Mailbag: Why is offensive line struggling?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree with both of them. They have a coach who peaked in the 90’s, runs an old scheme for a coach who wants to play that way, and an owner who wants to relive the glory days with the triplets.
Scheme is a big problem.

coult44

Reaction score
Learn how to read sheet music...good night. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Don’t need to, I have AI that can write it for me, and another one who can read it, and another one that can create with it. Your stuck in the past old man, just like your football ideas.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Undermanned? Edoga, Bass, Richards and even Hoffman all stepped into playing roles and looked good. Especially Bass. In fact some would say the OL looked better when those players were in instead of the injured regular starters.

There wasn't any kind of "massive blunder" it looks like the Cowboys have real depth on the OL no one saw in the off season. That isn't some wild theory. Many were posting that same thing after Cowboy wins this season.
TJ Bass sent Farniok packing for a reason. The only problem is he's green. But he has the athleticism and upside to play in the league.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Don’t think it’s a personnel issue, it’s more about the OL struggling with a new scheme. If this team cannot run the football, they will only go so far. Solari needs to fix this now or find someone else who can

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
How about when there is zero threat of a QB throwing the ball past the first down marker the defense can press the crap out of an offense.
There is something to this, i get your trying to lay it on Dak and some of it is on him, the LB's are sitting on these slants in an easy zone which also makes it easy to spot run plays, with no counters or misdirection its really easy for them to shoot gaps when they see its a run..if we dont start throwing 10 to 15 yard outs by flooding zones they will not get out of this short zone defense that will kill a basic run attack..

CCBoy

Reaction score
There is something to this, i get your trying to lay it on Dak and some of it is on him, the LB's are sitting on these slants in an easy zone which also makes it easy to spot run plays, with no counters or misdirection its really easy for them to shoot gaps when they see its a run..if we dont start throwing 10 to 15 yard outs by flooding zones they will not get out of this short zone defense that will kill a basic run attack..
There's Social Security if one is merely trying to retire everything. More is involved and not on a negative ledger.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Talent and execution is severely diminished on the line due to age and injury. Pro Bowls are only given yearly for good reason, and the tape doesn't lie. This isn't a Pro Bowl line right now, and some players are not necessarily playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Scheme is a bit challenging for the talent and physical ability of the players right now.

Our RB is four years in the league coming off a lower leg injury. Our RT is coming off a major knee injury. Our RG is a nine year vet with growing back issues. And the LT is a 12 year vet with multiple body injuries over the past years, but especially the past four.

They can play at a high level at times, but I would not consider them the best at their positions outside of Zack, and I would not consider this line to be the most gelled and coordinated in the league.

They are far from being in the top 5 class, and we need dominant OL play to support Dak who is not neccesarily a play making magician extraordinaire, and Pollard is not the second coming of Barry Sanders who can make something out of nothing.

Based on last game this offence doesn't have playmaking juice right now. It was a shame to call that game the league's finest showing of talent between the Chargers and Cowboys. Yes the reffing sucked, but I felt both teams sucked equally. I know that teams have bad games, but for both teams to have a bad game??? If it wasn't the Cowboys I would have rather watched my local high school football where I can tolerate stupid pre-snap errors and bad reffing.

We need guys to get healthy. We need guys to focus more on working as a unit. We need playmaking talent.

More of week 5, and I would be concerned about the team's ability to get into the playoffs. So glad this is bye week. Getting lots of fall yard work done which seems to be a better use of my time on Sundays.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Outside of injuries, I’m not worried about the OL.

They finally have an OL coach.

The scrub RBs are more of a worry.

blueblood70

Reaction score
easy

Age, Injury, and scheme change... I believe it can get fixed just some adjustments this time as the season goes on... They need more time and more continuity within this new scheme or go back to the old one whatever works they're gonna get it on track.. They need to find the run game first one-dimensional football gets you nowhere in this game they're not physical enough to challenge the front sevens of some of these teams we're gonna see in the playoffs..

And by the way this has been a problem for several years if you look at the problems we've had in the playoffs it's been the offensive line in the run game being almost absent..

ESisback

Reaction score
My take is that from a run perspective, they seem to have two plays. One is the dive out of the shotgun and the other is the really slow developing play where Dak is under center and offensive linemen pull. As a defender, you know exactly where Pollard is going before the snap, purely based on formation. Defenders are overwhelming the point of attack.

That's why the O line is getting good PFF grades despite the poor results. They are blocking who they are supposed to, there are just more defenders there than blockers.

The one time that I saw Pollard get a pitch out, which is a different play, he got a big gain.

This is all on McCarthy and Schottenheimer. I won't even blame Solari at this point. Its a lack of variety in play design and playcalling. Ironically, its Garret-esque in that he had the same philosophy of having simple plays and you just had to beat your man.

If I was in charge, I would add a counter to the play under center and run that pitch out far more often out of the gun. You would at least go to 4 plays instead of 2 and not be able to predict the hole before the snap.
Simple, but correct!

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Outside of injuries, I’m not worried about the OL.

They finally have an OL coach.

