Mailbag: Why is offensive line struggling?

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Change in scheme, continuity. Will improve with time. How much? Not sure.

My .02 cents.

plasticman

Reaction score
Undermanned? Edoga, Bass, Richards and even Hoffman all stepped into playing roles and looked good. Especially Bass. In fact some would say the OL looked better when those players were in instead of the injured regular starters.

There wasn't any kind of "massive blunder" it looks like the Cowboys have real depth on the OL no one saw in the off season. That isn't some wild theory. Many were posting that same thing after Cowboy wins this season.
Edoga, Bass and Hoffman only started one game together and that was against the Cardinals. After scoring a combined 70 points during the previous two games, the Cowboys could only get 16 against the 31st ranked team on defense. You think they looked good?

Four second half drives that got to the Cardinals 10 yard line and they couldn't score a TD In all, they ran the ball 7 times inside the Cardinals 10 yard line and they got a total of 11 yards in addition to a penalty for 10 yards that Edoga received for offensive holding.

This is the opposite of looking good.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Edoga, Bass and Hoffman only started one game together and that was against the Cardinals. After scoring a combined 70 points during the previous two games, the Cowboys could only get 16 against the 31st ranked team on defense. You think they looked good?

Four second half drives that got to the Cardinals 10 yard line and they couldn't score a TD In all, they ran the ball 7 times inside the Cardinals 10 yard line and they got a total of 11 yards in addition to a penalty for 10 yards that Edoga received for offensive holding.

This is the opposite of looking good.

Well not that bad I think. But certainly not really good either. I think they have POTENTIAL to be very good backups but starters? Would have to see more against a quality DL

plasticman

Reaction score
Well not that bad I think. But certainly not really good either. I think they have POTENTIAL to be very good backups but starters? Would have to see more against a quality DL
Agreed, the potential is there but that has little bearing on the present.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Good points all.

Appears to be a combination of all. Tyron is certainly still a good LT but not Pro Bowl level. Tyler is still green though pretty good. Biadasz is a JAG, Martin still a Pro Bowler, Steele is another JAG.

So the talent to be a top OL is lacking overall, though coaching and continuity can help. But only so much.

Add to that Pollard is not, as I and others have said even before the season, not a lead back. He did well when teams were keying on Zeke and Pollard could be moved around and used where teams didn't know he would be used. But now, he's "the guy", teams now key on him, and have a year's worth of game film to study. He's not the "new kid on the block".

Lastly, Dak is not more than above average, if that high, he's not going to light up the scoreboard with his passing nor is he the running threat a Jackson or even a Hurts is.

All this adds up to a pretty good team, but not championship caliber, barring some very good luck, injuries on several other teams and everything falling exactly for our Cowboys.

But I'll be here, regardless...

Creeper

Reaction score
I recorded the game and rewatched it, slowing the running plays down and watching the offensive linemen to see where the problem is, The lack of movement by the OL in general is obvious. But the breakdowns in the running game against the Chargers can be attributed to a few things.

1. The C, Biadasz, did not have a good game. I don't know how he played in other games but against the Chargers he got beat run blocking a lot at the LOS. When he was supposed to get upfield and take out a LB or S, he whiffed or didn't hold his block long enough. He was the weak link in the OL. Again, this is just for the Chargers game

2. The downfield blocking was awful. When the line did open a whole at the LOS, the guys charged with taking out the second level players did a bad job. They either didn't get the right guy, or didn't hold their blocks. This includes the pulling linemen, TEs and FB. Even on screens and pitchouts, the guys pulling around to get downfield did a pretty bad job taking out the defenders who would eventually make the tackle. A couple of plays to Pollard could have been huge if teh out front blockers took someone out.

3. The TEs were not strong enough at the point of attack. I saw Ferguson, McKeon and Schoonmaker all get knocked backwards a step when they were supposed to be doing the knocking back. Those plays were doomed to failure immediately.

4. Pass blocking by the OL was better than I thought when I first watch the game. When the Chargers rushed 4, the protection was solid for the most part, especially in the first half. The Chargers rushed 6 a few times and the OL was outnumbered but overall the protection was good. In the second half the Chargers showed some different looks rushing 5, or dropping someone back and sending a LB. There were more stunts and twists and the Cowboys got fooled a few times. The protection in the second half was a bit worse. Dak took a couple of sacks he didn't have to. There are times when Dak doesn't see the middle of the field and he holds the ball too long. But for the most part he had time to get rid of the football.

