Machota's 15 still available free agents that can help the Cowboys

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephon Gilmore, CB
If the Cowboys entered Week 1 with their current roster, their starting cornerbacks would be Trevon Diggs, DaRon Bland and Lewis. They still need more help at the position. Diggs is coming back from a significant knee injury. Gilmore fit in well last season. Re-signing him would allow the Cowboys to keep Bland on the inside, which might be his best position. Gilmore has said that he wants to remain in Dallas.

Zach Cunningham, LB
He played last year in Philadelphia on a one-year, $1.8 million deal. The 29-year-old played in 13 games, starting 10 for the Eagles. He finished third on the team with 85 tackles. Dallas needs depth at linebacker. The top three are expected to be Kendricks, Damone Clark and DeMarvion Overshown, but Overshown is coming off a season-ending knee injury. Adding another veteran and drafting a player in the later rounds for special teams purposes seems like a good plan.

Linval Joseph, DT
The 35-year-old signed a one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Buffalo Bills last season. He played in seven games. He hasn’t played in a full season since 2020. The Cowboys would’ve been better off bringing back Hankins, but they now at least need some experience and size in the middle of their defensive line. Joseph had his best years (2014-2019) while playing for new Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer in Minnesota.

Teair Tart, DT
Help is needed in the middle and Tart could provide help at stopping the run. The 26-year-old had a career-high eight tackles for loss last season while splitting time between Houston and Tennessee. The Cowboys have to get more production from the defensive tackle position. Can they really afford to use a Day 1 or Day 2 pick in that area? Last year’s first-round pick, Mazi Smith, needs to make a second-year jump, but if that doesn’t happen, Dallas could be in a lot of trouble. Osa Odighizuwa is the only proven tackle on the roster.

Dalvin Cook, RB
Zimmer was the Vikings’ head coach when they drafted Cook in the second round. He had four Pro Bowl seasons in Minnesota. He ran for 1,173 yards in 2022. But he struggled last season, his first with the New York Jets. He carried eight times for 23 yards for the Baltimore Ravens in the playoffs. Dallas needs help at running back with the loss of Pollard. That could be addressed in the second or third rounds. If it’s not, it’s difficult to see the Cowboys being any better on the ground in 2024.

J.K. Dobbins, RB
The 2020 second-round pick suffered an Achilles injury last year that caused him to miss almost the entire season. An ACL injury caused him to miss the entire 2021 season. There are obvious injury concerns, but at only 25, he’s a talented player who could offer big upside for a small investment.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB
He’s had a disappointing start to his NFL career. After being drafted in the first round to be the Kansas City Chiefs’ lead back, his production has declined each of the last four seasons. He’s probably not the answer at running back, but maybe the Cowboys liked him enough coming out of LSU to give him an opportunity on a cheap deal.

Odell Beckham Jr., WR
There was a time late in the 2022 season when Jerry Jones was hopeful that Beckham would join the Cowboys. However, he wasn’t able to make it back that season from an ACL injury. He played in 14 games last year for the Baltimore Ravens, catching 35 passes for 565 yards and three touchdowns. With the Cowboys moving on from Gallup, maybe Jones revisits the idea of seeing Beckham, 31, in Dallas.

Andrus Peat, OL
He’s been a three-time Pro Bowl left guard for the New Orleans Saints but he’s also had some work at left tackle. The loss of Smith makes left tackle a major need, however, if the Cowboys signed Peat, they could possibly play him at left guard and move Tyler Smith out to left tackle. The Cowboys would probably prefer to draft a left tackle at Pick 24 and keep Tyler Smith at left guard. But there’s no guarantee any of the top tackles will still be available at 24.

David Bakhtiari, LT
The five-time All-Pro missed almost all of last season because of a knee injury. He’ll be 33 in September. If the Cowboys are willing to sign him, why wouldn’t they have just brought back Tyron Smith? Great question. But he would seem more than capable of stepping in at left tackle and helping immediately.

5 others
Donovan Smith, OT: He has averaged 15 starts per season over his nine years in the NFL. Has recently won Super Bowl rings with the Buccaneers and Chiefs.

