have some choice words but, will not use them..:muttley: That's just ridiculous.

kskboys

Reaction score
One guy I knew was trying to start a business, and his last name was Miller, so part of his schtick was "It's Miller Time." I talked to at least two people who said they wouldn't hire him because they were afraid he'd be drinking beer while working.

People are dumb.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After much debate we have been re-instated as a vendor for the company. We had a 3 ways zoom between the upper management and the customer in question. I gave a formal apology to the customer for making her feel uncomfortable and she in return stated "Intoxicated" was a bit harsh.

Still, a lesson learned. I only posted because I didn't want any of you guys to fall into a easy trap. I'm not excusing the fact we did have a beer at lunch. We have a "Punch out" rule now..lol!!

I'm glad it worked out....if you ever work in my floors, I'll buy the beer... Salud!

HungryLion

Reaction score

That’s wonderful news man. Glad things worked out.

John813

Reaction score
That's pretty crazy they would pull you from rotation even without getting your side of the story.

I mean, anyone could be screwed if the homeowner assumed something, and it's not like they have a breathalyzer for "proof" of intoxication.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great news.

I should be your customer because I give a breathalyzer to anyone coming to the door and if they're sober, they're not coming in. I send them away with a stern lecture. "Don't you ever come here not staggering and slurring your words, the very idea"! All I ask is that they lean in the same direction I am because of my neck.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
That's pretty crazy they would pull you from rotation even without getting your side of the story.

I mean, anyone could be screwed if the homeowner assumed something, and it's not like they have a breathalyzer for "proof" of intoxication.
John, its getting harder and harder to work in peoples personal space. Some of them have learned if they have issue with something or some kind of problem arises during the process, then they will get monies taken off their final bill.

This customer received a 500.00 reduction in her bill because of the incident and having to take a few Mins to join the zoom. I will cover it. Damn, that was an expensive beer...lol!!:facepalm:

Last edited:

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
The good news is we are moving on the to the in-door pool at her house to do the turf next week so, we will make some ground up. I'm going over there every day with breath smelling like baby's milk. :grin: I have to do the coping on that job anyway.

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDFjznNooHk4vYLXJpvOC1SqAFpLU6PvzgWQ&usqp=CAU

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The good news is we are moving on the to the in-door pool at her house to do the turf next week so, we will make some ground up. I'm going over there every day with breath smelling like baby's milk. :grin:

You and the boys should celebrate not losing the contract by shot gunning some beers before the job, lol.

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, but we are going to have a small get together Sunday at my house to celebrate dodging a bullet.

It was our larger account. Never again.

Yep.

I remember back in the early 80's I was doing lawn maintenance for the local daily newspaper...

The press room guys would start printing the paper about 11 AM (this was an afternoon paper at the time) and they would be done about 12:30 PM.

Then was lunch.

Which usually included a couple rounds of splits at one of the local pubs.

Then back to work.

I think back on that and grin...

Totally verboten today of course– which is probably a good thing.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Yep.

I remember back in the early 80's I was doing lawn maintenance for the local daily newspaper...

The press room guys would start printing the paper about 11 AM (this was an afternoon paper at the time) and they would be done about 12:30 PM.

Then was lunch.

Which usually included a couple rounds of splits at one of the local pubs.

Then back to work.

I think back on that and grin...

Totally verboten today of course– which is probably a good thing.
Good memory MW. If its done as responsible adults then I think it even boosts interaction. Its a different time now.