I think some of this is fixable. But the TEs need to get stronger and they all need to hold their blocks a bit longer in space. I know some people are blaming Pollard but I did not see him make many mistakes He got hit a few times before he got to the LOS. A couple of times he carried the tacklers forward to prevent a loss. There just weren't any holes. When he got some room he looked pretty nimble.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Biadasz gets pushed back too easily, Steele not 100% and it shows, Martin is starting to decline and Tyron is definitely not what he once was.
My redeeming view is that despite of situational problems, this group still has plenty of talent and are fully committed to team. I have to put my trust in real men who go to war and fight in a redeeming way. That part makes me proud. They still have high talent levels and time to come back together successfully. Three Pro Bowl level players are still the dominant feature to this group.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I disagree with both of them. They have a coach who peaked in the 90’s, runs an old scheme for a coach who wants to play that way, and an owner who wants to relive the glory days with the triplets.
Seriously you say he's peaked yet he has us on one of the best most consistent runs weve had since ethe 90s..he at least has us winning and being relative consistency.. finished 2002 3-1 backed by 12-5 wc loss then 12-5 2nd round loss, now 4-2 id say that nonsense hes peaked. Basically top 3-5 in wins since hes arrived.. right, so outdated no one beating us regularly outside of the 9ers.

do we need some adjustments sure but come on .. some more overreactions from the peanut galery.

By the way you know all these allegedly new age coaches from college like Chip Kelly and many others have come here and totally failed... I mean why didn't Kelly Moore he seemed to come from a crazy offense in college and couldn't get much more done than right now Mike McCarthy's done?? Check the offensive stats head to head Mike McCarthy Kellen forst 6 games of each of the last 3 years..you will find they are very similar.. who won the H2h, right the outdated coach..

CCBoy

Reaction score
Only on the Dallas Cowboys can getting all the starting lineman back actually require a re-learning curve
Each respective lineman hasn't had time with all the starters for over 6 months. That requires adjustments to personal traits and operational speeds and distances to again be instinctive in a game.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I recorded the game and rewatched it, slowing the running plays down and watching the offensive linemen to see where the problem is, The lack of movement by the OL in general is obvious. But the breakdowns in the running game against the Chargers can be attributed to a few things.

1. The C, Biadasz, did not have a good game. I don't know how he played in other games but against the Chargers he got beat run blocking a lot at the LOS. When he was supposed to get upfield and take out a LB or S, he whiffed or didn't hold his block long enough. He was the weak link in the OL. Again, this is just for the Chargers game

2. The downfield blocking was awful. When the line did open a whole at the LOS, the guys charged with taking out the second level players did a bad job. They either didn't get the right guy, or didn't hold their blocks. This includes the pulling linemen, TEs and FB. Even on screens and pitchouts, the guys pulling around to get downfield did a pretty bad job taking out the defenders who would eventually make the tackle. A couple of plays to Pollard could have been huge if teh out front blockers took someone out.

3. The TEs were not strong enough at the point of attack. I saw Ferguson, McKeon and Schoonmaker all get knocked backwards a step when they were supposed to be doing the knocking back. Those plays were doomed to failure immediately.

4. Pass blocking by the OL was better than I thought when I first watch the game. When the Chargers rushed 4, the protection was solid for the most part, especially in the first half. The Chargers rushed 6 a few times and the OL was outnumbered but overall the protection was good. In the second half the Chargers showed some different looks rushing 5, or dropping someone back and sending a LB. There were more stunts and twists and the Cowboys got fooled a few times. The protection in the second half was a bit worse. Dak took a couple of sacks he didn't have to. There are times when Dak doesn't see the middle of the field and he holds the ball too long. But for the most part he had time to get rid of the football.

I think some of this is fixable. But the TEs need to get stronger and they all need to hold their blocks a bit longer in space. I know some people are blaming Pollard but I did not see him make many mistakes He got hit a few times before he got to the LOS. A couple of times he carried the tacklers forward to prevent a loss. There just weren't any holes. When he got some room he looked pretty nimble.
A good post as to observations.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Undermanned? Edoga, Bass, Richards and even Hoffman all stepped into playing roles and looked good. Especially Bass. In fact some would say the OL looked better when those players were in instead of the injured regular starters.

