RELEASED Maher, LS Jake McQuaid and C.J. Goodwin released

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Eight (Lamb, Gallup, Washington, Brown, Fehoko, Turpin, Tolbert, Houston). Maybe we'll start with seven once we put Washington on IR, since Gallup is out the first couple of games. But we are heavy there.

Wow.

So if Gallup come back and plays like he did before, it won't matter how well Houston or Smith played because they're obviously not on Gallup's level.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You just know teams are burning up the phone lines trying to get the great Maher on their team.
I dont think any team can grab any of the 3, as it said no waiver, and vested vets.
As long as dallas resigns them by certain date, no team can get them.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
So we have no kicker nor do we have a backup QB. Sounds like they know exactly what they are doing….:eek:

erod

Reaction score
I'd like to see us move on from Goodwin. Not that I don't like him as a special-teamer, it's just all that he is. We're carrying six corners. We don't really need to carry a seventh who can't play corner.

I'd put him on the PS and bring him up for the first three games. Then, if someone gets hurt and roster spot opens, we can add him to the roster. Can't see anyone we kept who I'd give up for him. And considering we currently don't have a backup QB on the roster, we'd have to put four on IR to bring back these three and a QB.
He's not a corner. He's a gunner, and a very good one. And he's involved in WAY more plays than the 6th receiver in a game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So we have no kicker nor do we have a backup QB. Sounds like they know exactly what they are doing….:eek:

Sounds to me like some fans don't understand what they are doing. These are procedural moves so that Dallas doesn't have to cut players it wants to keep while trying to get other players to short-term IR. We did the same kind of thing with our long snapper last year, cutting him and then re-signing him the next day. There are essentially agreements in place to bring back these players, so either Rush or Grier will be back as backup QB, Maher will be back as kicker and McQuaide will be back as long snapper.

There is a slight bit of risk involved in that the players could sign elsewhere if they wanted and got a better offer, but generally, that's not the way it happens.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
3c79c085f48b4a066037d3e1d5760be1.jpg
:laugh:

lukin2006

Reaction score
Big risk leaving Maher exposed … he may get poached by another team.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So why cut them at all?

Have to assign some players to IR, to do that they have to be on the original 53...once they go on you can replace them...so basically get your 53 and 16 (i think) ps players, then after its set and waivers pass you can place IR and add the others for the IR spots.

dogberry

Reaction score
Those of you in other market, can you give us examples of other teams using this strategy to get player to IR

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Our special teams coach is an idiot....:popcorn:

Im not sold on this yet he took over what was largley known as a not thought of unit.....from all accounts other than field goal kicker he is raising the bar...no doubt he needs to solve our Place kicker issues but the actual ST unit has gotten better and this year may be very good.