Magic Out as Lakers President

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They simply need to decide what direction the franchise is going.
Jeannie Buss has to decide that.
Then decide if she keeps Pelinka or starts over from scratch.

Do they want to go all in on championships or do they want to build a franchise for the next decade.
Do you play nice with Rich Paul or tell him to go away and collect his 3% off LeBron.

As Richard Jefferson notes it is a good coaching job right now. 5th head coach since 2011.
Unrealistic expectations driven from front office down to media then to rabid fan base.

Were I Buss I'd fire Pelinka and go hire a duo at President and Coach who can lead me to success for the next 15 years.
One who know analytics and drafting talent --See Spurs/Rockets.
Then I'd find a coach who can run a system best fitting my young long-term pieces.
LBJ iso ball would be basically dead except maybe late in 4th quarters.

You have to maximize your players on the roster and in trade. Use FA to buy low not just buy the biggest stars.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The LA Lakers

UntriedDeepFairyfly-size_restricted.gif

kristie

Reaction score
the lakers are nothing but a hot mess. i'll bet many here blame LeBron james, am I right?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
the lakers are nothing but a hot mess. i'll bet many here blame LeBron james, am I right?
He didn't help lol.
Magic was in place for one reason and one reason only. To recruit LBJ as the stars boyhood hero.
He got him but nothing else seemed to matter.

Luke Walton did a good job with the young core and the drafted some nice pieces only to do a 180 and sideline that development and those guys.
BI is the only talent strong enough to rise above the shift it seems.
The other guys all took hits or dings to their value and some have simply been let walk for nothing: See Julius Randle.

We saw in CLE what happens if you let the value on the roster die off. You get no return for guys in trade who do not fit around LBJ.
The Lakers and yes LBJ derailed a rebuild they had spent 4 years on.

Rich Paul trying to play GM is not good for LAL. That has to stop. His trying to bully teams into favorable deals for LAL only causes those teams to dig in.
And we saw NOP just flat out leak stories tearing that LAL team up.
If anything now the LAL packages look far far worse than what BOS and likely others can offer unless LAL hits a home run in lottery.
The AD trade power shifts to whomever lands in top in Lottery because zero people believe he is walking away form 50M to sign elsewhere.

kskboys

Reaction score
Magic was a great player and a horrific GM. There's absolutely no proof any player would make a good GM, and a ton of proof that they generally do not. Why? It's not the same skillset. Not even close.