Mach 3...Sharp as a Razor

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Hostile;3888677 said:
At this point I do not have a clue. I can tell you that I think Tyron Smith has the best odds because I believe if we do not move up to get Peterson we will take him.

Jerry and co. must have a contingency plan if we trade up to get Peterson. I find it hard to believe we would go into the season with Colombo and Sam Young at RT.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Hostile;3888677 said:
At this point I do not have a clue. I can tell you that I think Tyron Smith has the best odds because I believe if we do not move up to get Peterson we will take him.

If we do take Peterson, then it will probably either be Columbo or a free agent.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
sadevil;3888682 said:
If we do take Peterson, then it will probably either be Columbo or a free agent.
If we take Peterson I think there are 4 options in this order.

1. Colombo
2. Young
3. Draft pick in the 2nd or 3rd round
4. Free Agent

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Hostile;3888684 said:
If we take Peterson I think there are 4 options in this order.

1. Colombo
2. Young
3. Draft pick in the 2nd or 3rd round
4. Free Agent

If we don't draft OT in the first, then we'll most likely pick up a RT only type prospect in the 3rd round or lower. I don't think that pick will beat out Young, who could very well be in the mix as a wildcard. I just don't think the Cowboys want to rely on him as the only option going into the season, so I believe they'll have a veteran on the roster (either Columbo or a free agent).

ghst187

Reaction score
Hostile;3888455 said:
I realize I just did this last night, but now we have updated numbers and comp picks.

I am still trading up to #6 and giving up #71 to get there.

6. Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU, 6'0", 219.
When you have a chance at an elite athlete, jump all over it. People can argue over where to play him. I just get him on the field no matter what. I think Newman is likely gone. His cap number and his age have conspired to move him if he does not redo his deal. If he will redo it, I'd love to keep him, but I move him to FS.

I think Jerry will recoup his 3rd round pick by trading down in the 2nd and adding a 3rd. The logical team is the Saints. So we get their pick #56 and #72.

56. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State, 6'5", 295.
He's slipping because he hasn't worked out, but he could be a starter form day 1 in the right 3-4 scheme and ours is perfect to his skills.

72. Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU, 6'5", 325. This is a guy who is technically sound and really just needs to be a little more physical to be great. He'll get a chance to do that.

110. John Moffit, OG, Wisconsin, 6'4", 320.
I have my doubts we will change the OL in 2011, but even if we don't let's get the future ready. Here it is. With Barksdale above perhaps our starting right side for many years.

143. Henry Hynoski, FB, Pittsburgh, 6'2", 255. Instantly makes our short yardage game better and our running game as a whole if we work in the I. On top of this he is a very good receiver out of the backfield.

176. Andrew Jackson, OG, Fresno State, 6'5", 300. Kosier is not going to last forever and this kid has a lot of potential. He could really be a steal.

220. Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia, 5'8", 179. Marion Barber is gone. We need a 3rd RB who can be a dedicated return man and an occasional weapon. Here he is.

251. Blaine Sumner, NT, Colorado School of Mines, 6'2", 335. A low risk pick on a workout warrior. 52 reps of 225 on the bench and a 33 inch vertical leap. Worth the late round looksee.

I appreciate your comments. Personally, I really like this mock.

LOVE it!! just add me in a powerback like helu or clay

fortdick

Reaction score
If Columbo returns to form, this will work, although I would like to see Wisniewski in the mix. He offers flexibility.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
With as many 3-4 teams as there are, I can't imagine Heyward lasts that long. He's too good of a player with perfect 3-4 size.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;3888671 said:
think Secondary on this team is a far bigger need than OL. JMO.

Wow, really? I couldn't disagree more in that respect.

I do like the mock but I don't think there's a bigger need on this team than fixing the offensive and defensive trench guys. I think everything can flow from there but the oline has been our downfall for maybe 5 straight seasons.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;3888767 said:
Wow, really? I couldn't disagree more in that respect.

I do like the mock but I don't think there's a bigger need on this team than fixing the offensive and defensive trench guys. I think everything can flow from there but the oline has been our downfall for maybe 5 straight seasons.
Yes seriously. There are 5 men on the OL. There are 4 in the Defensive Backfield. Let's dissect right now who they are.

Terence Newman, will be 33 years old and has a $10.1 million cap count on a team that will probably be over the cap when a CBA is signed. In other words, highly probable he gets cut.

Gerald Sensabaugh, is an Unrestricted Free Agent, free to sign with any team.

Alan Ball, does anyone want him back?

Mike Jenkins, flashes greatness and chicken with equal ease.

So we potentially could have 3 new starters back there in 2011. Yes, seriously, this highly concerns me.

In comparison the OL we have was part of an offense that without the starting QB and multiple WR injuries still came within 1 TD of 400 points on the season.

I can live with the OL as is for 1 year if we have to. I don't want to, but I can. I think the DBs are a mess and that, above all other reasons, is why I did not want Campo and Maxie back.

Not to mention the fact we gave up 436 points last year and couldn't stop a pass to save our lives.

loblolly7

Reaction score
Pretty much agree, but I believe, we will trade down and either try to pick of Tyron Smith, or JJ Watt. The more I study Watt, the more I like, and in particular, the way he hustles, he seems to play with passion which is one of the buzz words for Dallas now these days.

