MAJOR dressing-down of Vince Young...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:
I am not sold on VY but I am not sold on any of these QB'S I think they all have big ? surronding them actually the last Franchise QB to come out was Carson Palmer and people have been reaching the last 3 yrs IMO.
I get the same feeling.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Also interesting is the distinction in the article about how a QB is expected to "carry himself" as opposed to a WR or CB. A QB is supposed to prepare much harder and possess a great deal more work ethic and leadership skills.

A WR or DB are for the most part viewed as free from those "burdens." So, if a CB or a WR act arrogantly, or show a lack of preparation, they can get by on pure skill. With a QB, there is much more to the package.

The point is also made about how the QB is the focal point (in most cases) of a team. A QB prospect who comes in with an attitude that it is his birthright to take the position rather than displaying a hunger to earn the position and the respect from which it flows is on some level discomforting.

To some extent it is the same reaction we have when we hear Peyton Manning calling out his O-Line as the reason the team lost in the playoffs, or his brother pouting at the draft podium about playing for SD.

These guys should thank their Creator that they get to play the pinnacle position in a game that all of us have loved since we were children.

Show a bit of frickin humility, be grateful for your skills, and once you get there, work hard and act like a leader. This is the sentiment that the author was trying to tap into (and yes, the overall sentiment is tinged more than slightly with envy).

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
the only people who "rave" about his leadership skills are Texas fans

David

Ridiculous. That is one thing that practically everyone I have read has to say.

You can call him stupid and whatever, but he has always had the respect of his teammates.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Ridiculous. That is one thing that practically everyone I have read has to say.

You can call him stupid and whatever, but he has always had the respect of his teammates.
:signmast:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
>>>You do realize that it is the same O played by the number 1 pick from last year Alex Smith. <<<

yeah, and Alex Smith looked hopeless as a QB last yr...another year and people will label him a bust, especially when Norv Turner cant do anything with him

>>>Played under center 1st year at UT before they changed the O<<<

didnt he barely play his FR yr? wasnt he rotated in just as a change up QB?

>>>I guess you have charted all of his throws "the pass that won the Ohio State game was downfeild".<<<

I havent charted all his throws, then again nobody on here has either...I have watched him play though, and the vast majority of his throws were of the underneath, short/safe variety

>>>Your opinion because I have not heared that from scouts acuracy yes but arn strenght no <<<

dont recall seeing him zip any 20 yd outs anywhere...also never really saw him hitting WR's in stride

>>>Have you seen the O-line at USC and UT is in the same conference as OU<<<

OU has been painfully mediocre the past two seasons...they did play Ohio State and a very bad defensive team in Michigan, but other than USC, my statement is accurate...they didnt play very good teams...not their fault, but its true

>>>Name them? I beleive Mike vick has a winning record in the playoffs and Randal Cunningham had a lot of success in the NFL.<<<

Vick has a .500 record in the playoffs and has been a miserable passing QB...Randall Cunningham had some decent seasons but was a horrible QB in big games and in the postseason for two different teams

and you made my point for me again, like I said...its rare for people with his skill set (better runner than passer, mediocre passing skills, come from simple offenses that are not NFL-like in design) to become good NFL QB's...I wouldnt touch him in the 1st rd...too much of a risk and a huge huge project that is probably 2-3 years away minimum from beign able to line up on the field, let alone make any positive impact...

David

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David
Are you serious, have you somehow missed how much the UT players talked about how much they looked up to Vince Young and how he kept them relaxed in crucial situations??? If thats not a leader then i don't know who is

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
The point I was making is you are speaking in absolutes when you really have no idea like the rest of us. I dispelled all of your absolutes and then you backed away from them, so I did not make your point for you. Hey if you do not beleive he is a NFL QB thats fine because before this year I did not beleive it this year but he showed enough improvement and enough moxie for me to say hey the kid has a chance. I just hate when people speak in absolutes when they obviously have a axe to grind.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
I also thought that this was a horrible article. Vince Young comes from a background where family and friends are the most important thing to him. He chose a family friend as an agent because he trusts him, even though most people think that's a bad decision.

Guys like him are under a lot of scrutiny before the draft so it is really important to hire an agent who knows how to deal with that. He may not have made the best decision, but arrogance has nothing to do with it.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Article........lacks..uh, nevermind :bang2:

Whether or not VY has what it takes to be an NFL QB......we'll see.

As for me...I think he does and I can't wait to say "I told you so" to a few posters. When he does, I give my word, I will never let you forget it.:D

OH! and by the way.....that's not a threat...it's a promise.;)

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
As for me...I think he does and I can't wait to say "I told you so" to a few posters. When he does, I give my word, I will never let you forget it.:D

OH! and by the way.....that's not a threat...it's a promise.;)

Take a number bud... The line forms behind ME!

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Whitefield's article make some essential points about the differences between the QB position and CB's in the NFL.

Being the face of a billion dollar corporation and the most scrutinized athlete in the entire city is what the position is all about.

How a young QB adjusts to transition from the protected Mack Brown world of Austin sports to the new city's talk radio-ripping after a 3 INT 7 for 24 game that eliminates the playoff run, is the difference between a Donovan McNabb and a Ryan Leaf.

Cornerbacks don't "lose the lockerroom" QBs do so regularly.

Too many bpeople are in denial about the "extras" that go into the position, as Michael and Marcus Vick are now learning.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
theogt said:
Wow, thats a horrible article. It makes no substantive criticism of Young other than that he's chosen a poor management team. I think this quote sums up the "worth" of this article.

Criticize his skills. Criticize his mechanics. This sort of criticism is worthless.

Precisely... the "criticisms" levelled by this hack were borderline racist...

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Whitlock was just on Galloway and Company, unfortunately I caught the tailend of it so I can't recap much but he was really ragging on Michael Vick, accusing him of wanting to play video games instead preparing for the weekend game and thus will never be as successful as the Peyton Mannings of the world.

Stated it's not a "Black/White" issue but rather prepardness, using Marino as an example as he fell to the Dolphins.

I'm sure espn1033.com will have the clip up soon, Whitlock was really full of rage.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

And his freakin' TEAMMATES...

You want "leadership", go back and watch the 4th quarters of that Ohio State game, and the Rose Bowl against USC... the guy literally put his team up on his shoulders and carried them to victory...

Bullet22

Reaction score
No one is questioning his talent and leadership in college, but the pro's are a different animal..time will tell..

calico

Reaction score
That article is complete **** written by someone who has bashed the horns for years now. Don't read that garbage because most of it really does not have to do with anything.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Precisely... the "criticisms" levelled by this hack were borderline racist...

You're right!!!

I think Whitlock is Grand Wizard material.

He's got it out for all black people and QB's:laugh2: :laugh1: :laugh2:

What do clueless mean?