Recap: Love of the Star: Expectations for the Remainder of The Offseason

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry traded for him. He's a lock, because Jerry won't admit he was wrong about something. Did you just become a fan?
Did you? I've been a Cowboys fan since the inception of this team in 1960. When did you become a fan? There we go with the personal insults, again. Too many here are unaware of the rules of this forum. It casts doubt upon their own knowledge of how to act on this forum. These personal attacks need to stop. It's far too childish for healthy conversations here.

You might be interested to know that I'm looking forward to TC and seeing how Lance fares in the preseason. If he does well, he'll have my support. I've said all along that I'm hoping for his success in the preseason. People like you like to make false assumptions far too easily. This team needs a prospective QB to show the aptitude to become a starter. If Lance qualifies for that status, I'll be thrilled. The test lies ahead. Feel better now?

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
2:30 min mark: Lamb and Dak Contracts. Jones' get contracts done at Camp

5:12 min mark: Overshown OTA to Mini-camp Rehab Progression

9:45 min mark: RB situation and FA from UFL Championship game

12:12 min mark: Trey Lance

16:44 min mark: Review Last Year Draft class and Zimmer Coaching approach
- Sponsors gone
- Overshown Progress
- Mazi didn't always show up to work hard??
- Schoonmaker late bloomer like Ferg, Bennett, Schultz, Fasano,Jarwin & Scott etc

23:20 min mark: Jalen Brooks Progression. 2nd best bad ball catcher.

24:00 min mark: Fehoko and Scott lost their Sponsor.

26:09 min mark: Hendershot maturity issues. Odd man out. Princeton Fant on the Dak stimulus package (Jarwin, Shultz and Ferguson alumni). Schoonmaket might get cut?? (Hot take??)

29:00 min mark: Infomercial and Mailbag questions till end.

Oldschool forum style off/

Disagree that Fergy was a late bloomer. Showed a lot of flash his rookie year. Comparing his situation to Schoon is ridiculous.

Nice to hear Brooks stepping up and not surprised about Hendershot maturity issues. Something happened and rumor from the connected Boys podcasts was he might have been cut if Stephens hadn’t hurt his ACL.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I Just asked you a question, Rockport.
I answered your question. Asking if I'm new (and ignorant of what's happening now isn't too cool, imho.) That's ok, though, I understand your angst, however. Things are frightfully unsettled, lately. Maybe time and further info will help. This team has lotsa work to do.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Did you? I've been a Cowboys fan since the inception of this team in 1960. When did you become a fan? There we go with the personal insults, again. Too many here are unaware of the rules of this forum. It casts doubt upon their own knowledge of how to act on this forum. These personal attacks need to stop. It's far too childish for healthy conversations here.

You might be interested to know that I'm looking forward to TC and seeing how Lance fares in the preseason. If he does well, he'll have my support. I've said all along that I'm hoping for his success in the preseason. People like you like to make false assumptions far too easily. This team needs a prospective QB to show the aptitude to become a starter. If Lance qualifies for that status, I'll be thrilled. The test lies ahead. Feel better now?
+1.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
According to Broaddus, Trey Lance has plenty of work to do before he's ready to do what he'll need to do to win a backup QB spot Will he get the amount of work he needs to develop as needed? So far, he isn't getting enough reps to show strong indications of winning a roster spot.

Admittedly, it's early yet, but by the time training camp gets underway, we'll see if he's allowed sufficient action to develop impressively enough to have a good chance to stick around. It's anyone's guess if he'll be awarded the reps needed to win a roster spot. Hopefully, we'll see.
he's saying that like it's the 2nd week of camp, it's OTA's etc sheesh lol

Qcard

Reaction score
According to Broaddus, Trey Lance has plenty of work to do before he's ready to do what he'll need to do to win a backup QB spot Will he get the amount of work he needs to develop as needed? So far, he isn't getting enough reps to show strong indications of winning a roster spot.

