Luepke "going to be a big part of our offense"

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
"Really like the work that our fullback [Hunter Luepke] is doing," Jones said. "He's very instrumental, and of course he's going to be a big part of this offense and he's earning it. Mike [McCarthy] loves his versatility, we all do."
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/updates-august-2024

I've thought ever since we signed Freeman and Zeke (and drafted Beebe with the idea of converting him to center) that we would use the fullback more this season. Since our run game coordinator and offensive line coach prefer the inside zone running game, the backs we've added are better between the tackles and our two best linemen are the left and right guards, it makes sense that we'd use the fullback more to lead the way. I would assume that if Luepke is used more that would mean less two-tight end, so more 21 and less 12 personnel.

Of course, this is Jerry speaking, so it could mean nothing. We'll see how it plays out.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

I've thought ever since we signed Freeman and Zeke (and drafted Beebe with the idea of converting him to center) that we would use the fullback more this season. Since our run game coordinator and offensive line coach prefer the inside zone running game, the backs we've added are better between the tackles and our two best linemen are the left and right guards, it makes sense that we'd use the fullback more to lead the way. I would assume that if Luepke is used more that would mean less two-tight end, so more 21 and less 12 personnel.

Of course, this is Jerry speaking, so it could mean nothing. We'll see how it plays out.
Cowboys haven't used the fullback for significant carries since Robert Newhouse. The game has changed, not happening now, either...

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Cowboys haven't used the fullback for significant carries since Robert Newhouse. The game has changed, not happening now, either...
I didn't open the link that the dude who wants six posted, but from what he posted I think they mean he's going to be like a Moose FB instead of a Newhouse type FB who runs the ball.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Game has changed a whole lot since Newhouse. I don't think anyone should expect Luepke to get "significant carries." He will used more as a blocker and receiver than runner. Essentially, his position is the same as the second tight end, except he's better suited to root out LBs coming out of the backfield and will get the occasional dive carry.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it.
I do think McCarthy has a history of using the position more when he has a good one. It will be up to Luepke to show he deserves the snaps over Schoonmaker. But if our focus is going to be between the tackles, it makes more sense to use the fullback. Tight ends can motion into the backfield, but they are generally not as good as blockers from that spot. If we were going to run more on the edges, two tight ends makes more sense.

HungryLion

Reaction score

When they talk about having a bigger role for him. I don’t think that means 2 back sets with a lead fullback. I think that means him actually getting carries and being in on pass plays.

That I could see btw. Big Mike always got his FB involved in Green Bay too.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I didn't open the link that the dude who wants six posted, but from what he posted I think they mean he's going to be like a Moose FB instead of a Newhouse type FB who runs the ball.
And the biggest question is whether he can block like Moose. In college, he was more of a single back than fullback, with his running and receiving ability being his biggest attractions. In the pros, he's got to be able to dig out linebackers.

gimmesix

Reaction score
When they talk about having a bigger role for him. I don’t think that means 2 back sets with a lead fullback. I think that means him actually getting carries and being in on pass plays.

That I could see btw. Big Mike always got his FB involved in Green Bay too.
I do think he can be a weapon out of the backfield as a receiver. I don't see him getting too many carries, though.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Even that would be a lot for him, last year he had 6 carries and 4 targets. And as far as being used like Moose, in 151 games even he had only 232 carries and 313 targets. Or about 1.5 carries and 2 receptions per game.

Not saying it's not going to happen, but even he did what Moose did, it's not going to be much help.

rambo2

Reaction score
Even that would be a lot for him, last year he had 6 carries and 4 targets. And as far as being used like Moose, in 151 games even he had only 232 carries and 313 targets. Or about 1.5 carries and 2 receptions per game.

Not saying it's not going to happen, but even he did what Moose did, it's not going to be much help.
Their offense should be very good.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm really tired of these coaches talking about fullbacks and then only getting them 1 play a game. Well see if they actually have a plan to get leupke on the field with offense or not..

rambo2

Reaction score
I'm really tired of these coaches talking about fullbacks and then only getting them 1 play a game. Well see if they actually have a plan to get leupke on the field with offense or not..
He sure looked good today.