There wasn't any kind of "massive blunder" it looks like the Cowboys have real depth on the OL no one saw in the off season. That isn't some wild theory. Many were posting that same thing after Cowboy wins this season.
Line hasn't really played well all year. Three of their wins were against teams where the QB's buckled under pressure and threw the games away. Our offense didnt really have to show up in any of of those games. Offensively those games weren't impressive and the OL was a part of that

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Biadasz gets pushed back too easily, Steele not 100% and it shows, Martin is starting to decline and Tyron is definitely not what he once was.
So no easy solutions , Steele atleast should run block a bit better but may not be 100% .
Zack is been declining and injury prone now , but he is almost at the end of stellar career. Tyron is alreadythere.
Tyler going thru growing pains of playing different positions and also injured. Biadaz is justaverage.

CCBoy

Reaction score
So no easy solutions , Steele atleast should run block a bit better but may not be 100% .
Zack is been declining and injury prone now , but he is almost at the end of stellar career. Tyron is alreadythere.
Tyler going thru growing pains of playing different positions and also injured. Biadaz is justaverage.
You really mean that not so good picture delivered?

coult44

Reaction score
Seriously you say he's peaked yet he has us on one of the best most consistent runs weve had since ethe 90s..he at least has us winning and being relative consistency.. finished 2002 3-1 backed by 12-5 wc loss then 12-5 2nd round loss, now 4-2 id say that nonsense hes peaked. Basically top 3-5 in wins since hes arrived.. right, so outdated no one beating us regularly outside of the 9ers.

do we need some adjustments sure but come on .. some more overreactions from the peanut galery.

By the way you know all these allegedly new age coaches from college like Chip Kelly and many others have come here and totally failed... I mean why didn't Kelly Moore he seemed to come from a crazy offense in college and couldn't get much more done than right now Mike McCarthy's done?? Check the offensive stats head to head Mike McCarthy Kellen forst 6 games of each of the last 3 years..you will find they are very similar.. who won the H2h, right the outdated coach..
I guess I could have been more clear and spelled it out instead of beating around the bush. I’m talking about the the Offensive Line Coach Mike Solari. He peaked in the early 90’s and he’s works for Big Mike who wants to play the type of ball Solari used to be successful playing.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I guess I could have been more clear and spelled it out instead of beating around the bush. I’m talking about the the Offensive Line Coach Mike Solari. He peaked in the early 90’s and he’s works for Big Mike who wants to play the type of ball Solari used to be successful playing.
Solari can identify anything that affects his offensive line...he's under directions on how to approach techniques and identifying processes.

coult44

Reaction score
Figures, who has offered you any employment based on your football knowledge?
If you had the comprehension skills of at least a third grader you’d be able to to see exactly what I was saying. There’s a reason Solari is in the hot seat and could be fired Mid season. There’s NOTHING about football you know more than me. NOTHING!!!

CCBoy

Reaction score
If you had the comprehension skills of at least a third grader you’d be able to to see exactly what I was saying. There’s a reason Solari is in the hot seat and could be fired Mid season. There’s NOTHING about football you know more than me. NOTHING!!!
Learn how to read sheet music...good night. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

blueblood70

Reaction score
that cool whatever it is,

I'm watching a lot of college ball today and outside of some of the gimmick teams with the wide open offenses most college teams who run pro style offenses do a lot of the same things literally gets annoying the run run pass rhythm plus all the dump off to the edges and below the chains I seen it all day today especially from the Longhorns which gives me a giant headache because I I feel like I'm watching my Cowboys I mean they literally get beat at the very end against one of the better teams in Oklahoma and then now they're beating up on Houston who shouldn't even be in the game but because they're playing so conservative they're playing such a weird vanilla rhythmic offense just because they are up 14 and dont want to finish these guys off..feels like the Cowboys!! ughh​
like some have mentioned before they're not gonna reinvent the wheel with a brand new offenses there's only so many plays you can run the key to it is right maybe a different blocking scheme or hiding conservative plays within a formation that's hard to get a read on...​

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
1. New blocking scheme = growing pains, especially with guys missing time due to injuries.

2. Tyron Smith is aging and declining, Zack Martin hasn't been himself due to multiple bumps and bruises, and Terence Steele has regressed.

3. Center is an issue. Biadasz has been merely "okay" and I think the Cowboys move on from him this offseason when he hits free agency.