My prediction at the press conference with Jason, he will state, no matter who we pick, that this player plays with "passion for the game".

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Hostile;3888671 said:
CBs don't block for QBs, so I'm not sure why'd you'd have to not be sure.

Where did you buy your crystal ball that predicts the future so precisely? I didn't mention Barksdale could end up as a starter in my description? Pretty sure I did. It was in the Moffitt pick.

I get it that you have an agenda for Tyron Smith, but mine is for Peterson. I think Secondary on this team is a far bigger need than OL. JMO.

my only agenda is protecting the franchise- aka #9.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Teague31;3888781 said:
my only agenda is protecting the franchise- aka #9.
Mine is to win games. The defense gave up 436 points last year. The most we ever have. Fixing that priority #1.

Biggest deficiency on the Defense? The backfield.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Michael Huff solves this defense, in my opinion. Releasing Newman and adding Peterson, IMNSHO, is a lateral move.

I stood by the Ken Hamlin situation and I'll stand by this one. We only get better if we keep them both. Jenkins is still unproven and too inconsistent.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3888774 said:
Yes seriously. There are 5 men on the OL. There are 4 in the Defensive Backfield. Let's dissect right now who they are.

Terence Newman, will be 33 years old and has a $10.1 million cap count on a team that will probably be over the cap when a CBA is signed. In other words, highly probable he gets cut.

So we potentially could have 3 new starters back there in 2011. Yes, seriously, this highly concerns me.

In comparison the OL we have was part of an offense that without the starting QB and multiple WR injuries still came within 1 TD of 400 points on the season.

I can live with the OL as is for 1 year if we have to. I don't want to, but I can. I think the DBs are a mess and that, above all other reasons, is why I did not want Campo and Maxie back.

Not to mention the fact we gave up 436 points last year and couldn't stop a pass to save our lives.

not to jump on you I love your passion for Petersen

But I have to disagree - I say you build your teams from the trenches out

I say we sign Blalock from the Falcons

I say we have to get a starting RT - it could be Barksdale but IMO not

I am for trading down picking Sherrod - him and Free are almost twins

Why not have the flexibility of 2 athletic young bookends that are interchangeable? The type who does everything well but nothing great --- Possesses both the physical tools and intangibles that you look for in a left tackle prospect --- Not particularly flashy but very consistent

yet you have us drafting no CB's - were we going to get the money to sign some DB's

I think Newman will take a price reduction
Sensabaugh - but Jerry an JG want him back
Ball - mignt be back at CB
Jenkins will be back

this why I have us using a second rounder on CB - to be Newmans replacement in 2012

and signing Huff

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanuckCowboysFan;3888822 said:
Lol... Didn't you say the same thing about Dez last year??
No, I said that he wouldn't fall within our reach.

I was clearly wrong about that and have said so many times.

Edit...In fact I said many times that if he was where we could get him Jerry would jump all over it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3888839 said:
not to jump on you I love your passion for Petersen

But I have to disagree - I say you build your teams from the trenches out

I say we sign Blalock from the Falcons

I say we have to get a starting RT - it could be Barksdale but IMO not

I for trading down picking Sherrod - him and Free are almost twins

Why not have the flexibility of 2 athletic young bookends that are interchangeable? The type who does everything well but nothing great --- Possesses both the physical tools and intangibles that you look for in a left tackle prospect --- Not particularly flashy but very consistent

Mike Jenkins, flashes greatness and chicken with equal ease

yet you have us drafting no CB's - were we going to get the money to sign some DB's

I think Newman will take a price reduction
Sensabaugh - but Jerry an JG want him back
Ball - mignt be back at CB
Jenkins will be back

this why I have us using a second rounder on CB - to be Newmans replacement in 2012

and signing Huff
Riddle me this Batman.

$137.1 million in dedicated money. Free is not yet signed. Kosier is not yet signed. Sensabaugh is not yet signed.

The cap in 2009 was $128.1 million.

How are you signing Blalock, Huff, and Sensabaugh, plus Free and Kosier who Jerry and JG also say they want back and then where are you getting the money for the draft picks?

Yours is a great plan, but unless we play another uncapped year what you propose is highly unlikely to even be a dream.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;3888774 said:
I can live with the OL as is for 1 year if we have to. I don't want to, but I can.

I've seen that movie before. It ends with Romo on his back and our runningbacks dodging linebackers in the backfield in crucial situations.

The idea that we need more secondary players is an easy trap to fall into but we've drafted plenty of DB's, it's time to stop ignoring the offensive line.

I'm not even against taking a Db at #9, I'm just amazed you'd say the secondary is a bigger concern than the trenches.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;3888858 said:
I've seen that movie before. It ends with Romo on his back and our runningbacks dodging linebackers in the backfield in crucial situations.

The idea that we need more secondary players is an easy trap to fall into but we've drafted plenty of DB's, it's time to stop ignoring the offensive line.

I'm not even against taking a Db at #9, I'm just amazed you'd say the secondary is a bigger concern than the trenches.
Because 3/4 of it may be new.

If not new, who?

Scandrick, Church, McCann, and Jenkins.

You're good with that?