Luepke "going to be a big part of our offense"

RoboQB

Reaction score
no definitely the FB missed the handoff, stop the nonsense I thought we weren't supposed to bring up the quarterback in a non-quarterback, thread and someone always has to find a way to start shizen...

However that happens when you have a kid who doesn't get the ball enough because you're offensive coordinator slash head coach doesn't know how to utilize enough running backs in the right situations and gave Tony far too many carries last year and the situations where others should have got it in my opinion he would not have missed that handoff had he not been so nervous and it being a goal line situation and a tight game and you give this kid cold the ball like that and he just had big eyes because it would have been a touchdown and he just forgot to take the ball he didn't give the right pocket as they call it when you have your arms open if you've ever played football that's the fullback slash running backs job...
As someone who both played and coached the position, that fumble is on the QB. NFL stats agree.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. The fumble was charged to Dak. Not Luepke.
Dak hit him above the numbers, high on his chest plate.
Why they gave up on the FB after that is inexcusable.
Fumbles are attributed to the last person with possession of the ball. Since Luepke never had possession, it's on Dak.

rambo2

Reaction score
Jerry talking out of his arse once again. And needs to cut down on his JWB intake. Doubt Luepke will be anything but a blocking back in his few limited plays he is in there.
It didn't look like that yesterday. He looks like a good option in the passing game.

conner01

Reaction score
Cowboys haven't used the fullback for significant carries since Robert Newhouse. The game has changed, not happening now, either...
I don’t think his impact on the run game will be him carrying the ball. It’s gonna be about blocking and a few touches in the passing game with maybe a run mixed in every once in awhile. He didn’t block a lot in college but he showed a willingness last year and another camp to learn the proper technique and he might be a solid blocker. Probably not a Moose but solid and he does have solid pass catching skills

RoboQB

Reaction score
They always give it to the QB on the exchange. The rb has to have it tucked before he gets charged with it.
I'm aware. "Tucked" equals possession.
I see some who wrongly think it's on the FB.

shabazz

Reaction score
Leupke a BIG part of the offense?.....didn't see that one coming

Praxit

Reaction score
I can see Luepke being more utility player than Vaughn. Pass protection blocker, GL fullback, lead blocker..etc

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
blocking and a few touches in the passing game with maybe a run mixed in every once in awhile
That's not a significant contribution to the offense. Blocking is what a fullback does these days, if that's considered a significant contribution to the offense then that's not news, not at all. Not worth out time to discuss.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I see this guy as more than a fullback he's a big running back
You (and others) might be right, not saying I know for sure he won't be, but just look at the rushing attempts last year, page after page of running back attempts, not a fullback to be seen.

But let's watch and see what happens....

blueblood70

Reaction score
You (and others) might be right, not saying I know for sure he won't be, but just look at the rushing attempts last year, page after page of running back attempts, not a fullback to be seen.

But let's watch and see what happens....
Well like I said he's not just a fullback he should be used more for his short yardage running back he's young and he did it in college.. It's kind of like classifying Mike alstott as a fullback did you see that dude run he was better than moose... So yes the traditional fullback positions not gonna be used like a fullback because that's kind of wasting a spot but if you keep the guy on the team then you need to use him as a running back that can block and do short yardage like a fullback I mean that's all a fullback it is is a short yardage back it doesn't have a lot of long speed but it can get you that chain moving run that you need and that is why zeke has become that so zeke is gonna be that guy this year is technically a fullback that can do more than fullback you know he can break it occasionally one for seven to 10 yards you never know I think this guy can do that yes he was miss utilized yes you won't see a lot of what you're looking at from last year because we all admit that what we saw was Mike McCarthy literally dropping the ball and forcing it to Tony Pollard...

It was insane and it drove me crazy watching a game and having them hammer Tony into the middle and trying to use him on 1st downs and it obviously was gonna be a run for them that is not what he's good at Mike McCarthy in this offensive staff from last year did not do a good job utilizing anyone I thought they dropped the ball on Turpin and deuce Vaughn could have even took some of Turpin special teams away and he could have gave Turpin more snaps at slot wide receiver but also all those behind the line runs with a lot of motion like you're using him like a fast running back they did not create a run game when they had the pieces to do it they tried to make it a traditional once you punch but they use the wrong player Pollard is not the one you'd wanna use in a 1-2 punch he should be two not one...

I'm not saying he even makes the team I'm saying there's a lot of good things coming out of camp about these guys and people are underestimating this running back group there are a lot of good things that you can find a good mix in the ones that you keep. I just blame the coaches I think we got new offensive line coach didn't we get a definitely a new assistant OC I thought most of the staff was replaced outside of McCarthy... But I forgot already because I guess it doesn't matter...

conner01

Reaction score
That's not a significant contribution to the offense. Blocking is what a fullback does these days, if that's considered a significant contribution to the offense then that's not news, not at all. Not worth out time to discuss.
If he can be a great blocker it sure won’t hurt. But I don’t see us using a FB all that often so his impact will be limited

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I didn’t mean to come across as crapping on Luepke. I think he could be a solid player in the offense. I just don’t believe that MM will figure him into the offense in a major role. Jerry says he would be a big part of the offense. RB will be an afterthought this season, not a weapon. Just to keep defenses from teeing on the QB.