News: LVE update, Prognosis is good

Sydla

Reaction score
Smith was always a question as far as intelligence and play is concerned. I think LVEs neck issues could have probably more of a factor for him. He probably has significant range of motion issues in his neck on the field, which most likely affected his ability to scan the field and react quickly.

I immediately discount an opinion that starts with Smith having an intelligence problem. Criticize his play (it sucked this season), question his motivation, question his injury affecting his play............ but this concept that Smith is kinda dumb has always had me chuckling.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it was goofy, why did you respond? Dallas and LVE opted for a MINOR procedure. Even if it was successful, it simply means the surgery was successful. It doesn’t DRAMATICALLY improve anything.

That has little bearing on his ability to play again. There are really no cases where players came back from issue like this. Chad Hennings for example is one such person. They may have gotten a roster spot but they retired after a year.
lol - I obviously responded to tell you it was goofy. Somebody had to.

With this post you added more goofiness. Now you are saying a successful surgery doesn't "dramatically" improve anything, whereas before you said it meant nothing at all. So now you are conceding it at least means something.

But aside from that, how in the world can you say LVE going from not being able to play at all to likely being able to play again at a high level isn't a dramatic improvement. Is LVE playing not a dramatic improvement over LVE being retired and watching the games on his couch?

khiladi

Reaction score
I immediately discount an opinion that starts with Smith having an intelligence problem. Criticize his play (it sucked this season), question his motivation, question his injury affecting his play............ but this concept that Smith is kinda dumb has always had me chuckling.

Well, celebrating after the defense gives up 10 yards is doing nothing to help the ‘football smart’ label..

khiladi

Reaction score
lol - I obviously responded to tell you it was goofy. Somebody had to.

With this post you added more goofiness. Now you are saying a successful surgery doesn't "dramatically" improve anything, whereas before you said it meant nothing at all. So now you are conceding it at least means something.

But aside from that, how in the world can you say LVE going from not being able to play at all to likely being able to play again at a high level isn't a dramatic improvement. Is LVE playing not a dramatic improvement over LVE being retired and watching the games on his couch?

No, what I said was the surgery being successful means nothing as far as being able to play. It simply means the surgery was successful.

It was YOU that said it DRAMATICALLY improved it. That is patently WRONG and has no cases to back it up. The surgeries were “successful” defined by what the objective was but nowhere did it improve their chances to play. And in fact, there is plenty of medical literature the outcomes of such surgeries are questionable at best and marginal for even regular people, let alone football. And those outcomes are generally defined in terms of things like pain. And LVE has stenosis to top it all off.

Take another L.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm glad to see the prognosis for a full recovery is good. That's great news. But it does not mean he will ever be "football ready" again.

Recovery from fusion takes 4 months minimum. And you just don't know how the body is going to react when you are nearing the end. I had disc replacement instead of fusion. I was lucky and my health and condition did qualify me for the newer procedure. But my left thumb and index finger are still only about 60% feeling. At least the pain is in my neck and shoulders is finally gone. And that was excruciating.

If LVE ever plays football again, he is going to need a special neck and back harness built into his uniform to help prevent re-injury and help provide stability. And his head mobility side to side and up and down will definitely be compromised by the fusion surgery. How much is unknown right now.

And, of course. If his neck is re-injured, at best he's looking at more surgery. At worst, paralysis or permanent pain management for life or both.

I don't know man. We'll see.

Good luck, LVE.
Did he have a cervical fusion? I had one C 6-7 and no way I could ever risk the kind of impact a LB in the NFL hands out and receives.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, what I said was the surgery being successful means nothing as far as being able to play. It simply means the surgery was successful.

It was YOU that said it DRAMATICALLY improved it. That is patently WRONG and has no cases to back it up.

Take another L.
Again, this is goofy. He couldn't play before, now with the successful surgery it seems likely he can play, so obviously it means a great deal as far as being able to play.

And, it was you that introduced the comment about "dramatic" improvement, and I just responded to that. Nevertheless, explain to me how going from not being able to play at all to being able to play isn't dramatic improvement?

khiladi

Reaction score
Again, this is goofy. He couldn't play before, now with the successful surgery it seems likely he can play, so obviously it means a great deal as far as being able to play.

