LVE out for the season (confirmed)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
His career is probably over this year too.
Sad.
Showed so much promise as a rookie. Seemed on his way to being a perennial pro bowler, and with so little experience coming in it seemed that the sky was the limit.
But the neck issue was known before the draft too.
Young guys often flash and flame out, usually when their body doesn't hold up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Despite liking or not liking him, LVE had put out some really atrocious tape in the past few seasons.

Whether it was the neck or other ailments he was not a consistent football player, and his style of play at times did not match the requirements of the position.

LB is one of the most violent positions on the field, and there is a reason why LBs on NFL teams lead their rosters with tackles. The prototypical LB in the league is a person who has a complete disregard for his health and the opposing player's health.

From 2016 to 2021 LBs had the most career ending neck injuries slightly beating out DBs. Between safeties and LBs they outnumber all other positions with the highest number of violent collisions.

Not a position for LVE, and in hindsight a bad roll of the dice by the Cowboys.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10474715/
LVE had arguably his best season in 2022 since his rookie year. I thought he was playing pretty well this season. I just don’t get some of the hate that he receives. It could be because his rookie season raised the expectations fans had for him, and he never lived up to it. Even Parsons is receiving some hate from fans on this board. If a player doesn’t show up every single week with eye popping plays a lot of fans get down on them. We could have used LVE down the stretch stretch.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Wolf Hunter being out for the season is bad enough but hearing his career could be over is really sad news. He's only 27 years old and his wife is expecting. He has so much life still to live so, best wishes to him and I hope he is able to recover and remain a Cowboys. If this is the end of his career then he'll be able to draw an NFL pension when he turns 55 years old.

quickccc

Reaction score
We really said “no” to Bobby Wagner

Bad decision to this too, (Wagner) .. but what's done is done - bridge over the water, and we have to move on.
Time to invest more in Overshown (ACL), Clark and Bell, ..plus whatever likely to come in the NFL draft.

- Dunno about the future of Rashad Evans here Could be just a one year rental insurance
and he'll likely want more money elsewhere.

- Every single year, there's always a concern with how many games with LVE to miss.
Now it's about his own quality of life and not seeing him carried off on the field on a cart or ambulance,
or paralyze for the rest of his life.

Carson

Reaction score
The Wolf Hunter being out for the season is bad enough but hearing his career could be over is really sad news. He's only 27 years old and his wife is expecting. He has so much life still to live so, best wishes to him and I hope he is able to recover and remain a Cowboys. If this is the end of his career then he'll be able to draw an NFL pension when he turns 55 years old.
He’s has a bright future. Still 27 get out while you can, enjoy your millions, enjoy your family and get into coaching.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No argument from me. I think he’s done as an NFL player as well but WTH do I know. The other yahoo stated it as fact.
I seriously think that he has to consider just retiring at this point. His neck is really a point of being fragile. I respect the guy, but don't want to hear that he is completely incapacitated the rest of his family's life...

Here is his real value now:

Despite being done for the season, Vander Esch will continue to contribute off the field in any capacity as he has been on the sideline for each game since his injury and has been able to speak wisdom into everyone on the defense, specifically linebackers Damone Clark and Markquese Bell...

"It's hard to lose a brother like Leighton," defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence said. "He's someone that we rely on each and every day, especially as a MIKE backer. Definitely gotta show our gratitude for him and what he did for us last year. We're still with him and he's still with us in spirit. We're praying for him to continue to get better." The support that has been poured into Vander Esch by his teammates directly reflects the support that he has put into various members of the defense since his arrival as the team rallies around him.

"I'm gonna support him, because that was a guy that was with me every step of the way when I was rehabbing coming off my neck injury," Clark said. "He said, 'Don't worry about me. I'm gonna be straight.' That just speaks to the type of warrior he is. He's going to help us." "I talk to Leighton all the time. I look up to Leighton. That's someone that does everything the right way. To me, that's way more important than the football player. Even if I never play another down with Leighton, that's my brother."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-react-to-leighton-vander-esch-being-out-for-season

CCBoy

Reaction score
FRISCO, TX — The news of Leighton Vander Esch being lost for the season with a neck injury suffered in Week 5 hits hard for the Dallas Cowboys, a team that entered the 2023 season with question marks surrounding the depth at the position behind Vander Esch and Damone Clark; but **Rashaan Evans intends to answer the call going forward**.

"We're gonna ball for our brother," said Evans ahead of the first practice in preparation for the Carolina Panthers. "Whenever you have a situation where you've played the game as long as I have, an injury like that hits home for me, especially when you know the kind of player he is and, also, being a competitor, you wanna be out there."

Markquese Bell has stepped into the role of linebacker following the loss of rookie fourth-round pick DeMarvion Overshown, and has played exceptional football, but Evans was added in the wake of Vander Esch being moved to injured reserve.

Evans, signed to the practice squad, has now been elevated a maximum of three times and his third was the most productive — playing 49 percent of the defensive snaps and making his presence felt early against Saquon Barkley.

In order for him to play against this regular season, he'll have to be signed to the active 53-man roster; and that means a decision has to soon be made by the Cowboys.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/evans-laments-loss-of-lve-ready-to-make-impact

CCBoy

Reaction score
A former first-round pick himself, similar to Vander Esch, Evans knows what it feels like to perform under pressure and, hailing from Nick Saban's program, additionally understands what's required to succeed on the biggest football stages.

His number will likely be called again soon by defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, and there will be no shortage of expectations he'll be asked to meet, but it's also nothing he's shying away from.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/evans-laments-loss-of-lve-ready-to-make-impact

lostar2009

Reaction score
LB now moves up in draft priorities.

If they took the time to develop Parsons as a LB. If Bell could so it, so could Parsons. Probably could've pick up a quality starting LB before the trade deadline too.