LSU - Bama NC Game Thread

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4370033 said:
Thing is outside of Bama LSU put no fewer than 35 points on team. Bama is the only team to hold LSU to 9 points in the 1st meeting and 0 in the second meeting and allowed LSU to cross the 50 only 1 time in the game.

LSU put 40 on Oregon, 41 on Florida, 45 on Auburn and yet could not cross the 50 but 1 time vs Bama?

Yep. :)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
tyke1doe;4370047 said:

I found it amazing that on the season Bama gave up 9 TD's? and 2 came off kick returns.

For me I want to see a playoff system, I want to see what would have happened with an LSU and OSU matchup. I just have a hard time saying what the results would be in a game that was never played. Sure LSU or Bama may have ran all over OSU but I don't know that for a fact and never will because it did not happen.

This is the system the conferences and teams agreed to when the BCS was put in place so this is what we go by. I accept that and hope for better down the road. As I said many times before it beats the old system before BCS was put in a place and #1 and #2 seldom played against each other. Now they do

revospeed

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4370033 said:
Thing is outside of Bama LSU put no fewer than 35 points on team. Bama is the only team to hold LSU to 9 points in the 1st meeting and 0 in the second meeting and allowed LSU to cross the 50 only 1 time in the game.

LSU put 40 on Oregon, 41 on Florida, 45 on Auburn and yet could not cross the 50 but 1 time vs Bama?

The fewest points OSU scored against a team was 30 on the road against A&M, and you're telling me that they wouldn't have scored more points than the 9 total points that LSU scored on Alabama in two games this year? OSU held the #6 offense in the nation to 10 (really 3) points on Dec. 3rd. I don't think it's that crazy to think that OSU could hold Alabama to 17 and score 20 on them.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4370059 said:
I found it amazing that on the season Bama gave up 9 TD's? and 2 came off kick returns.

For me I want to see a playoff system, I want to see what would have happened with an LSU and OSU matchup. I just have a hard time saying what the results would be in a game that was never played. Sure LSU or Bama may have ran all over OSU but I don't know that for a fact and never will because it did not happen.

This is the system the conferences and teams agreed to when the BCS was put in place so this is what we go by. I accept that and hope for better down the road. As I said many times before it beats the old system before BCS was put in a place and #1 and #2 seldom played against each other. Now they do

Correct. We're all dealing with hypotheticals since OSU didn't play Alabama or LSU. I would like to see a playoff too. In fact, I think this game may push a Plus 1 system closer to reality.

I just have hard time believing OSU would have beaten or even stayed close with either of these teams.

OSU gave up 37 points to Iowa State.

LSU beats Oregon 40-27, the same team that beat Stanford 53-30, the same team (Stanford) that loss to OSU 41-38.

Oregon had more yards and scored more points than OSU. And didn't score less than 34 points in any other game. Yet LSU's defense basically shut down Oregon and slapped 40 on them.

And Alabama holds LSU to 0 points? :eek: And doesn't let the Tigers get pass midfield save for one time? :eek:

Defense wins championships. Say hello the BCS Champions for 2011 - the Crimson Tide of Alabama.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
revospeed;4370066 said:
The fewest points OSU scored against a team was 30 on the road against A&M, and you're telling me that they wouldn't have scored more points than the 9 total points that LSU scored on Alabama in two games this year? OSU held the #6 offense in the nation to 10 (really 3) points on Dec. 3rd. I don't think it's that crazy to think that OSU could hold Alabama to 17 and score 20 on them.

The way Bama was playing last night I don't know. We will never know since they did not play OSU. It is easy for anyone to throw out hypothetical statements of if this team played they would have put up more points? I don't know that.

Please do not take that as my disrespecting your view I'm not but none of us know what would have happened and that is the big reason I would like to see a playoff system to help eliminate doubt and put it in the hands of the team

Doomsday101

Reaction score
tyke1doe;4370072 said:
Correct. We're all dealing with hypotheticals since OSU didn't play Alabama or LSU. I would like to see a playoff too. In fact, I think this game may push a Plus 1 system closer to reality.

I just have hard time believing OSU would have beaten or even stayed close with either of these teams.

OSU gave up 37 points to Iowa State.

LSU beats Oregon 40-27, the same team that beat Stanford 53-30, the same team (Stanford) that loss to OSU 41-38.

Oregon had more yards and scored more points than OSU. And didn't score less than 34 points in any other game. Yet LSU's defense basically shut down Oregon and slapped 40 on them.

And Alabama holds LSU to 0 points? :eek: And doesn't let the Tigers get pass midfield save for one time? :eek:

Defense wins championships. Say hello the BCS Champions for 2011 - the Crimson Tide of Alabama.

I agree pretty much with you all the way and as for Bama they are the National Champs and went out and earned that title last night.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
revospeed;4370018 said:
What categories? 29th in YPG? 15th in PPG? A good offense for sure, but not great. Alabama and LSU are great teams, but in all honesty they look inept on offense and their special teams leaves a lot to be desired. I'll give them credit, they are two of the top teams in the nation, but I'm not comfortable calling them the best in the nation when they have the same record and didn't play as tough of a schedule as OSU just because they beat eachother a couple times.

Talk all you want about how great SEC defenses are, but they'd feel pretty nervous going up against an offense like OSU's.

3 of the SEC schools were in the top 25 in PPG.
4 of the Big 12 schools were in the top 25 in PPG.
6 of the 12 SEC schools were in the top 25 in Points Allowed.
0 of the Big 12 schools were in the top 25 in Points Allowed.

