LVE option is now a no brainer decline

Flamma

Reaction score
Nah that's the deadline for someone who was tagged.

This rule only applies to the 5th year of first round picks.

If the team does nothing, he is free after 2021.

The option btw is for 9m and change, not 13m. I had that wrong.

His Pro Bowl selection was as a replacement.

Then I have no idea. 9 isn't terrible if his extension isn't high. They could always move on from Jaylon if he craps the bed in 2021.

blueblood70

Reaction score
5th year option ;last look., yes, LTD NO not early..

so you are implying a 5th year option is 13mil..i might have to pass..let him seek other offers offer him 13 over 2 years he owes us ..

ksg811

Reaction score
This is what I'm saying. We established May 3rd is the 5th year option deadline. July 15th I believe is the deadline for a long term deal. Can they just let May 3rd pass and then sign him to a long term deal like any other player not a first round pick? Or is the 5th year option a must?

Yes, they can agree to an extension without exercising the option. They’d either sign the deal prior to May 3rd with language declining the option or just let the deadline pass and extend him then.

conner01

Reaction score
Correct. My bad.

The Pro Bowl qualifier is original ballot, not alternate...so it'll be 9 and change.

But....if they pick it up...it guarantees the 2021 season entirely and 2022 for injury.

That being the case, considering Jerry all but figures Quinn will have those two back to 2018 form....I would think a long term deal may be presented to him at some point....at hopefully a more palatable number, and the overall guarantee not much more than they would have paid him for 21 and 22 anyway.

I dont not like the player, but I've seen better players sign for less lately.

Overall, between the injury prone players, guys that can't play, and refusal to participate in UFA....its going to take years to rebuild this defense.

By then we will be debating another Dak extension.

Joy awaits.
If he’s injured in 2021 it doesn’t matter about the 2021 salary either way, he still gets paid
Just over 6 mil a year is what it costs you to have him 2 years
They have a good idea of the injury risks I suspect though there can always be any kind of injury
I don’t want to go into the draft having to use a high pick on a LB
We need to add a LB either way but if he has to be a day one starter you almost have to use a top 2-3 round pick and waiting till the 3rd is risky
I would see what Quinn can do with what we have and if jaylon doesn’t improve then I’d be more likely to move on from him after next year
Then you have this draft and two more to rebuild the LB spot
Hopefully you get a shot at a good prospect this year
I think there are good second round options in this draft. It’s just if one falls to us

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Still want to know how he got through college and then the combine without anyone knowing his neck was an issue. I still think that was kept on the downlow somehow.

Praxit

Reaction score
..weird thing with LVE, it was noted he had neck problems in college. Why would one think they would go away moving up to NFL. Bigger, stronger, faster players.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is their issue. They are so desperate to sign their own because it validates them drafting this player.Letting them walk admits they made a mistake. Can't have that....Their ego is too big.
He let Emmitt walk. Dez. Murray. Hatcher. Austin. Ware. just for starters

Not sure how many of that short list were drafts. But Jerry does let players walk, mkay?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Unless somehow someone gets him in his 2018 form which I still have no idea how we got a year out of him like that.

I think the leg regressed in 2019. Lots of the horror in his plays comes from adaptation and compensation for the limitations in the leg.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dallas will pick up his 5th year option simply because they can't admit yet again a 1st round draft pick mistake much like they had to with Taco Charlton (drafted in 2017) and a 2nd round (their first pick) mistake like Trysten Hill (drafted in 2019).

They whiffed with their first defensive picks from 2016-2019, and with Jaylon just a couple of spots out of the first, that's basically 3 first round picks plus Hill. Brutal. The draft failure in early rounds is why we have an empty D.
Somehow McClay has skated on this.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
..weird thing with LVE, it was noted he had neck problems in college. Why would one think they would go away moving up to NFL. Bigger, stronger, faster players.

Because somehow he went to the combine, told reporters he never had problems with his neck, most results came back that it was fine and then the media spun it as if he was healthy as can be.

Like I said, someone somewhere made his neck problems put on the downlow. There is no possible way he got out of that while being examined and no one knew about it.

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
Maybe he was on performance enhancers.

He looks like a Super Hero in person. Most people that look like that didn't do it naturally. Even if they are genetic freaks.

And if anyone needed them it would've been him for that injury.

He gets paid...

Then goes back to being bad.

Kind of makes sense but its obviously pure speculation.
To 'Catch17' no problem with your comment. Many of us have been following pro sports a long time. Allegations have been made of performance enhancing about athletes in baseball, cycling, track & field, etc. You finished your post that it's speculation. Far worse has been done by the sports media before providing proof.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
i don’t agree at all
Not sure where these myths come from
Teams pick starters at LB in rds 2-5 every single year
We have the picks to find 2 LBs this year who can start next year. We can another 1-2 next year and sign one in FA who will be healthy and much cheaper than both

You're living in a fantasy world, but have to admire your faith.

GMO415

Reaction score
Given what some very good players are signing for the last couple of days....

There's NO way they can pay him 13 million for 2022.

I realize he fits the mold of those Jerry likes to double down on dumb with, but this team has got to start making better and more realistic decisions with their own draft picks and second contracts or none of the futility will ever change.
Wait for it.....and he'll be sitting next to Lee on the training table. Championship.