Mailbag: Why is offensive line struggling?

CCBoy

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-why-is-offensive-line-struggling

With two potential Hall of famers in Zack Martin and Tyron Smith, and Tyler Smith and Terence Steele considered above average linemen and a Pro Bowl center in Tyler Biadasz, why does the offensive line seem to be struggling? Is it a lack of playing time together? Is it the new offense? Or is age simply becoming a factor? – Andrew Padgett/Evans, GA

Nick Eatman:
At this point, I'm going to say it's probably more of a continuity thing than anything else. And not only the fact that they haven't played much together but the reason for that as well - injuries. Sure, some of these players have returned from injury setbacks such as Tyron Smith, Tyler Smith and Zack Martin, but that doesn't mean they're all 100 percent. And Terence Steele is returning from an ACL injury last December and Tyler Biadasz isn't exactly 100 percent as well. That's not an excuse, it's just to say they're all dinged up and trying to piece this thing back together. But the point is, they need to figure it out because it's affecting the team and making them one-dimensional at times. This not the type of offense that can rely solely on the passing game. Let's see what this bye week does for the team health-wise, especially the offensive line that might need the week off more than any other position on the field.

Patrik: Reps matter. The more the merrier. This OL combination is literally only two games in for the Cowboys, and it makes sense they're a bit disjointed at the moment. There's a kind of telepathy that exists for offensive linemen that only comes with more and more reps, an example being the chemistry that's being worked upon in real time by Tyron Smith and Tyler Smith, and between Tyler Smith and Tyler Biadasz. They've also had the unfortunate luck of trying to figure this all out while facing two of the best defensive lines in the entire NFL — first the 49ers and then the Chargers. Maybe they look better if they're tasked with facing lesser defensive fronts in their first two games, but that's not how football goes. You play who you play, so get ready to play. Up next comes the LA Rams, but the Cowboys will have these next two weeks (including the bye) to log more practices with this OL combination and to hopefully use the Rams as a sharpening tool for the dominant Eagles' defensive line. Also, be mindful that this OL isn't completely healthy yet, so the bye week will definitely help in that regard as well.

CCBoy

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...h-jayron-kearse-stephon-gilmore-tyler-biadasz

Tyron Smith, left tackle​

Since being drafted in 2011, Tyron Smith has been a stalwart for the Dallas Cowboys. Smith quickly emerged as one of the NFL’s best left tackles, providing a rare blend of power and athleticism for an offensive lineman. The once-famed second iteration of the Great Wall of Dallas saw Smith as the anchor for DeMarco Murray’s record-breaking 1,845 yards rushing in 2014. Smith is a decorated player who is likely bound for Canton. Unfortunately, he is in the twilight of his career.

Smith has struggled with injuries and has been unable to stay healthy for some time. He hasn’t played an entire season since 2015 with various injuries, often shuffling in and out of the lineup, and the team scrambling to find a ray of hope in the giant shadow cast by Smith’s frequent absences.

This year, the offensive line has yet to play up to the level we’ve come to expect from them. The team experimented with Tyler Smith at left tackle last year but also saw some encouraging returns on rookie Asim Richards in the preseason. It appears that Tyler Smith is the left tackle of the future, but the team will have to decide if that future starts in 2024.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
“They've also had the unfortunate luck of trying to figure this all out while facing two of the best defensive lines in the entire NFL — first the 49ers and then the Chargers.”

It might just be as simple as this. The last two DLs are just really good and outplayed the Cowboys OL.

Gambit

Reaction score

With two potential Hall of famers in Zack Martin and Tyron Smith, and Tyler Smith and Terence Steele considered above average linemen and a Pro Bowl center in Tyler Biadasz, why does the offensive line seem to be struggling? Is it a lack of playing time together? Is it the new offense? Or is age simply becoming a factor? – Andrew Padgett/Evans, GA

Nick Eatman:
At this point, I'm going to say it's probably more of a continuity thing than anything else. And not only the fact that they haven't played much together but the reason for that as well - injuries. Sure, some of these players have returned from injury setbacks such as Tyron Smith, Tyler Smith and Zack Martin, but that doesn't mean they're all 100 percent. And Terence Steele is returning from an ACL injury last December and Tyler Biadasz isn't exactly 100 percent as well. That's not an excuse, it's just to say they're all dinged up and trying to piece this thing back together. But the point is, they need to figure it out because it's affecting the team and making them one-dimensional at times. This not the type of offense that can rely solely on the passing game. Let's see what this bye week does for the team health-wise, especially the offensive line that might need the week off more than any other position on the field.

Patrik: Reps matter. The more the merrier. This OL combination is literally only two games in for the Cowboys, and it makes sense they're a bit disjointed at the moment. There's a kind of telepathy that exists for offensive linemen that only comes with more and more reps, an example being the chemistry that's being worked upon in real time by Tyron Smith and Tyler Smith, and between Tyler Smith and Tyler Biadasz. They've also had the unfortunate luck of trying to figure this all out while facing two of the best defensive lines in the entire NFL — first the 49ers and then the Chargers. Maybe they look better if they're tasked with facing lesser defensive fronts in their first two games, but that's not how football goes. You play who you play, so get ready to play. Up next comes the LA Rams, but the Cowboys will have these next two weeks (including the bye) to log more practices with this OL combination and to hopefully use the Rams as a sharpening tool for the dominant Eagles' defensive line. Also, be mindful that this OL isn't completely healthy yet, so the bye week will definitely help in that regard as well.
Exactly, and mix in it's a new blocking scheme on top of it. They need time to get.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I disagree with both of them. They have a coach who peaked in the 90’s, runs an old scheme for a coach who wants to play that way, and an owner who wants to relive the glory days with the triplets.
Figures, who has offered you any employment based on your football knowledge?

