Twitter: Machota: Romo changed play on 3rd and goal play; Dez didn't know

Kilyin

Reaction score
The play was a 3 yard loss, not a 2 yard gain... not that it matters much

The Natural

Reaction score
I don't know, but this doesn't really make sense either. The reason you motion Williams over to the other side is to create the 1-on-1 for Dez in the first place. To motion Williams over to run the screen seems ridiculous to me. You motion Williams to create your mismatch, not to run a play where you have 7 or 8 guys all stacked up. The play had to chance.

You have to go to the mismatch on the other side that you created with the motion.

So if he didnt audible to a screen why didnt he take advantage of the mismatch you just said he created with the motion?

links18

Reaction score
Then why not call a draw or a straight dive to line up the kick? If what you are really going for is securing 3, why put the ball up at all? That screen was a risky play on it's own because there is all kinds of traffic on the goal line, plus, you are putting the ball in the hands of a Rookie who has already shown he will cough it up.

I don't see it.

Well, I'm out of explanations then. It sure seemed like a give up play to me at the time.

Reaction score
So if he didnt audible to a screen why didnt he take advantage of the mismatch you just said he created with the motion?
Maybe Romo doesn't know what Dez is going to do. So he goes to the other side where he knows what's happening. I don't know. I'm shaking my head like everyone else.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Exactly. It's not even like KC changed their defense at the last second -- that play was dead from the start.

Plus I would throw out TW on screens anyway because he's not a strong runner -- in college he pretty much went down on first contact. But that's secondary to this discussion.

I wonder if Bob could be right that the team was overly worried about a turnover there and was trying to play it safe. But that doesn't make much sense the way Dez was beasting all day.

BTW, I'm sure you guys heard that apparently the call was going to be a slant to Dez but Romo said the standup end was there ready to defend that. Seems like the thing to do there was the supposed new hand signal system where Romo signals a fade to Dez.

meh , the slant OR fade was open, stand up end or not, thyere was no safety on that 1/3 of the field and it was basically pitch and catch. Romo *** up no matter what the call was. Its his job to identify those easy options and make plays, period

Deep_South

Reaction score
The irony here is that would have been a perfect call if the play was to Dez. KC bit on the screen all they way and ignored Dez.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Here's a novel idea. How the hell about running the damn ball when we have it first and goal from the freaking five yard line????? Then we wouldn't be 2nd and goal from the 10 or 11 yard line after a sack.

Zordon

Reaction score
This one 100% falls on Romo. There is no way out of it. If the OC called for the screen.. then Romo should have audibled out of it and thrown to Dez, if the OC called the pass to Dez, then Romo shouldn't have audibled out of it. Brain farts in the red zone happen a lot with this team for some reason.

Yesterday I knew he audibled INTO that play. I don't know why everyone was so quick to blame Callahan. Nobody forced him to make that throw. He thinks he's Peyton Manning.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Don't know about anyone else. But, getting pretty sick and tired of WR and TE "screens".. Throw it up. ya got two tall WR's in Bryant and Austin.

Put some faith in yourself and the players. Get some confidence. You don't need trickery when the will to score is high and you believe nobody can stop you.

links18

Reaction score
Here's a novel idea. How the hell about running the damn ball when we have it first and goal from the freaking five yard line????? Then we wouldn't be 2nd and goal from the 10 or 11 yard line after a sack.

No, it would be second and goal from the 7 after a two yard loss. .

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
The bottom line is if we don't find a way to run the ball effectively (which means developing an attitude of sticking with it even if the results aren't there all the time), we will go nowhere. It's just that simple. 37 rushing yards agaist the Chiefs won't cut it. We just gave up on running the ball. Even when we had Emmitt in the 90's our run game wasn't always there in the first half. The difference is we stuck with it and it paid off in the second half. Running the ball is as much about attitude as anything else.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Yesterday I knew he audibled INTO that play. I don't know why everyone was so quick to blame Callahan. Nobody forced him to make that throw. He thinks he's Peyton Manning.

Peyton is brilliant at the audible. Such a smart QB.

Tony plays dumb sometime. Like that play.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Can anyone imagine Aikman going to the line in a 3rd down redzone situation with Irvin in a 1 on 1 and choosing to throw a wr screen to rookie Kevin Williams instead? I sure can't.