Admittedly, it's early yet, but by the time training camp gets underway, we'll see if he's allowed sufficient action to develop impressively enough to have a good chance to stick around. It's anyone's guess if he'll be awarded the reps needed to win a roster spot. Hopefully, we'll see.
Trey Lance has to earn his Training Camp Reps by progressing.

Already Cooper Rush is taking away some of Trey Lance snaps to give the back-ups and fringe players a chance to compete.

When the Cowboys did not give Lance the 5th year option clearly he did not perform well enough last year off the field to give the Cowboys leverage over Prescott.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
2:30 min mark: Lamb and Dak Contracts. Jones' get contracts done at Camp

5:12 min mark: Overshown OTA to Mini-camp Rehab Progression

9:45 min mark: RB situation and FA from UFL Championship game

12:12 min mark: Trey Lance

16:44 min mark: Review Last Year Draft class and Zimmer Coaching approach
- Sponsors gone
- Overshown Progress
- Mazi didn't always show up to work hard??
- Schoonmaker late bloomer like Ferg, Bennett, Schultz, Fasano,Jarwin & Scott etc

23:20 min mark: Jalen Brooks Progression. 2nd best bad ball catcher.

24:00 min mark: Fehoko and Scott lost their Sponsor.

26:09 min mark: Hendershot maturity issues. Odd man out. Princeton Fant on the Dak stimulus package (Jarwin, Shultz and Ferguson alumni). Schoonmaket might get cut?? (Hot take??)

29:00 min mark: Infomercial and Mailbag questions till end.

Oldschool forum style off/

yeah thanks for saving me time I have to watch the video which I normally don't anyway...

As a long time fan since 1981 I have 0 expectations...

I go into these seasons just hoping for success the love of the game I like watching football specifically the Dallas Cowboys...

I don't think the contracts may get completely done in camp but I believe something will get done on the precipice of the season you know like the Chris Jones contract took up till a week before game 1, this happens sometimes. When someone talks about Overshown, you would think they wouldn't skip out on also wondering how the rehab went with Trayvon diggs which in my opinion is a much bigger deal given that we didn't bring Gilmore back and his position a lot more backpedaling moving and change of direction I mean I realize that linebackers do that too but I'm more following that updates...

My second focus for the training camp and preseason would be not jalen brooks, I want to see how they integrate Turpin as a possible number three option more so than anyone else I realize that'll change by game plans and situational football but I believe the plan is to make him more of a #3 wide receiver take some special teams duties away which leads me to my other pet cat from last year that didn't get his real chance and that would be deuce Vaughn they could put him on special teams and then have a small package for him to do things as a change of pace scat back, get him going round the edges ie add him to the running back room because I really see him being able to be similar to Tony Pollard as far as his first season in the league where they had him behind zeke and he was seldom used but used enough that you can see his talent, let Turpin be the wide receiver room they can split duties on special teams that's what I'm hoping for...​
And as far as the unknowns you know like the surprise of camp might be and the shocking that game one we might have a different running back room but one of them might be Nathaniel Pete he literally does remind me of Tony Pollard why he's being left out of all these conversations about the running back rotation I don't know he's young and like Tony powered he wasn't overused in college I think he's underrated he's got a little bit of speed but he also has enough toughness to take the ball whenever the defense thinks he's just gonna go around the edge and take it up the middle IE a whole lot like Tony Pollard I think he makes the team if this coaching staff doesn't use the simple way out and just try to just plug people in because of their name and who was on the roster already I I believe Nathaniel Pete could have something and he will prove it in pre season given the chance...​
Lastly yes it would be interesting to see how Trey Lance battles with Cooper rush see who might come out on top....

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Broaddus mentioned that Mazi's shoulder is still bothering him and the same thing with Schoonmaker is still bothering him. Both of them will be duly attended to by the trainers and medical staff before anything is likely to be decided in terms of more additions to be made. Adding help may or may not be attempted until more is known on their health situations or otherwise fixed.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I will say it again ........this kid's confidence is shot but I would gladly sign him to a 2-3 year backup type deal.
Remains to be seen if Lance is deemed mentally and physically fit to assume more responsibility than he already has. I'm willing to wait longer to get a better idea of what he has in store for this team before any more commitments.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Remains to be seen if Lance is deemed mentally and physically fit to assume more responsibility than he already has. I'm willing to wait longer.
I agree but I wonder if the pressure of where he was drafted and how much the 49er gave up has gotten to him. In other words, is he still trying to prove or even thinks he can prove he was worth it? He needs to forget all that and focus on proving he can be a quality backup NFL QB. This will give him a chance to build confidence and learn more about himself and the game WITHOUT the pressure.