Mekhi Becton, OT: Knee injuries have been an issue for the 2020 first-round pick, however, he was able to start 16 games last season for the Jets.

Xavien Howard, CB: The four-time Pro Bowler is probably too expensive for the Cowboys, but he’d definitely help the position group.

J.C. Jackson, CB: He had 17 interceptions during the 2020 and 2021 seasons but only one pick over the last two since leaving New England.

Ezekiel Elliott, RB: It’s unlikely, but his time with the Cowboys and friendships with players on the team is enough to at least mention him.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
They try to make these guys sound so good, but I can see the Jones's doing the same, it's whatever, i'll take a few of those guys, no need to whine!! I'll take big beckton and a DT, get me a RB and I'm good. Kind of unsure about RB because we will have 4 on the roster, which probably means we will draft one later in the draft when it needs to be in rounds 2-3 , knowing us we may wait until the 6th

Creeper

Reaction score
Stephon Gilmore, CB
If the Cowboys entered Week 1 with their current roster, their starting cornerbacks would be Trevon Diggs, DaRon Bland and Lewis. They still need more help at the position. Diggs is coming back from a significant knee injury. Gilmore fit in well last season. Re-signing him would allow the Cowboys to keep Bland on the inside, which might be his best position. Gilmore has said that he wants to remain in Dallas.

Zach Cunningham, LB
He played last year in Philadelphia on a one-year, $1.8 million deal. The 29-year-old played in 13 games, starting 10 for the Eagles. He finished third on the team with 85 tackles. Dallas needs depth at linebacker. The top three are expected to be Kendricks, Damone Clark and DeMarvion Overshown, but Overshown is coming off a season-ending knee injury. Adding another veteran and drafting a player in the later rounds for special teams purposes seems like a good plan.

Linval Joseph, DT
The 35-year-old signed a one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Buffalo Bills last season. He played in seven games. He hasn’t played in a full season since 2020. The Cowboys would’ve been better off bringing back Hankins, but they now at least need some experience and size in the middle of their defensive line. Joseph had his best years (2014-2019) while playing for new Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer in Minnesota.

Teair Tart, DT
Help is needed in the middle and Tart could provide help at stopping the run. The 26-year-old had a career-high eight tackles for loss last season while splitting time between Houston and Tennessee. The Cowboys have to get more production from the defensive tackle position. Can they really afford to use a Day 1 or Day 2 pick in that area? Last year’s first-round pick, Mazi Smith, needs to make a second-year jump, but if that doesn’t happen, Dallas could be in a lot of trouble. Osa Odighizuwa is the only proven tackle on the roster.

Dalvin Cook, RB
Zimmer was the Vikings’ head coach when they drafted Cook in the second round. He had four Pro Bowl seasons in Minnesota. He ran for 1,173 yards in 2022. But he struggled last season, his first with the New York Jets. He carried eight times for 23 yards for the Baltimore Ravens in the playoffs. Dallas needs help at running back with the loss of Pollard. That could be addressed in the second or third rounds. If it’s not, it’s difficult to see the Cowboys being any better on the ground in 2024.

J.K. Dobbins, RB
The 2020 second-round pick suffered an Achilles injury last year that caused him to miss almost the entire season. An ACL injury caused him to miss the entire 2021 season. There are obvious injury concerns, but at only 25, he’s a talented player who could offer big upside for a small investment.

He’s had a disappointing start to his NFL career. After being drafted in the first round to be the Kansas City Chiefs’ lead back, his production has declined each of the last four seasons. He’s probably not the answer at running back, but maybe the Cowboys liked him enough coming out of LSU to give him an opportunity on a cheap deal.

Odell Beckham Jr., WR
There was a time late in the 2022 season when Jerry Jones was hopeful that Beckham would join the Cowboys. However, he wasn’t able to make it back that season from an ACL injury. He played in 14 games last year for the Baltimore Ravens, catching 35 passes for 565 yards and three touchdowns. With the Cowboys moving on from Gallup, maybe Jones revisits the idea of seeing Beckham, 31, in Dallas.

