Love Witten's toughness, but...

wick

Reaction score
...is he hurting us more than helping right now? He has four catches in his last four games and has become a complete non-factor on offense and especially on third downs. Would we be better off resting him and trying to get him healthy?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
It's idiotic playing him right now and risking serious injury not to mention he can't dive for Romo's sidewinders. Bennett is capable of holding down the fort imo. Let him rest, more like make him rest...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I find it funny that a team that has been cautious to the point of ridiculousness with injuries to rookies and role players would be so reckless with a starter. He almost got murdered on that hit yesterday, he should have been resting. His stats have taken a crazy hit since he's been hurting. You know if you ask him, he's going to say he can go, so make the decision for him to rest. No way should he have even been out there yesterday.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
wick;2440313 said:
...is he hurting us more than helping right now? He has four catches in his last four games and has become a complete non-factor on offense and especially on third downs. Would we be better off resting him and trying to get him healthy?

After the Seahawks game the team will get a break with 11 days before facing Pitt. Witten is still a big part even when the numbers do not show up on the stat sheet after all his responsibilities go beyond just catching the ball

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
He is one tough S.O.B. that's for sure! But, I do think the guy needs a rest, but if he can contribute for this upcoming game he should, then he will have some time to rehab his injuries. Only the player knows his own body and mind.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Witten is one of the best blocking TE's in the league. To suggest that he's hurting us more than helping is ridiculous. TE's do more than catch passes.

I'd think with the injury to Kosier and Anderson's shaky play, the thought of Witten not playing should be sacrilegious.

WG5516

Reaction score
I was more so upset at the fact that the coaching staff continued to play the starters late in the game. That didn't make sense to me. Esepcially with all the injuries we have.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He has made some exceptional blocks the last couple of weeks.

I just don't think we have thrown his way as much.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
wick;2440313 said:

If Witten is on the field he is always a factor... Defenses around the league know better...

I do wish he was strung out a bit less when Romo is off target on some of his throws...

Bottom line if he's healthy count on him being out there... this aint badminton;)

triplets92

Reaction score
wick;2440313 said:

Even if he's not having huge numbers defense still has to respect him so i say if he aint dead keep playing him to take off some coverage schems from roy and owens

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Main thing is Dallas is not in a position to sit anyone. Witten is a big part of the offense and given the fact we have little room for error he is going to play. If we don't win what were you saving him for, that goes for any of our starters?

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Hopefully the Boys can put the Hawks away early in the game, that way the stars can get their much needed rest. Was fairly suprised a few more didn't get pulled in the 9'er game, but whats done is done.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
If he can play let him play. Him just being on the field forces the defenses to respect that fact.

superpunk

Reaction score
tomson75;2440345 said:
Witten is one of the best blocking TE's in the league. To suggest that he's hurting us more than helping is ridiculous. TE's do more than catch passes.

I'd think with the injury to Kosier and Anderson's shaky play, the thought of Witten not playing should be sacrilegious.

This is the best point in the entire thread. Everyone should read it twice.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
superpunk;2440432 said:
This is the best point in the entire thread. Everyone should read it twice.

Obviously he's a good TE, no one is agreeing he's hurting us. The argument really is, should he be resting his ribs. From the blocking I saw from Bennett in his limited time, it's pretty easy to see we need Witten out there but I think we should be able to beat Seattle without him.

superpunk

Reaction score
TheCount;2440439 said:
Obviously he's a good TE, no one is agreeing he's hurting us. The argument really is, should he be resting his ribs. From the blocking I saw from Bennett in his limited time, it's pretty easy to see we need Witten out there but I think we should be able to beat Seattle without him.

The fear of seeing Tony Curtis on the field any more than he has to be makes me say play Witten as long as Witten wants to play. It's not like we can just go on auto-pilot and make the playoffs. it's desperate times.

Smith22

Reaction score
tomson75;2440345 said:

Agreed. Let Romo get injured due to a missed block by one of our backups in a game where Witten could have played. This forum would be going nuts!

kramskoi

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2440361 said:
Main thing is Dallas is not in a position to sit anyone. Witten is a big part of the offense and given the fact we have little room for error he is going to play. If we don't win what were you saving him for, that goes for any of our starters?
right, because if the playoffs started today, guess who'd be staying home...

i'm afraid that its all hands on deck until the end this year, which might help them to smash the December jinx...Dallas is really in a precarious situation in regards to the NFC South, the outcome of which has been thrown into disarray by Atlanta's win over Carolina yesterday.

Atlanta may end up having more to say in whether or not Dallas makes the playoffs...Dallas would have better prospects against Tampa [head to head] and Carolina if they continue to slip down the stretch.

Finally, Dallas really needs Washington to lose this week against NYG and next week at Baltimore. This would leave them a cushion against further losses.

However they do need to take care of business against both the division and the conference. I think they can ill afford to lose more than one game the rest of the way because, for the moment at least, the conference is highly competitive over the two wildcard slots and Dallas will surely need help from other teams, which is a stark reversal of fortune compared to last year.