Twitter: Machota: Romo changed play on 3rd and goal play; Dez didn't know

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 6m
Watching Cowboys game again. On 3rd and goal from the 9 with 7:47 to go in the third, Romo changed the play and Dez never knew what it was.

That's the play Romo threw a screen to Williams instead of taking advantage of the single coverage on Dez. Result: 2-yard gain. Field goal.

reddyuta

Reaction score
did anybody see Dez pouting and mad at the sidelines after that? he knew he could get it done on single coverage but Romo never even looked at him.

khiladi

Reaction score
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 6m
Watching Cowboys game again. On 3rd and goal from the 9 with 7:47 to go in the third, Romo changed the play and Dez never knew what it was.

That's the play Romo threw a screen to Williams instead of taking advantage of the single coverage on Dez. Result: 2-yard gain. Field goal.

So his observation was based upon 'watching the Cowboys game gain'?

Deep_South

Reaction score
Sheesh. Williams was tackled by three unblocked Chiefs simultaneously with another three Chiefs standing around them watching.

khiladi

Reaction score
We have no idea if Romo audibled out of it, and he did, why was such a stupid play call among the options Romo was given? If Romo was looking at Dez as the first read, then no way in hell he would have audibled out of it, unless he had a brain stroke.

In my opinion, whether it was a call or not, Romo is at fault for not simply recognizing it and calling a pass to Dez.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Sheesh. Williams was tackled by three unblocked Chiefs simultaneously with another three Chiefs standing around them watching.

And why would you throw a screen to Williams? He's not overly big, he's not overly quick. He's a long stride guy that will probably do most of his damage on go routes. I just didn't understand any of that. I don't know what Tony saw there but whatever it was, I didn't see it.

It is what it is.

Hoov

Reaction score
We have no idea if Romo audibled out of it, and he did, why was such a stupid play call among the options Romo was given? If Romo was looking at Dez as the first read, then no way in hell he would have audibled out of it, unless he had a brain stroke.

In my opinion, whether it was a call or not, Romo is at fault for not simply recognizing it and calling a pass to Dez.

i really would like to know what was the original play call there and what the different options were because what we saw just looks awful

Reaction score
i really would like to know what was the original play call there and what the different options were because what we saw just looks awful
The original play call had to have been the screen and Romo refused to audible out of it.

The idea that Romo would have audibled out of going to Dez and to go to that screen instead seems too preposterous to believe. It would be a firing offense.

mugsybows

Reaction score
on the radio today everyone is talking about this play the most. it has everybody baffled why they would do that with Dez 1 on 1.

khiladi

Reaction score
The original play call had to have been the screen and Romo refused to audible out of it.

The idea that Romo would have audibled out of going to Dez and to go to that screen instead seems too preposterous to believe. It would be a firing offense.

That is what I'm saying.. If the Dez play is the original play, then you don't audible out of it, cause you got one-on-one coverage on your best WR. That is exactly the coverage you want. It had to have been the original play and Romo just went with it. Why he refused to audible out of it, I don't get... It looks like to me, one could make the case, he just wasn't paying attention and was set on the screen. Dez was holding up his arms, but it didn't look like Romo paid any real attention.

50cent

Reaction score
my issue(s) are the 1st and 2nd down play calls.. why not one fade attempt to Dez?

just so much fail all around on that redzone series

My problem is that on 1st and goal from the 5, WE PASSED! I'm glad DMurray spoke out about the lack of run plays called and put it on the coaches.