Andrus Peat, OL
He’s been a three-time Pro Bowl left guard for the New Orleans Saints but he’s also had some work at left tackle. The loss of Smith makes left tackle a major need, however, if the Cowboys signed Peat, they could possibly play him at left guard and move Tyler Smith out to left tackle. The Cowboys would probably prefer to draft a left tackle at Pick 24 and keep Tyler Smith at left guard. But there’s no guarantee any of the top tackles will still be available at 24.

David Bakhtiari, LT
The five-time All-Pro missed almost all of last season because of a knee injury. He’ll be 33 in September. If the Cowboys are willing to sign him, why wouldn’t they have just brought back Tyron Smith? Great question. But he would seem more than capable of stepping in at left tackle and helping immediately.

5 others
Donovan Smith, OT: He has averaged 15 starts per season over his nine years in the NFL. Has recently won Super Bowl rings with the Buccaneers and Chiefs.

Mekhi Becton, OT: Knee injuries have been an issue for the 2020 first-round pick, however, he was able to start 16 games last season for the Jets.

Xavien Howard, CB: The four-time Pro Bowler is probably too expensive for the Cowboys, but he’d definitely help the position group.

J.C. Jackson, CB: He had 17 interceptions during the 2020 and 2021 seasons but only one pick over the last two since leaving New England.

Ezekiel Elliott, RB: It’s unlikely, but his time with the Cowboys and friendships with players on the team is enough to at least mention him.
Cunningham looked pretty good for Philly early in the season last year. He faded with everyone else late.

No to Linval Joseph. I just do not think they can depend on him for a full game or a full season.

I think Bakhtiari is in worse physical condition that Tyron Smith.

Dobbins has had 2 serious injuries. He might be cheap but they have to cross their fingers every day of practice and every time he plays.

Mekhi Becton is always injured.

I don't know if Dalvin Cook has anything left in the tank.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Id probably look at Cunningham, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Donovan Smith, and Beckton. I've been wondering what happened to Clyde Edwards-Helaire, it looked like he was doing well, he was IRed a few times because of injuries but I don't think he needed surgery. He fell out of favor in KC I supposed because of durability and looked like he lost his burst. He's young enough if he just needs time to heal and condition he might be a good pickup.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All will be after the draft type signings most likely.
I will be surprised if any sign before the draft. Unless, the draft board turns out not as they are thinking for now.

Of course it depends how the draft does fall.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I think Beckton and Dobbins both have the feel of the Cowboys thinking they are smarter than everyone. I really liked Dobbins entering the draft. But a torn ACL, another knee injury, and a torn Achilles this year are a lot of injuries. I can see the Cowboys trying to sell this though.

Same thing with Beckton. He was pretty bad, I believe, at left tackle. Just doesn't have the foot speed. But he is young and a former top pick and I certainly see Dallas trying to sell this as well.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
there isn't any centers out there? the only one of that list I would consider is Teair Tart

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Most of these guys I don't see moving the needle, but there are some I would be happy if they did pick up. Gilmore & Tart would be welcome additions to the defense. If Becton on a low risk deal seems like a no brainer to me, I wonder what his market actually looks like? If Jonah Williams got $15M per year I have to believe Becton gets more than the Cowboys are willing to spend.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think Beckton and Dobbins both have the feel of the Cowboys thinking they are smarter than everyone. I really liked Dobbins entering the draft. But a torn ACL, another knee injury, and a torn Achilles this year are a lot of injuries. I can see the Cowboys trying to sell this though.

Same thing with Beckton. He was pretty bad, I believe, at left tackle. Just doesn't have the foot speed. But he is young and a former top pick and I certainly see Dallas trying to sell this as well.
Dobbins would be cheap, the minimum. It would not be a bad idea to sign a guy that might pay off when healthy.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Tart and Helaire and thats about it. Both are young and healthy.

Shannon1

Reaction score
Stephon Gilmore, CB

Zach Cunningham, LB

Linval Joseph, DT

Teair Tart, DT

Dalvin Cook, RB

J.K. Dobbins, RB

Odell Beckham Jr., WR

Andrus Peat, OL

David Bakhtiari, LT

5 others

Why do we post this stuff we are not signing any of them