News: Mailbag : who is the most underrated starter

Blackthorn

Reaction score
I would have to say Heath. He is heads up in run defense and has had the most interceptions on the team for a few years. Heath also lays the wood down as a big hitter.

On the other side of the ball La’el is a solid starter that gets crapped on by the fans on the forum.

There are 31 other teams that will call La’el if he hits free agency.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It would be easy to say Dak, Zeke or Amari on offense, or D-Law, Jaylon or LVE on defense but, IMO, it’s Travis Frederick C.

His presence on the field does more to improve the O-line as a UNIT, and therefore the entire offense, than any other player. He calls all the blocking and all the blocking audibles, makes few mistakes and is rarely penalized.

Looking forward to having him back.
fred is not under rated. he is perhaps the best center in NFL

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I was watching Maliek Collins vs Tampa Bay last night (was going to write a thread about how underrated he was, but I don't think it would have been worth any conversation beyond "cool story bro"). In that game, he had 3 tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 QB hit, and 3 pressures.

Dude has turned into a bona fide good 3 tech. Yes, health is a major concern, no, he doesn't make much of an impact in the run game, but he brings the pass rush better than most fans realize.

On a scale from 1 to 10, where a 10 is the arguably the best player in the league at their position and 1 is a camp body (Zack Martin is a 10, Chaz Green is a 1), I'd say a healthy Collins is like a 5 or 6 and the public perception of him is about a 3.

Now that they've finally resolved his footware issues, I think there's a good chance we see a big uptick in performance for the year.

Now would be the time to try and extend him with a Heath/Beasley/Church type of deal.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Now that they've finally resolved his footware issues, I think there's a good chance we see a big uptick in performance for the year.

Now would be the time to try and extend him with a Heath/Beasley/Church type of deal.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with him. With the cap-ocalypse coming up and Dak wanting a new deal, and Zeke wanting a new deal, and Cooper wanting a new deal, and having a top 5 paid O line, and D-Law getting $20M a season, and Jaylon wanting a new deal... man, I just don't know how all those numbers are going to work out. And the team just drafted Trystan Hill so they may see him as Collins' replacement.

I'd definitely sign him to a deal like what you're proposing, but we'll see if the team thinks the same way.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what they do with him. With the cap-ocalypse coming up and Dak wanting a new deal, and Zeke wanting a new deal, and Cooper wanting a new deal, and having a top 5 paid O line, and D-Law getting $20M a season, and Jaylon wanting a new deal... man, I just don't know how all those numbers are going to work out. And the team just drafted Trystan Hill so they may see him as Collins' replacement.

I'd definitely sign him to a deal like what you're proposing, but we'll see if the team thinks the same way.

Maybe, we can get a value contract on Collins.

We shouldn't get in the attitude of looking at the top guys, spending what's required, and then making due with the rest of the roster.

Value contracts, all the time. *If* Hill pans out, then Hill+Wood gives us 2 DTs. Still need another. Collins on a value contract gives us a 3rd who can play both spots *and* pass rush from both spots. Collins on a value contract means we can move on from Crawford. And save.

I'd rather hit all the potential value contracts *first*, then see what big name players we can afford.

Hit a guy for a contract in his contract year after a couple of down years. That's when you *might* get some serious savings. If they say no, then you know they're not part of your future and you make play time decisions accordingly.

On Cooper, I read he has the same agent as another player who recently played out his contract and hit free agency, and hit it big, instead of taking an offered extension in his contract year. That's the obvious play for Cooper. Between his rookie contract and his 5th year option pay this year, his total career earnings *so far* will be 37mil. He's got no reason to be desperate to get a chunk of cash. He can play the long game.

If we sign him, we are going to get so screwed. If we don't, I'll be pointing and laughing at Jerry and Stephen along with the rest of the country. They counted their extension before it was hatched. If you like it, then you shoulda put a ring on it.