News: Louisiana Tech Pro Day: Milton Williams, Cowboys connection one to watch

morasp

Reaction score
By
Ben Rolfe
Published
2 hours ago

Ahead of the Louisiana Tech Pro Day, Milton Williams is receiving significant buzz, with the Dallas Cowboys seemingly extremely interested.

Louisiana Tech Pro Day: Milton Williams, Cowboys connection one to watch | PFN (profootballnetwork.com)

Overview
Pound for pound, Williams can match his toughness and strength with many of the interior defenders in this draft. Determining his best positional fit will be up to the team that drafts him, but he's a good football player who understands leverage and knows how to use his hands. He'll have some bumpy snaps from time to time due to a lack of length and overall mass, but it shouldn't be debilitating for his NFL career. Williams possesses twitchy power and short-area athleticism, but needs to continue the development of working the hands and feet as one to unlock his potential. His pass rush is relatively pedestrian at this time and will need to be upgraded to become more than just a good backup. Teams will weigh the tape and testing against subpar physical traits, but the end result could land him in the middle rounds as an upside talent.

Strengths
  • Tapered chest with dense, muscular frame and no bad weight.
  • Quick and powerful with above-average leverage.
  • Former high school basketball player with capable footwork.
  • Lifts with accurate hands and upward thrust into opponent.
  • Absorbs contact and keeps eyes into backfield.
  • Works with quick-win twitch against single blocks.
  • Play strength to displace block and make a play.
  • Plants his post leg and battles through the double-team.
  • Core strength fuels his balance and keeps him on his feet.
  • Hand slap to cave the edge and find pathway to the pocket.
  • Quality secondary rush effort.
Sources Tell Us

"He uses his hands really well, which makes his size less of a problem to me." -- Area scout for AFC team

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think they were talking about him on the draft show this week, Dane said he is a day 2 prospect.

RS12

Reaction score
Cowboys scouts were supposed to be there en mass. We know they are interested.

tm1119

Reaction score
Very little tape to find on the internet of him...maybe he’s worthy of a 2nd round pick, but I just hope this isn’t another Trysten Hill situation where they narrow in on a guy and take him 20-25 picks too early because they are so afraid of missing out

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like him in the 3rd. More of a tweener than a DT or DE, but he will be productive. If Quinn is successful here, he is the type of player that could be a chess peice on the DL.

The downside is if Quinn isn't successful, he might not be a fit in other systems

morasp

Reaction score
Very little tape to find on the internet of him...maybe he’s worthy of a 2nd round pick, but I just hope this isn’t another Trysten Hill situation where they narrow in on a guy and take him 20-25 picks too early because they are so afraid of missing out
Good point on the Hill similarities. One difference with Williams is he actually seems to be ranked as a late round 2 round 3 guy. NFL ranks him 65th. I think Hill was considered a day three guy.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good point on the Hill similarities. One difference with Williams is he actually seems to be ranked as a late round 2 round 3 guy. NFL ranks him 65th. I think Hill was considered a day three guy.
Hill was kind of a high/low guy. Some had him solidily on day 2. Some had him day three. People that valued raw ability had him much higher than people who valued tape

tm1119

Reaction score

That’s kind of the similarities I’m talking about tho. I don’t think it’s crazy to say that Hill wouldn’t have made it to our 3rd round pick that year. Maybe, maybe not, but that debate made the FO take Hill in the 2nd. Don’t want to see them take Milton at 44 just because he won’t be there at 75.

morasp

Reaction score
That’s kind of the similarities I’m talking about tho. I don’t think it’s crazy to say that Hill wouldn’t have made it to our 3rd round pick that year. Maybe, maybe not, but that debate made the FO take Hill in the 2nd. Don’t want to see them take Milton at 44 just because he won’t be there at 75.
Good point, there are plenty of good players that will be there at 75 and we have plenty of needs. Someone ranked higher usually falls due to other teams needs.

Gaede

Reaction score
He looks like a player. I was pleasantly surprised, watching some of his clips on twitter

tm1119

Reaction score
6-4/278 are we considering this guy a 4-3 DE or 3T?

Quinn typically uses an oversized SDE in his base that can also kick inside...think Adrian Clayborn or Michael Bennett, plus the Falcons 2nd round pick last year was also 6’3 278 DE/DT tweener Marlon Davidson. Imagine Williams would be viewed in the same vein.

morasp

Reaction score
Quinn typically uses an oversized SDE in his base that can also kick inside...think Adrian Clayborn or Michael Bennett, plus the Falcons 2nd round pick last year was also 6’3 278 DE/DT tweener Marlon Davidson. Imagine Williams would be viewed in the same vein.
Bennett was who I thinking of in the Seahawks defense.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
We definitely need help up the middle. I’m fine for adding DTs, although this dude seems on the small size. I’m sure he could gain weight though, at 6’4.