And, it was you that introduced the comment about "dramatic" improvement, and I just responded to that. Nevertheless, explain to me how going from not being able to play at all to being able to play isn't dramatic improvement?

No, stated the following:

received
Surgery being a success means nothing as far as being able to play football is concerned...

Show me anywhere I used the term dramatically. It was YOU who then said it would dramatically increase outcomes.

Every time I own you and then you try and change the argument. Stephen Jones simply said the procedure went well and he expects him to play. That means nothing until he actually hits the field and LIKE I EXPLAINED before, the HISTORICAL TRACK RECORD proves this isn’t the case. If I provided guys like Chad Hennings as an example that would mean I explained why I said what I said. Michael Irvin was another and there are countless other cases. Players ended up back on the roster, never saw the field again and retired a year or so later. And LVE has stenosis and this problem goes back throughout his career, but now he’s at the point of trying to use surgery to deal with it.

Measuring Surgical OUTCOMES has nothing to do with ability or non-ability to play.

Like I said, take the L.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
This is great news if its 100% the truth. Dont always trust what this front office says.

Yeah. This is obviously a fluff piece. He's had neck issues since college, and is playing a position that commands a lot of impact.

Also, read the words carefully:

"I feel good about it, really good about him making a full recovery and being ready to participate in everything," Jones said.

HE feels good about it. It has no basis in reality.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, stated the following:

Show me anywhere I used the term dramatically. It was YOU who then said it would dramatically increase outcomes.

Every time I own you and then you try and change the argument. Stephen Jones simply said the procedure went well and he expects him to play. That means nothing until he actually hits the field and LIKE I EXPLAINED before, the HISTORICAL TRACK RECORD proves this isn’t the case. If I provided guys like Chad Hennings as an example that would mean I explained why I said what I said. Michael Irvin was another and there are countless other cases. Players ended up back on the roster, never saw the field again and retired a year or so later. And LVE has stenosis and this problem goes back throughout his career, but now he’s at the point of trying to use surgery to deal with it.

Measuring Surgical OUTCOMES has nothing to do with ability or non-ability to play.

Like I said, take the L.
lol - look at post #35 in this thread where you said "Even if it was successful, it simply means the surgery was successful. It doesn’t DRAMATICALLY improve anything".

But hey, you wrote that a whole 32 minute ago. How could I expect you to recall something so distant in the past? lol

You like to say things with no evidence or logic - as if you just saying something makes it so. and then you claim you "own" me - again, as if you just saying it without any supporting content just make is so.

I'll show you how logic works

FACT: Before surgery LVE was not physically able to play
FACT: After successful surgery LVE is physically able to play
CONCLUSION: The successful surgery had a hell of a lot to do with his ability to play the game.

Why don't you try it now?

willia451

Reaction score
Did he have a cervical fusion? I had one C 6-7 and no way I could ever risk the kind of impact a LB in the NFL hands out and receives.

Unknown. All I've heard is that it was fusion surgery due to nerve damage from the injury. And that the Cowboys will have to fit LVE with special equipment built into his uniform to prevent his head from being forced backwards or forwards if he does wind up playing again.

The FO is going to put the best face on all this they can. But so far have released no real details about the procedure itself that I've seen. Just saying the surgery went well and they expect him to be able to participate in the off season program starting April 6rh.

We shall see. Hope for the best.

erod

Reaction score
Will Vander Esch ever see a second contract?

That's the real question here.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well, celebrating after the defense gives up 10 yards is doing nothing to help the ‘football smart’ label..

So because Smith celebrates at a wrong time that means he lacks intelligence?

Oy.

Proof

Reaction score
I agree. It's always a good prognosis until he starts hitting again. Despite the rosy comments to the public, there are some private concerns about the long-term prognosis.

or take the good news and worry if/when something happens. :thumbup:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
or take the good news and worry if/when something happens. :thumbup:

It already has happened - twice. My fandom does not require me to stick my head in the sand and ignore that.

Proof

Reaction score
It already has happened - twice. My fandom does not require me to stick my head in the sand and ignore that.

nope. Since THIS good news. No one said you were required to do anything, optimism is a good thing. May not jive with your snarky persona though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