News: Mailbag : who is the most underrated starter

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Maybe, we can get a value contract on Collins.

We shouldn't get in the attitude of looking at the top guys, spending what's required, and then making due with the rest of the roster.

Value contracts, all the time. *If* Hill pans out, then Hill+Wood gives us 2 DTs. Still need another. Collins on a value contract gives us a 3rd who can play both spots *and* pass rush from both spots. Collins on a value contract means we can move on from Crawford. And save.

I'd rather hit all the potential value contracts *first*, then see what big name players we can afford.

Hit a guy for a contract in his contract year after a couple of down years. That's when you *might* get some serious savings. If they say no, then you know they're not part of your future and you make play time decisions accordingly.

On Cooper, I read he has the same agent as another player who recently played out his contract and hit free agency, and hit it big, instead of taking an offered extension in his contract year. That's the obvious play for Cooper. Between his rookie contract and his 5th year option pay this year, his total career earnings *so far* will be 37mil. He's got no reason to be desperate to get a chunk of cash. He can play the long game.

If we sign him, we are going to get so screwed. If we don't, I'll be pointing and laughing at Jerry and Stephen along with the rest of the country. They counted their extension before it was hatched. If you like it, then you shoulda put a ring on it.

On the flip side, we signed Roy Williams to a 6 year contract after we traded a first for him, then took a bath when we released him after like two years. There is risk both ways. Looking it up, we did the same thing with Galloway as well.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think CBs Awuzie and Byron Jones are both somewhat underrated, considering they were hampered by playing through the injury bug. Here's hoping their recoveries will stand them in good stead as the upcoming season gets underway. Both are extremely talented when favored by good health.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
On the flip side, we signed Roy Williams to a 6 year contract after we traded a first for him, then took a bath when we released him after like two years. There is risk both ways. Looking it up, we did the same thing with Galloway as well.

Hence the general inadvisability of trading top picks for players. If you sign and trade, you're locked in for a big contract. If you trade and wait to sign, the player has you over a barrel of sunk cost.

The latter is particularly a problem in a case like Cooper, where he already has made over 10 mil, and will make over 10 mil this year. He's not in the position of needing to lock in his first big payday. He's had them. He can maximize long term value on his contract. Which probably means going to free agency to bid up his price, even if he ends up signing here.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Xavier Woods. He played OK as a rookie but by the end of his second year he was playing very well. Really, all that’s missing is the INT’s.

He hits like a truck, is good enough in coverage to take the slot receiver, he’s extremely smart (his Wonderlic score of 39 was like a QB score) his instincts and angles at safety are just right, and he loves to play the game physically. He has a defensive player’s attitude and it rubs off on the whole defense. Fans, IMO, don’t realize how good this guy is. His 39 on the Wonderlic is two points higher than Tony Romo, 3 points higher than Jason Garrett, and 6 points higher than Travis Frederick. Woods is smart. And football smart.

I didn’t want Earl Thomas to come to Dallas in FA. His injuries recently was a part of it, as was his salary demands... but for me a big reason was Xavier Woods. The guy doesn’t need to be moved from FS and he doesn’t need to be on the sideline. He’s a really good, young player who is only going to get better.

I love this guys coverage, smarts, and his physical style.

Last edited:

iRepDatStar

Reaction score
Chido... ppl around here think he's trash and gets burned every play when in reality most of the catches on him he was in really good coverage and it was just a better throw/catch

Hadenough

Reaction score
I would say Antwaun Woods. He doesnt get talked about much but when he is in the game he makes this defense better.