Luepke is the answer to the redzone issues

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He needs to be given more opportunities. And not just inside the 5.
I think his TD will make MM think about using him more in those situations.
Little at a time confidence in the coaches. He could be a gem

Nav22

Reaction score
Literally nothing about Luepke's TD had anything to do with size/power. It was a big hole and he was untouched lol. It was a decent run to see the hole I guess but that's...the bare minimum. Every RB in the NFL should score on that.
I thought the same thing when I saw it live, but it was actually a really good cut and required some vision to time it out the way he did.

If it was Deuce, he very well may have gotten stuffed for no gain.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Worth giving Luepke some carries I guess but IMO it's more the play calling and the execution than which RB was getting the ball. On the one series in the 3rd Qtr we had 3rd and 1 (or maybe short 2?) from the 6 and threw the ball and got sacked. Just run it twice there. Stop trying to do all these surprise things. Just line up and run it and no delays or zone reads either. Just a power run and make someone stop you twice because it's unlikely they will. What the heck was he calling? It was a blowout and you are trying to solve red zone issues and there is no better way than to run it twice in a row on 3rd and 1 there. We just get too cute for our own good.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
The way Luepke hit the hole on his touchdown run, he would have run over most defenders. He had some power going across the goal line

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Worth giving Luepke some carries I guess but IMO it's more the play calling and the execution than which RB was getting the ball. On the one series in the 3rd Qtr we had 3rd and 1 (or maybe short 2?) from the 6 and threw the ball and got sacked. Just run it twice there. Stop trying to do all these surprise things. Just line up and run it and no delays or zone reads either. Just a power run and make someone stop you twice because it's unlikely they will. What the heck was he calling? It was a blowout and you are trying to solve red zone issues and there is no better way than to run it twice in a row on 3rd and 1 there. We just get too cute for our own good.
I didn't care for the two plays that New England got sacks on where we basically booted and left an end unblocked, depending on him buying the fake and going after the RB. The problem with it is for the QB to carry out the fake, get turned around and find a receiver, it takes time. I'd rather see us RPO there or go with a quick drop-back and pass if we're not going to run it. I know the hope is that the run fake will suck up the defense and make for an easy throw in a condensed area, but those sacks show the risk involved.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The way Luepke hit the hole on his touchdown run, he would have run over most defenders. He had some power going across the goal line
I think this will develop over time. We need to remember a) Luepke is a rookie so we're just learning what he can do and he's still adjusting to the NFL game and b) it's early in the season, so the team also is figuring out what works best.

Praxit

Reaction score
..lol.. .wouldnt know about that. But should get him involved down there.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Hunter Leupke will be a monster next season after a year in the weight room, and off season program. But I like what I am seeing already. Big running back with power, I love what he brings to the cowboys offense.