Lynn Bowden Jr. WR Kentucky

Cowboyny

Reaction score
One of the team's biggest needs heading into the draft is finding a slot receiver to replace Randall Cobb. Can a player from his former school be the perfect fit?

PROS: Versatile. Can run it, catch it and throw it making him an ideal gadget guy. He’s a dog on the field and he plays with an edge. Can use him in a variety of ways, including wildcat and zone read. Physical with the ball in his hands and he brings the fight. Has good field vision and awareness. Blends his power with a fair amount of elusiveness. Should be able to uncover quickly and contribute as a slot receiver. Has return experience. Has some impressive flashes of ball skills, adjustments and the ability to hold on through contact.

CONS: Jack of all trades, master of none. Won’t find much in the way of nuance or polished technique. How explosive is he for this gadgety role that he projects to? Unlikely to be a true home run threat as a space player or dynamic separator.

A 4th rounder who can man the slot, become our primary punt returner sounds good to me! Oh by the way, his player comparison is Randall Cobb. They were very similar players coming from the same program.

Reaction score
One of the team's biggest needs heading into the draft is finding a slot receiver to replace Randall Cobb. Can a player from his former school be the perfect fit?

PROS: Versatile. Can run it, catch it and throw it making him an ideal gadget guy. He’s a dog on the field and he plays with an edge. Can use him in a variety of ways, including wildcat and zone read. Physical with the ball in his hands and he brings the fight. Has good field vision and awareness. Blends his power with a fair amount of elusiveness. Should be able to uncover quickly and contribute as a slot receiver. Has return experience. Has some impressive flashes of ball skills, adjustments and the ability to hold on through contact.

CONS: Jack of all trades, master of none. Won’t find much in the way of nuance or polished technique. How explosive is he for this gadgety role that he projects to? Unlikely to be a true home run threat as a space player or dynamic separator.

A 4th rounder who can man the slot, become our primary punt returner sounds good to me! Oh by the way, his player comparison is Randall Cobb. They were very similar players coming from the same program.
Bowdon Jr is a Swiss army knife

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
As a UK fan, I’ve watched Bowden closely throughout his career. He’s fearless, athletic, and a leader among leaders. He can do pretty much anything as far as a skilled player, but does need some polish. Draft him and you’ll get a player that will NOT quit in any situation. He’d die on the field first.

DanA

Reaction score
He might take a year or two but I think he’s gonna be a very good player. I’d like to see what his forty time is, I wanna know if he’s quick enough to run jet sweeps.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
He might take a year or two but I think he’s gonna be a very good player. I’d like to see what his forty time is, I wanna know if he’s quick enough to run jet sweeps.
Just go on YouTube and watch his highlights. He single handedly won several games last year. Check out the bowl win against Virginia Tech.

morasp

Reaction score
Who better to replace Cobb, his comp is listed as Randall Cobb. When I saw the creative play-callers comment I thought of Kellen Moore.

Overview
In a rare twist, Bowden is both versatile and a little bit limited. He might require a plan to maximize his value. While he's a slot receiver by position, creative play-callers can use him as a zone-read quarterback and as a gadget receiver for jet sweeps and a variety of short catch-and-run screens. He's not overly sudden or explosive and some teams may want him to prove he can be more than a glorified running back. He's instinctive, highly competitive and makes big plays. His development as a receiver was slowed due to his move to quarterback in 2019, but his return talent and versatility gives him a chance to contribute immediately as he waits to become a starting slot.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Who better to replace Cobb, his comp is listed as Randall Cobb. When I saw the creative play-callers comment I thought of Kellen Moore.

Overview
In a rare twist, Bowden is both versatile and a little bit limited. He might require a plan to maximize his value. While he's a slot receiver by position, creative play-callers can use him as a zone-read quarterback and as a gadget receiver for jet sweeps and a variety of short catch-and-run screens. He's not overly sudden or explosive and some teams may want him to prove he can be more than a glorified running back. He's instinctive, highly competitive and makes big plays. His development as a receiver was slowed due to his move to quarterback in 2019, but his return talent and versatility gives him a chance to contribute immediately as he waits to become a starting slot.

