Mailbag: How would You Rate this Offseason

John813

Reaction score
C-.

Lost some key starters and depth. Defensive line took a good hit
Signed one linebacker, probably on the backend of his career.
Drafted replacements for lost starters.

The success of the season will rely on the rookies being competent starters and for the later draft picks at least being able to be rotated in.
The middle of the defensive line depends on the football maturity of Smith and Rogers(7th round). Oh and Davis, a vet who was on the practice squad(s) last year.

No "core" player re-signed to date.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
C-.

Lost some key starters and depth. Defensive line took a good hit
Signed one linebacker, probably on the backend of his career.
Drafted replacements for lost starters.

The success of the season will rely on the rookies being competent starters and for the later draft picks at least being able to be rotated in.
The middle of the defensive line depends on the football maturity of Smith and Rogers(7th round). Oh and Davis, a vet who was on the practice squad(s) last year.

No "core" player re-signed to date.
Pretty fair assessment.

Though I say they did not lose as many starters as some say. They were more rotational players. And they had rotational players still on the team that will step in.
The question there is, how will they do with a bigger role, and how will those drafted players, and 2nd year players do in the rotation.

Addition by subtraction in a few cases. Such as we now have real LB's playing LB and not S's playing LB's.

The trenches need to improve. On paper the OL can be better. But the DL, especially the DT's. We just do not know at this point. However, with real LB's now, they will support the run defense better.

John813

Reaction score
Pretty fair assessment.

Though I say they did not lose as many starters as some say. They were more rotational players. And they had rotational players still on the team that will step in.
The question there is, how will they do with a bigger role, and how will those drafted players, and 2nd year players do in the rotation.

Addition by subtraction in a few cases. Such as we now have real LB's playing LB and not S's playing LB's.

The trenches need to improve. On paper the OL can be better. But the DL, especially the DT's. We just do not know at this point. However, with real LB's now, they will support the run defense better.

I would say guys like Hankins and Gilmore were more of placement holders starters than stop gaps and I don't think they will be big losses with a healthy roster.
Biadasz was solid, but not a core OL. Smith IMO was the biggest one to lose as when healthy, he's legit.
LVE retired and well they covered that position this offseason multiple times.

I think for depth, my concern is the edge spots. Going to have to rely on Williams making a step up as a player and overall maturity on the field. Kneeland should be brought in nicely if he slots behind Lawrence.
Kearse wasn't a big loss due to the already existing depth.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
My answer is it was dull, because of the non actions and FA participation.
Because it was not to the fans liking, many will say it is the worst. But will it be?
Being active and participating shows an interest in improving the team. This FO clearly has no interest in getting better.

I don't understand why anyone would question the displeasure coming from the fanbase when the FO has sat on their butt doing nothing but twiddle their thumbs since the middle of January.

kskboys

Reaction score
Unmitigated disaster marred by egregious indecision
Oooooh, that is good!!!!

Let me paraphrase, using a phrase about Texas weather as a model:

Cowboys are in a perpetual state of disaster interrupted occasionally by egregrious indecision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
We made news by not making any news.

This did nothing but fuel speculation and spark debates/arguments regarding player personnel and team direction. Sprinkle in the specter of potentially more playoff futility, and this has just pretty much sucked.

If I'm looking for a plus, it's that I do hold more hope with this year's draft class than last year's.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As of today I give it an A+.

There’s no reason to try and build a great roster when you’re going to have a new HC and QB next season.
That may make sense if talking about signing people to one year deals, but not multi year deals. Even if it's true the QB & HC will be gone, you would still want to have to best foundation in place for the next QB & HC