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
"This OL combination is literally only two games in for the Cowboys"

i actually hadnt really thought about this. Definitely a key factor.....and them all having lower leg injuries doesn't help either.

Hopefully the bye week does them good

plasticman

Reaction score
The offensive line must perform as a group more so than any other unit on the team. Almost everything these guys are saying is based off that.

Losing three guys that were all former Pro Bowlers for one game and then replacing them with two undrafted rookies and a journeyman backup was devastating. Even the worse defense in the league should be able to take advantage.

He's right about Steele. he hasn't been the same guy since returning from his injury. That's plain to see. Even if they become more cohesive as they re-familiarize themselves playing next to each other, they might still struggle physically through a 17 game season.

This is where I differ these two guys. You cannot evaluate this offensive line without considering the lack of concern by management when it came to providing depth. This is a massive blunder on their part when you consider the combined injury history of the starters. There were times this offensive line struggled because, simply put, it was undermanned.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Some of the problem is simply a mindset...and that can be improved with practice and leadership. Players have to work at it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You cannot evaluate this offensive line without considering the lack of concern by management when it came to providing depth. This is a massive blunder on their part when you consider the combined injury history of the starters. There were times this offensive line struggled because, simply put, it was undermanned.
Undermanned? Edoga, Bass, Richards and even Hoffman all stepped into playing roles and looked good. Especially Bass. In fact some would say the OL looked better when those players were in instead of the injured regular starters.

There wasn't any kind of "massive blunder" it looks like the Cowboys have real depth on the OL no one saw in the off season. That isn't some wild theory. Many were posting that same thing after Cowboy wins this season.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
My take is that from a run perspective, they seem to have two plays. One is the dive out of the shotgun and the other is the really slow developing play where Dak is under center and offensive linemen pull. As a defender, you know exactly where Pollard is going before the snap, purely based on formation. Defenders are overwhelming the point of attack.

That's why the O line is getting good PFF grades despite the poor results. They are blocking who they are supposed to, there are just more defenders there than blockers.

The one time that I saw Pollard get a pitch out, which is a different play, he got a big gain.

This is all on McCarthy and Schottenheimer. I won't even blame Solari at this point. Its a lack of variety in play design and playcalling. Ironically, its Garret-esque in that he had the same philosophy of having simple plays and you just had to beat your man.

If I was in charge, I would add a counter to the play under center and run that pitch out far more often out of the gun. You would at least go to 4 plays instead of 2 and not be able to predict the hole before the snap.

CCBoy

Reaction score
My take is that from a run perspective, they seem to have two plays. One is the dive out of the shotgun and the other is the really slow developing play where Dak is under center and offensive linemen pull. As a defender, you know exactly where Pollard is going before the snap, purely based on formation. Defenders are overwhelming the point of attack.

That's why the O line is getting good PFF grades despite the poor results. They are blocking who they are supposed to, there are just more defenders there than blockers.

The one time that I saw Pollard get a pitch out, which is a different play, he got a big gain.

This is all on McCarthy and Schottenheimer. I won't even blame Solari at this point. Its a lack of variety in play design and playcalling. Ironically, its Garret-esque in that he had the same philosophy of having simple plays and you just had to beat your man.

If I was in charge, I would add a counter to the play under center and run that pitch out far more often out of the gun. You would at least go to 4 plays instead of 2 and not be able to predict the hole before the snap.
Motion can have the same effect as well.

2.0 seconds they can handle, numbers attacking a play aren't being smartly managed up to here. Even that is overloaded in the Red Zone.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Nick Eatman:

The OL is struggling because of the change in scheme.
Go tell your OL to be ready to pass protect but also run block on a whim without a power running game.
We are a finesse running attack while we have power backs like Luepke not getting touches.

Kellsbells

Reaction score
With all of the mid-week injuries they’ve stacked up this year, including losing Diggs for the year, I’m having trouble putting faith in the bye week being the answer to any of our problems. I brace myself for the daily injury reports.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
How about when there is zero threat of a QB throwing the ball past the first down marker the defense can press the crap out of an offense.

Scotman

Reaction score
You can't figure this out by considering one single variable. There's a lot of moving pieces. On the o-line, they haven't played together and they've been injured. Some of them are coming back from major injuries. Some of them are older. And, your line didn't take a step forward when you drafted Parsons instead of Slater. I'm not saying that wasn't the right move. I'm just saying that our o-line would look better with Slater. (D would look MUCH worse) The o-line also looks worse because your RB1 is also coming off a major injury and isn't as quick, powerful or elusive. You also lost your TE1, which has had some impact. Couple all of that with a line coach with far more miles behind him that he has ahead of him...and this is what you get.

If our guys continue to heal and can play together, and our RB1 does the same, the line will look much better.

I don't think it's any one thing. And I believe there's a real chance that the offense will improve throughout the season.

Next year, I'm drafting o-line and RB in the top three-four rounds if the right guy is there.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I think to be blunt coaching is the biggest single factor. New scheme and the injuries are also factors.
Bluntly speaking four of these guys have worked together enough so that should not be a problem.
Steele sadly is probably not going to look like he did before until next year. One can hope he will get better this year but who knows. I think that is the biggest single injury factor.
Agree running into arguably the two best D lines in the league at this time was not going to help.
And Pollard also is a question mark; our RB squad as a whole is a question mark.

IT is up to the coaching staff to fix things; improvise and honestly COACH.
I have not seen a lot of that from either OL or OC and in the end that is on the HC