So Offensively, the SEC had one fewer top offense, but half of the conference was a top 25 defense compared to zero from the big 12. So you could very easily make the same argument about big 12 schools, they only put up those yards on the terrible defensive talent in that conference.

LSU had a much tougher schedule then OSU. Bama you could make a fair argument against their schedule. But LSU beat 8 ranked teams this year.

Oh well, it doesn't really matter, OSU should have/could have but didn't. If they do what they were supposed to have done and beat Iowa State, none of this matters. They would have had a shot, but they didn't. So it really doesn't matter.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
revospeed;4370066 said:

I don't know. OSU only held three teams under 20 points. Meanwhile it let the vaunted Lousiana-Lafayette, Tulsa and Iowa State score 34, 33, and 37 respectively.

Meanwhile, Alabama only allowed one team to score more than 20 points.

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing that a team that lets the likes of Tulsa, LL and Iowa State score 30-plus points is going to prevent Alabama from scoring 20.

Furthermore, based on what LSU's defense did to Oregon, keeping them at 21 points and Alabama's defense is by far better than LSU's, I have no problems believing that OSU wouldn't be running wild on Alabama. Would they have scored? Yes, I believe so. Shutting a major powerhouse out is rare.

But I don't believe OSU's quarterback would have had much time to complete passes.

But that's why we need a playoff game.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
And it looks like Alabama let the vaunted Georgia Southern team score 21 on them.

Of course OSU would've let Bama score some -- their defense isn't that good. But they wouldn't have gotten shut out, either, and would've put up a much better offensive showing than that eyesore last night.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4370151 said:
And it looks like Alabama let the vaunted Georgia Southern team score 21 on them.

Of course OSU would've let Bama score some -- their defense isn't that good. But they wouldn't have gotten shut out, either, and would've put up a much better offensive showing than that eyesore last night.

Maybe, maybe not. LSU was more than capable of putting up big points they did it in every game except in the 2 games vs bama.

The game where Bama did give up 21 points 2 of the TD came off kick returns not the offense.

ringmaster

Reaction score
newlander;4369299 said:
saban is a pro coach....and Miles isn't:)
Actually Les Miles was on the Cowboys coaching staff as TEs coach in the Campo era so he does have some NFL experience.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4370151 said:

Actually, Alabama's defense allowed Georgia Southern to score 14 points. Seven of those 21 points came on a kickoff return. And this after Alabama was up 17-0 and 24-7.

Oh, by the way, Georgia Southern was 9-1 coming into that game.

Let? :laugh2:

Even with the score 21-0, the contest was a two score game up until five minutes into the game. OSU would likely have scored, but the score would probably have been something like 48-17 and would likely have been decided well before five minutes left in the game. ;)

revospeed

Reaction score
tyke1doe;4370689 said:
Actually, Alabama's defense allowed Georgia Southern to score 14 points. Seven of those 21 points came on a kickoff return. And this after Alabama was up 17-0 and 24-7.

Oh, by the way, Georgia Southern was 9-1 coming into that game.

Let? :laugh2:

Even with the score 21-0, the contest was a two score game up until five minutes into the game. OSU would likely have scored, but the score would probably have been something like 48-17 and would likely have been decided well before five minutes left in the game. ;)

Alabama held the #17 offense in the nation to 6 points in two games. OSU held the #6 offense to 10. I think you need to give OSU's defense more credit, there is no way that Alabama puts up 41 and OSU only gets 17. I highly doubt you've watched hardly any OSU games if you think that mediocre (at best) offense could put up that many points.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
MC KAos;4369289 said:
really? you should see the stats that west virginia put up on LSU, if they didnt have an atrocious defense they might have won.

Over 500 yards if I remember right, .. I was at that game.

But it wasn't our defense that was atrocious, it was special teams.

Their punter was the MVP of the game, IMO.

His punts pinned us inside of our 10 or 5 like seven or eight times. It was awful.

But it seemed like they were always starting their drives at their own 40. Field position was a killer.

Plus they had a KO return for a TD just when we had closed it to 27-21, and it was a game again at the end of the 3rd qtr. We had just stopped their offense twice in a row and had scored ourselves.

Then the KO return, and you could just feel the life sucked out of the stadium.

Special teams, ... and #7 was blitzing one time just before the half, jumped up real high and tipped a pass at the LOS, spun around and found the ball in the air, picked it off and returned it to the 1 or 2. He is a great athlete.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
revospeed;4371054 said:
Alabama held the #17 offense in the nation to 6 points in two games. OSU held the #6 offense to 10. I think you need to give OSU's defense more credit, there is no way that Alabama puts up 41 and OSU only gets 17. I highly doubt you've watched hardly any OSU games if you think that mediocre (at best) offense could put up that many points.

First, yes, I did see OSU games - three actually.

Second, I remind you Alabama had the TOP RANKED DEFENSE in the country.

Third, OSU played OU without WR Ryan Broyles. It's not like the #6 ranked offense was playing with all its weapons.

Fourth, Alabama's offense isn't explosive in the passing game. But it doesn't need to be. Alabama generally reached 30 to 40 points by playing great defense, getting turnovers and methodically wearing teams down. Yes, I believe Alabama would have scored a lot of points against OSU. OSU's defense wasn't that great at all. It allowed three teams not even ranked to score 30 plus points on them.

And has already been stated, the Big 12 put up big offensive numbers against teams with horrible defenses. So those offensive rankings don't tell much that much. Meanwhile, Alabama's D shut down LSU and Arkansas. And we know that LSU shut down Oregon. Alabama's D is better than LSU's. I don't think it's far-fetched to believe Alabama could put 40 on OSU and hold OSU to 17.

But we'll never know.