RELEASED Maher, LS Jake McQuaid and C.J. Goodwin released

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Wow.

So if Gallup come back and plays like he did before, it won't matter how well Houston or Smith played because they're obviously not on Gallup's level.
Somebody will get hurt by then or underperform anyway. Things like that will work themselves out.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
Sounds to me like some fans don't understand what they are doing. These are procedural moves so that Dallas doesn't have to cut players it wants to keep while trying to get other players to short-term IR. We did the same kind of thing with our long snapper last year, cutting him and then re-signing him the next day. There are essentially agreements in place to bring back these players, so either Rush or Grier will be back as backup QB, Maher will be back as kicker and McQuaide will be back as long snapper.

There is a slight bit of risk involved in that the players could sign elsewhere if they wanted and got a better offer, but generally, that's not the way it happens.
Makes sense but as you mentioned, there is certain risk. The fact they are doing this says all you need to know about these positions.

ICP

Reaction score
Neither Maher or Rush would be any kind of great loss anyway

RonWashington

Reaction score
I could see CJ Goodwin not returning and running down Turpin on kickoffs …as a COMMANDER. At that point he deserves a salute .

quickccc

Reaction score
"ST ace" Goodwin. Yeah ok.

What a waste of a roster spot.

We have 6-8 guys that can do what he does. Keep someone with upside as a starter.

Goodwin, will never really contributed to the nickel or dime coverage packages but as critically important as punt -kick coverage is,. he's apparently adept at it
that the others cannot contribute as much.

There are guys like that around the NFL ..primary special teams guys. As long as its on the back end of the roster, i don't have a problem with that.
It's more a problem is Joseph and Wright are just ok on special teams, .and yet still just average and suspect coverage CBs, for guys we've invested very
high draft picks in ...that's more wasteful than a CJ Goodwin, imo.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Goodwin, will never really contributed to the nickel or dime coverage packages but as critically important as punt -kick coverage is,. he's apparently adept at it
that the others cannot contribute as much.

There are guys like that around the NFL ..primary special teams guys. As long as its on the back end of the roster, i don't have a problem with that.
It's more a problem is Joseph and Wright are just ok on special teams, .and yet still just average and suspect coverage CBs, for guys we've invested very
high draft picks in ...that's more wasteful than a CJ Goodwin, imo.
Sure. Let me know when Goodwin makes a play on ST anyone can remember.

quickccc

Reaction score
Sure. Let me know when Goodwin makes a play on ST anyone can remember.

He made several downfield open field tackles on punt coverage .. but if it's not a punt return for a TD that replay shows, almost no one cares as much.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He made several downfield open field tackles on punt coverage .. but if it's not a punt return for a TD that replay shows, almost no one cares as much.
I'm asking for a gunner play here and there from a guy that's there to do only that, not TDs.

I'm just saying he isn't worth passing on the upside of another player for...roster spot wise.

This team is as cheap as can be, yet they pay Goodwin much more than the minimum.

He is ordinary on ST, not special. Plenty of guys can do what he does, and I'd personally rather see Wright play one of those spots.

If he was lost to injury it wouldn't change a thing, and most people that call themselves Cowboy fans wouldn't as much as notice.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm asking for a gunner play here and there from a guy that's there to do only that, not TDs.

I'm just saying he isn't worth passing on the upside of another player for...roster spot wise.

This team is as cheap as can be, yet they pay Goodwin much more than the minimum.

He is ordinary on ST, not special. Plenty of guys can do what he does, and I'd personally rather see Wright play one of those spots.

If he was lost to injury it wouldn't change a thing, and most people that call themselves Cowboy fans wouldn't as much as notice.

i'm asking for a guy whose roster spot is gonna be at the back end and bottom of the 53 roster, that is the primary gunner on coverage, which if we
don't have the right guys, the opposing team is gonna that much a chance to break big plays and TDs on those punts, kickoffs.

That last roster spot and role per special teams purpose is not hurting us, Goodwin's salary is not hurting us. and if you don't have a guy that emerges and performs
with that one role, then you'll have issues on kick coverage unit.

At least i see Goodwin downfield and making the first tackle on returners.. what is Noah Brown doing on special teams that no one else cannot replace him
on special teams ?

fivetwos

Reaction score
i'm asking for a guy whose roster spot is gonna be at the back end and bottom of the 53 roster, that is the primary gunner on coverage, which if we
don't have the right guys, the opposing team is gonna that much a chance to break big plays and TDs on those punts, kickoffs.

That last roster spot and role per special teams purpose is not hurting us, Goodwin's salary is not hurting us. and if you don't have a guy that emerges and performs
with that one role, then you'll have issues on kick coverage unit.

At least i see Goodwin downfield and making the first tackle on returners.. what is Noah Brown doing on special teams that no one else cannot replace him
on special teams ?
I guess, and I can see looking at it that way, I just don't think he is anything special enough to keep here in that limited role.

I see every play of every game, and nothing jumps out at me with him. I'm sure he has made plays that's I've forgotten....but to be here just for ST? I dunno.

They wouldn't miss him if he was gone, and he is never playing a starting role. If roster spots on the 53 are that though to come by, I dont really see the point.

csirl

Reaction score
If these guys were any good, some other team would offer them a few k more than the minimum we're paying, and they're gone.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Can't imagine anyone wanting to poach Maher. But, who knows. o_O

I haven't followed other teams' camps. One would hope that no team is so hurting for a kicker that they'll poach Maher. But maybe a team is having a terrible camp for kickers.