Luepke "going to be a big part of our offense"

Chasing6

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/updates-august-2024

I've thought ever since we signed Freeman and Zeke (and drafted Beebe with the idea of converting him to center) that we would use the fullback more this season. Since our run game coordinator and offensive line coach prefer the inside zone running game, the backs we've added are better between the tackles and our two best linemen are the left and right guards, it makes sense that we'd use the fullback more to lead the way. I would assume that if Luepke is used more that would mean less two-tight end, so more 21 and less 12 personnel.

Of course, this is Jerry speaking, so it could mean nothing. We'll see how it plays out.
Should have been last year. We struggle identifying talent on our own roster. Just look at Ferguson.

J12B

Reaction score
My blood pressure just went up reading your post. Imagine me at the time it actually happened. I was at my aunt's house. There were little kids running around. I had to stay silent.
:laugh:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The prospects of Luepke doing what Newhouse once did will either work or it won't. It really sounds like Jerry is convinced that it will work. Whether it happens to be true or not, it might save the FO the expense of signing a more expensive RB than utilizing Luepke. As always, money is a prime motivator with the Cowboys' FO. We'll likely see if this plan works in preseason. If so, we can count on seeing it in the regular season, as well.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This seems like an awful idea.
It's possible that you're right about that. I think it could be tried in TC and the preseason, though. The results would likely be a deciding factor in the same procedure being used in the regular season. If it doesn't work out, getting a RB signed after the final cuts could be done.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cowboys haven't used the fullback for significant carries since Robert Newhouse. The game has changed, not happening now, either...
Everybody holds that fumble against him that was simply a hand off never secured more than it was a fumble guy was nervous maybe if he's given the ball more he wouldn't do that and I see this guy as more than a fullback he's a big running back so if he's better in short yardage and maybe go out and get some passes and here and there like I don't wanna say moose but some fullbacks are utilized around the NFL they're full back over there in San Francisco gets enough work to say that he's a part of their offense.... It's about how you utilize your players in packages and they didn't do that well last year so maybe he's smarting up and I mean Mike McCarthy needs to use Turpin more he needs to use other players more and he overly focused on trying to force the ball to Pollard last year and we saw it... It ruined our run game because they didn't bring in the right players for the right play calls in my opinion but hey I'm just a fan here but I think they've thought about this and I bet if you'd used hunter more at the beginning of the year he wouldn't have been that nervous and wouldn't have took that hand off like that at the goal line the guy needs reps like everyone else..

I think it's an all out competition with all the running backs and we're hearing good news out of all of them it looks like they're really fighting for jobs I thought Nathaniel Pete would be mentioned a lot more because he's my pet cat but apparently Mike likes Royce and hunter and obviously zeke will make the team... And I doubt they cut Rico so it looks like that's your running backs..

Hunter
Zeke
Royce
Rico

Use KT in more behind the LOS runs and slot motion, give lamb break no run plays for him..but lets make this offense more explosive by simply rotating the guys properly..KT my opinion was severely underutilized last year..

However I'm hoping maybe preseason Nathaniel Peat opens some eyes cause he looks like Tony Pollard 2.0 in my opinion he should be on this team and not left on the bench like Vaughn and Turpin were last year far too often when we were needing offense and somehow Mike McCarthy wanted to stay in the create the run game with the short and motion plays by wide receivers and I know that's his offense but I want to see better....

blueblood70

Reaction score
no definitely the FB missed the handoff, stop the nonsense I thought we weren't supposed to bring up the quarterback in a non-quarterback, thread and someone always has to find a way to start shizen...

However that happens when you have a kid who doesn't get the ball enough because you're offensive coordinator slash head coach doesn't know how to utilize enough running backs in the right situations and gave Tony far too many carries last year and the situations where others should have got it in my opinion he would not have missed that handoff had he not been so nervous and it being a goal line situation and a tight game and you give this kid cold the ball like that and he just had big eyes because it would have been a touchdown and he just forgot to take the ball he didn't give the right pocket as they call it when you have your arms open if you've ever played football that's the fullback slash running backs job...

blueblood70

Reaction score
This seems like an awful idea.
He's actually better than you think he's a hybrid fullback a big guy that could probably be good in short yard instead of getting the chance instead of using Tony Pollard so much last year in situations that were not beneficial to his skill set this kid wouldn't have been in that situation but go look at his highlights from college he's got enough movement to be a running back he's big enough to be a fullback but he could be a nice short yard adoption even though we brought zeke back this is Mike McCarthy's fault last year literally forced the ball to Tony so much and even Rico didn't get enough carries in situational football Tony should have been left just the way he always has been big money or not let him eat on the edges and utilize him for his speed and they did not do that they forced him into the number one spot and it proved that he should have never been the number one running back...

CCBoy

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/updates-august-2024

I've thought ever since we signed Freeman and Zeke (and drafted Beebe with the idea of converting him to center) that we would use the fullback more this season. Since our run game coordinator and offensive line coach prefer the inside zone running game, the backs we've added are better between the tackles and our two best linemen are the left and right guards, it makes sense that we'd use the fullback more to lead the way. I would assume that if Luepke is used more that would mean less two-tight end, so more 21 and less 12 personnel.

Of course, this is Jerry speaking, so it could mean nothing. We'll see how it plays out.
From the days as a wildcatter Jerry has protected the dangers and risks of his employees. He supports his men fully as competitors.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jerry Jones needs to forget about the fullback and realize that comments like this undermine the entire staff and is a large part of why they can’t seem to get the team ready to play vs teams that they aren’t clearly better than.

Not to mention….why tell the rest of the league what you plan to do? Not the first time I guess.

Reactions: CWR

Creeper

Reaction score
It depends on what they mean by a "big part". Is that like "all-in"?

I'd love to see him get a few more carries, especially since they don't really have a standout RB. I think he could be an good short-yardage RB, if he can hold onto the football. I'd like to see him get 2 or 3 carries per game.

It is really too bad he dropped that ball against Miami last year. That should have been a huge win for Dallas. But after that, he never touched the ball again.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Jerry talking out of his arse once again. And needs to cut down on his JWB intake. Doubt Luepke will be anything but a blocking back in his few limited plays he is in there.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It depends on what they mean by a "big part". Is that like "all-in"?

I'd love to see him get a few more carries, especially since they don't really have a standout RB. I think he could be an good short-yardage RB, if he can hold onto the football. I'd like to see him get 2 or 3 carries per game.

It is really too bad he dropped that ball against Miami last year. That should have been a huge win for Dallas. But after that, he never touched the ball again.
The role of defense is not set up to gamble fully.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry talking out of his arse once again. And needs to cut down on his JWB intake. Doubt Luepke will be anything but a blocking back in his few limited plays he is in there.
He's just supporting his team and schemes and growth aren't being revealed. Go on and just complain about the past. And Luepke has roles.