Mac Engel: Dez's Career is Over

_sturt_

Reaction score
From today's column:

"At this point, any rational thinker must consider that Dez’s career is over."

Not "...that Dez's DALLAS career is over."

Mr. Engel, do you claim to speak for the rational thinkers? Because I dare say it's not even close to being over, given that there are flirtations that we know have occurred (Ravens, Browns), but they just didn't come to terms on a deal.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Its week 3, he has been available for 6 months.. It might be over. People are trading picks away for potheads like Gordon, when Dez is just sitting there... I am surprised by all of this but it is certainly a possibility that he is done.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Don't be surprised to see him sign with the Browns within next couple weeks. Read a tweet couple weeks ago where Brown's GM Dorsey admitted he had NOT closed the door on signing Dez. Said first try was a matter of couple issues but no hard feelings at all. Said he would not hesitate to pick up the phone and call Dez again. With the release of Gordon, it could happen.

C42

Reaction score
I think he will get another opportunity. Might be his last one though. He’s definitely past his prime.

Proximo

Reaction score
It’s definitely possible that he’s finished.

It’s also possible that even if he does sign somewhere, he ends up being a non-factor.

I think it’s unlikely that he signs somewhere and thrives.

And believe me, I am no Dez hater. My post history does not lie. Always gave him the benefit of the doubt and supported him.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez is done. Its pretty clear that 32 teams have made the decision that he's not worth the headache. Whose bringing him in mid season? He had a chance or two this offseason , but was too arrogant to see the opportunity. He still has no sense of reality.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I think TO may be better than Dez right now.

TO is a very good comparison to Dez right now. I have been comparing Dez to TO for several months now. I do think Dez will get one more shot with a WR desperate team. But make no mistake, Dez is not a #1 WR and will most likely play decoy wherever he ends up. He will make plays here and there but will never be a featured WR. There are reasons GM's are not calling Dez' agent, and the #1 reason is not because Dez is being picky...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
From today's column:

"At this point, any rational thinker must consider that Dez’s career is over."

Not "...that Dez's DALLAS career is over."

Mr. Engel, do you claim to speak for the rational thinkers? Because I dare say it's not even close to being over, given that there are flirtations that we know have occurred (Ravens, Browns), but they just didn't come to terms on a deal.
Then why hasn't he been signed?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Even at his slobbish production of 700 yards, 4-6 tds a year, if he played until he was 35 here he would've been a HOFer based on name value and the Cowboys brand.

What a fall from grace.

_sturt_

Reaction score
There are 15 weeks left in the season, right?

Assuming he doesn't get the money he wants, Dez is going to do the Roger Clemens thing: Wait until later in the season, sign up with a team on the cusp of the playoffs.

Absolutely stupid silly to pretend his career is over at his age.

Xelda

Reaction score
I don't know him personally but when he got Tweet happy, I got a glimpse of how he feels about the Cowboys and Jerry Jones. I don't believe he's half the player he used to be, but he's still a viable talent. I hope he gets the right people around him that will look out for his best interests as soon as possible.

erod

Reaction score
It might be because Dez may not accept that he's close to just a veteran minumum type of receiver now.