Qcard

Reaction score
I will say it again ........this kid's confidence is shot but I would gladly sign him to a 2-3 year backup type deal.
Trey Lance should have played in the USFL this past off-season if he wasn't going to bulk up and develop an NFL body to play QB.

How does a QB with a big arm lack the ability to throw effectively to the sideline but has a cannon down the field??

Answer: It's called weak Abs/core and legs

Dude came back to OTAs with same skinny legs and child body.

If Trey Lance showed up to Camp looking like a Baby Cam Newton I'd think he has chance. I don't think Trey Lance is developing physically.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Already Cooper Rush is taking away some of Trey Lance snaps to give the back-ups and fringe players a chance to compete.

When the Cowboys did not give Lance the 5th year option clearly he did not perform well enough last year off the field to give the Cowboys leverage over Prescott.
Do you know how much a 5th year option for a quarterback is. :huh: Green Bay didn’t even pick up Jordan Loves option. They negotiated a smaller contract. If Lance shows anything he will be resigned as the backup for Dak.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
A 4th round pick for a guy with 809 career passes in high school, college, and the NFL. Spencer Rattler, the Saints 4th round pick this year had 1200 plus passing attempts in high school alone, and then another 1300 in college. There are "projections" and then there is flat out guessing. Quarterbacks must throw. They must be able to read defenses and make progressions. Lance simply does not have the experience to be a high-functioning passer at the elite level.

Lance’s 318 Pass Attempts in college are the fewest by any 1st round QB in the last 40 years, and it was against FCS defenders.

Kyle Shanahan, widely considered one of the top offensive minds in football, said no thanks to this guy for a Quarterback drafted at the end of the 7th round.

Jerry traded for him in year 3 of his rookie deal and after training camp. His contract expires the exact same time as Dak's. In what world did Jerry imagine Lance having a chance to show himself so the team could make an informed decision before they both hit the open market?

This was a colossally stupid trade. Not to mention, he didn't even bother telling his Head Coach and alleged QB guru.

I don't care about the 4th pick so much but they outbid everyone by 3 rounds AND there was so much information out there that showed Lance was not the guy.

They paid Lance a 2-year $6,250,714 deal with no real chance to play in those 2 years and only 1 training camp.

Meanwhile, the Saints will pay 4th round pick Spencer Rattler $4,356,480 over the next 4 years with 4 training camps to develop him.

Dumb trade and the result of having an egomaniac owner who serves as the casual GM.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What?
They did not pick up his 5th year option because it would be $25 million cap hit. And not knowing more of what he can do it was the right thing to do.
It has nothing to do with Dak or leverage. It was a good opportunity to use a 4th round pick on a possible future QB.

And there was no guarantee if they had that 4th round, they would have selected a RB. What if they had it, and used it for a QB? Then the Dak fans would not be as upset. Thinking a 4th rounder could take over for the current 4th rounder. But a former 1st round, 3rd pick overall, they seem to thing he is a threat. Which he is not, at this point, nor probably for the year.

fivetwos

Reaction score

The disrespect shown between one another around here is flat out unbelievable at times.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
So, evidently you don't believe there's any chance he'll stink it up and fail to be given a free pass. I think you're counting your chicken well before it's ready to hatch. He's far from being a lock if he's nearly as unprepared to be given something he doesn't deserve, as many seem to think. He has work to do before any decision will be forthcoming. Let's not assume anything that needs to be earned will result in his automatic success. We'll see.
Jerry traded for him a few months ago. It takes years for him to admit a mistake and move on, even if we're talking about a backup. Lance is a lock for 2024.