RELEASED Maher, LS Jake McQuaid and C.J. Goodwin released

Ken

Reaction score
The more i look at this, the crazier it is...lol

You cut your K, LS, and best special teamer? Wow....curious to see how this plays out.

erod

Reaction score
So basically what we are saying is that Maher is pretty much the worst kicker in the league then.
No, he's just not good enough to be an obvious replacement somewhere.

They probably scanned the league for injuries or shaky situations and decided that there's little risk in doing this. Other teams may do the same.

Or....there may be a good kicker in a camp somewhere that they want to pounce on when he's released. Sometimes a team has a couple in camp that are both good.

Cutting McQuaide is a bit curious, but he's tight with Fassel, and he's a tenured veteran, so he doesn't hit the waiver wire like younger guys do.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Damn....risky letting go the LS. If someone claims him....oh boy.

We did it last year with him and had no problem getting him back, so I think they are assured that he's not going anywhere. I don't know if they convert some salary to bonus for these players to give them incentive to do this.

erod

Reaction score

You cut your K, LS, and best special teamer? Wow....curious to see how this plays out.
There are rules that prevent teams from "claiming" tenured veterans off of waivers. Those players have full control of where they play.

So there's a lot of wink-wink deals in the initial cuts to 53. All three of those guys probably know they'll be on the roster by the end of the week when everything shakes out.

Reactions: Ken

gimmesix

Reaction score
Most teams do the same thing
It’s just part of the game

I wish they would just change the rules and let teams put players on short-term IR without having to have them on the roster first. I suppose it would be abused by teams wanting to stash players on IR, but as we can see by this, they are already circumventing the system. They just have to jump through a hoop to do it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
There are rules that prevent teams from "claiming" tenured veterans off of waivers. Those players have full control of where they play.

So there's a lot of wink-wink deals in the initial cuts to 53. All three of those guys probably know they'll be on the roster by the end of the week when everything shakes out.

I'd like to see us move on from Goodwin. Not that I don't like him as a special-teamer, it's just all that he is. We're carrying six corners. We don't really need to carry a seventh who can't play corner.

I'd put him on the PS and bring him up for the first three games. Then, if someone gets hurt and roster spot opens, we can add him to the roster. Can't see anyone we kept who I'd give up for him. And considering we currently don't have a backup QB on the roster, we'd have to put four on IR to bring back these three and a QB.

Jipper

Reaction score

And don't forget both backup qbs

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Ya, i meant resign him. Sorry.

I'm the same way. I forget to use the terminology too.

The effect is the same. If a player gets cut, they're available.

I don't really care about the terminology, or how they theoretically get there, they're available.

A vet can re-sign with their old team or negotiate with a new one - or negotiate with several. A rookie can also go back to their old team, but only if they clear waivers and aren't claimed by another team.

lkelly

Reaction score
So how many guys are they putting on IR? Seems like there are at least 5 shell game players they released. Tyron and the Damone Clark - who else is going to IR that's so valuable?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'd like to see us move on from Goodwin. Not that I don't like him as a special-teamer, it's just all that he is. We're carrying six corners. We don't really need to carry a seventh who can't play corner.

I'd put him on the PS and bring him up for the first three games. Then, if someone gets hurt and roster spot opens, we can add him to the roster. Can't see anyone we kept who I'd give up for him. And considering we currently don't have a backup QB on the roster, we'd have to put four on IR to bring back these three and a QB.

We need more guys like Bland who can play CB and Safety.

At the same time, we're carrying like 7 WRs too, at least right now, with Washington and Gallup.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
So how many guys are they putting on IR? Seems like there are at least 5 shell game players they released. Tyron and the Damone Clark - who else is going to IR that's so valuable?

Actually, I think they said Washington wasn't going to be on IR, so it's likely Joseph and McKeon.

Iago33

Reaction score
Washington.

gimmesix

Reaction score

Clark is on PUP, so he doesn't count against the 53. Washington and Tyron are the only two that I know of.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
3c79c085f48b4a066037d3e1d5760be1.jpg

Damn, Cooper Rush with the TBT!

gimmesix

Reaction score
We need more guys like Bland who can play CB and Safety.

At the same time, we're carrying like 7 WRs too, at least right now, with Washington and Gallup.

Eight (Lamb, Gallup, Washington, Brown, Fehoko, Turpin, Tolbert, Houston). Maybe we'll start with seven once we put Washington on IR, since Gallup is out the first couple of games. But we are heavy there.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Clark is on PUP, so he doesn't count against the 53. Washington and Tyron are the only two that I know of.

So, Washington is on IR? I thought they said maybe he won't be, but I could be wrong about that. Rolling on like 2 hours of sleep. Slammed with work right now.

John813

Reaction score

They got handshake deals. They'll be back on the roster tomorrow/thursday once guys are IR'd

gimmesix

Reaction score
So, Washington is on IR? I thought they said maybe he won't be, but I could be wrong about that. Rolling on like 2 hours of sleep. Slammed with work right now.

From what I've read, we're keeping Gallup on the 53 and putting Washington on short-term IR.