He certainly can be used in that Austin/Whitehead type of gadget role, while handling the primary punt/kickoff duties. Having him just for that might be underselling him. Yes, he is a raw receiver but has the skill set to thrive with a little development. He is one of those players, you find ways to get him the ball in space.

morasp

Reaction score
He certainly can be used in that Austin/Whitehead type of gadget role, while handling the primary punt/kickoff duties. Having him just for that might be underselling him. Yes, he is a raw receiver but has the skill set to thrive with a little development. He is one of those players, you find ways to get him the ball in space.
Good points.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think McCarthy and Moore (yuck) should be able to scheme him and utilize him right away similar to how Shanahan uses Deebo Samuel in San Francisco. Get him the ball on bubbles, tunnel/jailbreak screens, jet sweeps, crossing routes, etc. and let him run.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think McCarthy and Moore (yuck) should be able to scheme him and utilize him right away similar to how Shanahan uses Deebo Samuel in San Francisco. Get him the ball on bubbles, tunnel/jailbreak screens, jet sweeps, crossing routes, etc. and let him run.
Isn't that the way MM used Cobb early on? If I remember correctly, Cobb was even used as a running back.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Yeah, 100% right. He is a very good receiver but due to team needs last year, he was forced to play a different role (where he was amazing). He just knows how to play the game and even better, he loves playing the game.

RS12

Reaction score
As a UK fan, I’ve watched Bowden closely throughout his career. He’s fearless, athletic, and a leader among leaders. He can do pretty much anything as far as a skilled player, but does need some polish. Draft him and you’ll get a player that will NOT quit in any situation. He’d die on the field first.
We haven't had win or die trying players in decades ala Emmitt and Michael. Love those types that just hate losing.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Only saw this guy in a bowl game. He cant throw a football to save his life....like, some of the worst throwa ive ever seen. but the guy doesnt go down. He will get you yards every time, even if the defense knows hes getting it. I remember on the last drive he was out of breath and the coaches ran the rb. He was so angry after the play. He wanted the ball. Next play, first down. If the dude can catch and run routes im in.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Only saw this guy in a bowl game. He cant throw a football to save his life....like, some of the worst throwa ive ever seen. but the guy doesnt go down. He will get you yards every time, even if the defense knows hes getting it. I remember on the last drive he was out of breath and the coaches ran the rb. He was so angry after the play. He wanted the ball. Next play, first down. If the dude can catch and run routes im in.
You obviously don’t know anything about Bowden. He’s a WR that was forced into the QB role when UK’s 3 QBs went down to injury. He’s not going to be a QB. LOL. All of your other statements are spot on though. He lead UK to a winning season and a bowl win with essentially no passing attack, which is almost impossible to do in this era of football. Just as a note, he did win the bowl game with a TD pass.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
You obviously don’t know anything about Bowden. He’s a WR that was forced into the QB role when UK’s 3 QBs went down to injury. He’s not going to be a QB. LOL. All of your other statements are spot on though. He lead UK to a winning season and a bowl win with essentially no passing attack, which is almost impossible to do in this era of football. Just as a note, he did win the bowl game with a TD pass.

The original post said he can do it all. I addressed the fact he really cant throw. That's why i brought it up.
He chucked up a interception earlier in that game that looked like a punt.
Also, if i recall, he shouldve threw an interception right before that game winning td.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
The original post said he can do it all. I addressed the fact he really cant throw. That's why i brought it up.
He chucked up a interception earlier in that game that looked like a punt.
Also, if i recall, he shouldve threw an interception right before that game winning td.
He isn’t a QB. I’m not sure how I can make the statement any more plain. He can, however, throw the ball far better than most receivers, not that it really matters.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
He isn’t a QB. I’m not sure how I can make the statement any more plain. He can, however, throw the ball far better than most receivers, not that it really matters.
Nobody is saying hes a qb
Lmao. No duh.

I wouldnt let him throw on a trick play. Laughable arm.