LVE option is now a no brainer decline

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
If they can afford to pay LVE $13 million next year, then let him walk and sign a difference maker in free agency next year for $13 million.

fivetwos

Reaction score
His option is not 13 mil
Correct. My bad.

The Pro Bowl qualifier is original ballot, not alternate...so it'll be 9 and change.

But....if they pick it up...it guarantees the 2021 season entirely and 2022 for injury.

That being the case, considering Jerry all but figures Quinn will have those two back to 2018 form....I would think a long term deal may be presented to him at some point....at hopefully a more palatable number, and the overall guarantee not much more than they would have paid him for 21 and 22 anyway.

I dont not like the player, but I've seen better players sign for less lately.

Overall, between the injury prone players, guys that can't play, and refusal to participate in UFA....its going to take years to rebuild this defense.

By then we will be debating another Dak extension.

Joy awaits.

dogberry

Reaction score
Who was our middle linebacker in 2020?

My sub amateur opinion was that none of our lbs looked good in 2020.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Who was our middle linebacker in 2020?

My sub amateur opinion was that none of our lbs looked good in 2020.
True but given the DT play and most guys trying to figure out where they are supposed to be while running, it almost wasn't fair.

Its arguable that the only one on the entire defense that fitnthe Nolan scheme well was Aldon Smith.

Yet I have people in other threads telling me the injuries on offense were the reason Dallas didn't contend for a championship in 2020.

ksg811

Reaction score
I want to correct some misinformation I've seen a few times.This is the first year of the 5th year option term per the new CBA, which fully guarantees the 5th year salary if picked up, not just for injury as had previously been the case. Since LVE did not meet any of the play time or Pro Bowl incentives, his 5th year option is for $9.145 million dollars, which would be fully guaranteed if picked up (as well as any 4th year base salary previously not guaranteed).

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They’re already drastically overpaying for one LB. Can’t make the same mistake here

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Both LVE and Jaclyn should not be on the team in 2022

Probably not, but that'll mean we've no LB's on the roster. We're already -$15m in CAP deficit for 2022 (based on $203m per team) so dont expect us to be active in free agency in 2022.

We are left with no real alternative other than to continue the extend and restructure strategy and hope the Jones fall upon a couple of 2016 drafts.

Flamma

Reaction score
For 13 million?

I'm not opposed to bringing him back long term, but at much less AAV.

This team is as frugal as can be with free agents but drunken sailors with their own. Thats the point.

Hold on. Can't they resign him without picking up his 5th year? This upcoming season will be his 4th. I tried to look it up to no avail. If the Cowboys extend him, is the 5th year a must?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Hold on. Can't they resign him without picking up his 5th year? This upcoming season will be his 4th. I tried to look it up to no avail. If the Cowboys extend him, is the 5th year a must?
He is already signed for 2021, but they need to decide if they want him for 2022 by May 3 of this year.

visionary

Reaction score
Probably not, but that'll mean we've no LB's on the roster. We're already -$15m in CAP deficit for 2022 (based on $203m per team) so dont expect us to be active in free agency in 2022.

We are left with no real alternative other than to continue the extend and restructure strategy and hope the Jones fall upon a couple of 2016 drafts.

i don’t agree at all
Not sure where these myths come from
Teams pick starters at LB in rds 2-5 every single year
We have the picks to find 2 LBs this year who can start next year. We can another 1-2 next year and sign one in FA who will be healthy and much cheaper than both

Flamma

Reaction score
He is already signed for 2021, but they need to decide if they want him for 2022 by May 3 of this year.

This is what I'm saying. We established May 3rd is the 5th year option deadline. July 15th I believe is the deadline for a long term deal. Can they just let May 3rd pass and then sign him to a long term deal like any other player not a first round pick? Or is the 5th year option a must?

Flamma

Reaction score
I think the new 5th year option rules are doing the players a disservice. It's having the opposite of the intended effect. LVE is probably not going to be paid 13 million next year by any team.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i think they will.
we've got 4 currently on the roster.
i think they should double dip at this spot in the draft.
we've seen him at his best.
if medical is good...i'd pick it up.

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is what I'm saying. We established May 3rd is the 5th year option deadline. July 15th I believe is the deadline for a long term deal. Can they just let May 3rd pass and then sign him to a long term deal like any other player not a first round pick? Or is the 5th year option a must?
Nah that's the deadline for someone who was tagged.

This rule only applies to the 5th year of first round picks.

If the team does nothing, he is free after 2021.

The option btw is for 9m and change, not 13m. I had that wrong.

His Pro Bowl selection was as a replacement.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
58947346-0d55-407e-b227-7e12822f4380_text.gif

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If his medical is good I would sign him.

We need defenders and this is the one guy who has looked incredible at times but I do worry about his health.

He’s worth his market value though.
Lol.....of course you would.

as usual we should do the opposite. Too funny. :muttley::lmao2:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Given what some very good players are signing for the last couple of days....

There's NO way they can pay him 13 million for 2022.

I realize he fits the mold of those Jerry likes to double down on dumb with, but this team has got to start making better and more realistic decisions with their own draft picks and second contracts or none of the futility will ever change.
13m......yah dump him. Is the money guaranteed?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nah that's the deadline for someone who was tagged.

This rule only applies to the 5th year of first round picks.

If the team does nothing, he is free after 2021.

The option btw is for 9m and change, not 13m. I had that wrong.

His Pro Bowl selection was as a replacement.

is the money guaranteed. Can we cut him without paying a dime?