The scrub RBs are more of a worry.
I am most worried about the injuries. They are the unknown, and it seems like we are always taken down by the unknown.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-why-is-offensive-line-struggling

With two potential Hall of famers in Zack Martin and Tyron Smith, and Tyler Smith and Terence Steele considered above average linemen and a Pro Bowl center in Tyler Biadasz, why does the offensive line seem to be struggling? Is it a lack of playing time together? Is it the new offense? Or is age simply becoming a factor? – Andrew Padgett/Evans, GA

Nick Eatman:
At this point, I'm going to say it's probably more of a continuity thing than anything else. And not only the fact that they haven't played much together but the reason for that as well - injuries. Sure, some of these players have returned from injury setbacks such as Tyron Smith, Tyler Smith and Zack Martin, but that doesn't mean they're all 100 percent. And Terence Steele is returning from an ACL injury last December and Tyler Biadasz isn't exactly 100 percent as well. That's not an excuse, it's just to say they're all dinged up and trying to piece this thing back together. But the point is, they need to figure it out because it's affecting the team and making them one-dimensional at times. This not the type of offense that can rely solely on the passing game. Let's see what this bye week does for the team health-wise, especially the offensive line that might need the week off more than any other position on the field.

Patrik: Reps matter. The more the merrier. This OL combination is literally only two games in for the Cowboys, and it makes sense they're a bit disjointed at the moment. There's a kind of telepathy that exists for offensive linemen that only comes with more and more reps, an example being the chemistry that's being worked upon in real time by Tyron Smith and Tyler Smith, and between Tyler Smith and Tyler Biadasz. They've also had the unfortunate luck of trying to figure this all out while facing two of the best defensive lines in the entire NFL — first the 49ers and then the Chargers. Maybe they look better if they're tasked with facing lesser defensive fronts in their first two games, but that's not how football goes. You play who you play, so get ready to play. Up next comes the LA Rams, but the Cowboys will have these next two weeks (including the bye) to log more practices with this OL combination and to hopefully use the Rams as a sharpening tool for the dominant Eagles' defensive line. Also, be mindful that this OL isn't completely healthy yet, so the bye week will definitely help in that regard as well.
The O-Line is struggling because opponents know that MM doesn't trust WENTZ 2.0 with deep patterns therefore defenses are stacking the box which affects the run game. If the Boys can't run the ball that means defenses are going to tee off on the O-Line on passing downs. Defensive lines are bring a 2 edge sword to a fist fight and our O-Line is paying the price for WENTZ 2.0's lousy play.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
We just need to run this formation more to keep the OL healthy and from having to face elite d'lines.

dc.jpg

CCBoy

Reaction score
The O-Line is struggling because opponents know that MM doesn't trust WENTZ 2.0 with deep patterns therefore defenses are stacking the box which affects the run game. If the Boys can't run the ball that means defenses are going to tee off on the O-Line on passing downs. Defensive lines are bring a 2 edge sword to a fist fight and our O-Line is paying the price for WENTZ 2.0's lousy play.
That is a very misdirected complaint upon design, scheme, how types of play grow through the season...an offensive line finally all playing in a couple of games in two seasons. Listening to you, I'm actually surprised the players have time to get jocks on prior to Jerry sending them out to play. No, that is closer to a crap load not paying attention or even caring to see roles of leadership and how teams successful and taught how to succeed.

Communications are necessary for timing, but as in service...there are times when communications are counterproductive and overcome in timing through diligent rehearsal. The pushie technique aint crap to this offensive line throwing a force completely in unison and with very alert and quick/fast special skill players.

If one is further stating these players just don't have the talent to excell at this level, he is a fool then. Start watching and not short selling if his bookie is still getting the best you.

CCBoy

Reaction score
We just need to run this formation more to keep the OL healthy and from having to face elite d'lines.

dc.jpg
In Junior High, the quarterback was alone on the ball and with a confused defense, he would toss the ball immediately to the weakest side.

Parcells, remember him? He would fake a run play and a receiver would act a block to the side line throwing a lame block at a secondary player. And then get off the ground ... wide open in a route when the ball was pitched back to the quarterback.

Football isn't a fairy tale.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-why-is-offensive-line-struggling

With two potential Hall of famers in Zack Martin and Tyron Smith, and Tyler Smith and Terence Steele considered above average linemen and a Pro Bowl center in Tyler Biadasz, why does the offensive line seem to be struggling? Is it a lack of playing time together? Is it the new offense? Or is age simply becoming a factor? – Andrew Padgett/Evans, GA

Nick Eatman:
At this point, I'm going to say it's probably more of a continuity thing than anything else. And not only the fact that they haven't played much together but the reason for that as well - injuries. Sure, some of these players have returned from injury setbacks such as Tyron Smith, Tyler Smith and Zack Martin, but that doesn't mean they're all 100 percent. And Terence Steele is returning from an ACL injury last December and Tyler Biadasz isn't exactly 100 percent as well. That's not an excuse, it's just to say they're all dinged up and trying to piece this thing back together. But the point is, they need to figure it out because it's affecting the team and making them one-dimensional at times. This not the type of offense that can rely solely on the passing game. Let's see what this bye week does for the team health-wise, especially the offensive line that might need the week off more than any other position on the field.

Patrik: Reps matter. The more the merrier. This OL combination is literally only two games in for the Cowboys, and it makes sense they're a bit disjointed at the moment. There's a kind of telepathy that exists for offensive linemen that only comes with more and more reps, an example being the chemistry that's being worked upon in real time by Tyron Smith and Tyler Smith, and between Tyler Smith and Tyler Biadasz. They've also had the unfortunate luck of trying to figure this all out while facing two of the best defensive lines in the entire NFL — first the 49ers and then the Chargers. Maybe they look better if they're tasked with facing lesser defensive fronts in their first two games, but that's not how football goes. You play who you play, so get ready to play. Up next comes the LA Rams, but the Cowboys will have these next two weeks (including the bye) to log more practices with this OL combination and to hopefully use the Rams as a sharpening tool for the dominant Eagles' defensive line. Also, be mindful that this OL isn't completely healthy yet, so the bye week will definitely help in that regard as well.
dak créates sacks by holding the ball too long. I admit they've sucked at run blocking since Garrett left.