Twitter: Make no mistake, this was Dan Quinn's draft

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Just following what the tweet said Jerry letting him load up with his guys. If the scouts thought he was better than Molden I’m baffled. I’m baffled anyone in the org apparently thought it
Not so sure making an assumption based on a tweet making an assumption is the best strategy, but that's ok.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
As it should be......just me, but I honestly feel a lot better than I did after day two. No question in my mind we're already a better D than we were last year. Encouraging the see focus on run defense.

Quinn May have put his two cents in but Jerry forced some of these picks. Jerry should’ve moved some of those comp. picks to move up. Moehrig will haunt me until they invest in a free safety. JOK should’ve been selected also to replace Neal in Quinn system. We would’ve had two starters there. Joseph, would probably there in the third. Those 3 selections in the third will be busts.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think many aren't excited about the two defensive lineman, but they plus run defenders. Urban who they signed as a fa, is another very good run defender. They just drafted the best run defending linebacker in Parsons. Add in that Woods was our strong safety last yr and now we are adding both Wilson/Neal inside the box. Our run defense should be fixed.

I felt the bigger issue with last year’s run defense was coaching and scheme.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I felt the bigger issue with last year’s run defense was coaching and scheme.
Well, run defense I believe was either dead last or second to last. Scheme/coaching factored in, but this team has struggled against the run for awhile, not just last yr.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, run defense I believe was either dead last or second to last. Scheme/coaching factored in, but this team has struggled against the run for awhile, not just last yr.

I agree with that, Marinelli’s ‘Rushmen’ style was no help there either.

And he carried that over to Las Vegas, dropping all of their D-line rankings as well.

But Mike Nolan took that incompetence to another level.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree with that, Marinelli’s ‘Rushmen’ style was no help there either.

And he carried that over to Las Vegas, dropping all of their D-line rankings as well.

But Mike Nolan took that incompetence to another level.
Nolan screwed with their minds, as everyone looked lost. The run defense hasn't been the same since that Ram Playoff Loss. All they need to do is play better gap responsibility.

Praxit

Reaction score
Dan Quinn also stated most of the time NFL runs out of nickle on defense...over 70%...so that is 4 down lineman...that is how in reality we play more 4-3 than 3-4...i like Dan Quinn i think but its hard to forget it was his defense that could not hold to a 28-3 lead 3rd quarter of the superbowl and they lost...but then again one game good or bad can happen to anyone?
...yep, that's always going to be the tainted ointment in his career. Probably NFL's worst blunder ever.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nolan screwed with their minds, as everyone looked lost. The run defense hasn't been the same since that Ram Playoff Loss. All they need to do is play better gap responsibility.

fJaHQkr.gif

ESisback

Reaction score
THIS was the draft that could have reset the defense and the franchise. We had a top 10 pick in every round and had 2 extra 3rd rounders and an extra 4th rounder. We had the power to pick high and move all over the board to get who we wanted. On top of that, other than Horn and Surtain in the first round, the draft was falling to us just as we needed in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Everything was there for the taking.

And we blew it. Plain and simple, the FO blew it. A couple of simple trade ups and this draft goes from a C to an A+ and our defense gets transformed over night.
Sorry dude, but I’ll take Quinn’s judgement over yours.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
So he can build a stellar D like he had in Atlanta
Quinn did not have these pass rushers or linebackers in Atlanta. If you pay attention the Atlanta defense did not struggle until injuries to Neal,their fast linebacker and regression of Beasley. I think our defensive roster is more talented then then 2016-17 team that was pretty good. We will see.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Yep......run defense was top 10 all year and then the Rams game happen. The rest is history ........

What's interesting the heart and soul of the D that year (2018) were..........our Lbers. THIS is why I love the Parson pick.....

Strol

Reaction score
Any coach who needs certain guys to fit a system isn't a great coach. A great coach gets the best possible talent and molds the plan to suit the talent.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
THIS was the draft that could have reset the defense and the franchise. We had a top 10 pick in every round and had 2 extra 3rd rounders and an extra 4th rounder. We had the power to pick high and move all over the board to get who we wanted. On top of that, other than Horn and Surtain in the first round, the draft was falling to us just as we needed in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Everything was there for the taking.

And we blew it. Plain and simple, the FO blew it. A couple of simple trade ups and this draft goes from a C to an A+ and our defense gets transformed over night.
Didn't figure you as a "on paper" kinda fan......

The draft is nothing more than window shopping.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Dan Quinn also stated most of the time NFL runs out of nickle on defense...over 70%...so that is 4 down lineman...that is how in reality we play more 4-3 than 3-4...i like Dan Quinn i think but its hard to forget it was his defense that could not hold to a 28-3 lead 3rd quarter of the superbowl and they lost...but then again one game good or bad can happen to anyone?
i think who they were playing had a little something to do with that.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Someone discussed it in depth previously, but continuing to allow coordinators to dictate drafts is one of the biggest issues with this team. There is no pervasive culture or system in place. Every time they bring in someone new the Cowboys start all over again. You'll constantly be chasing and never get over the hump if that's how you do things

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see someone like Bellicheck trading up to get a guy like Barmore and thats verification enough for me. Also LV trading right in front of us to nab Moehrig. Tells me they knew the Cowboys were in love with him. Clues are all there.
Your assuming the Cowboys liked Barmore and Moehrig. And they may have. But they didn't love them and they didn't love them enough to make sure they got either one. If the Cowboys felt like they had to have either one they would have made a move. They didn't.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll be curious to see if Jerry allows Quinn to have carte blanche with the defensive decisions next year and those that follow. It's my hope that it comes to a stop or at least, slows down, in the future. The scouts should have their say, imho, to exact our best chances for draft success. I do believe that some of Quinn's decisions will pay off, while others (perhaps a couple) do not this year. Overall, the scouts should be prone to having better odds for success. I understand why the FO might feel obliged to have a new DC have his say for now but certainly not on an ongoing basis. Let the scouts do their jobs.

Last edited:

JonesBoys

Reaction score
As it should be......just me, but I honestly feel a lot better than I did after day two. No question in my mind we're already a better D than we were last year. Encouraging the see focus on run defense.

Agreed, Quinn has zero excuses for this defense not to be better next year. Will they be great? Probably not but they need a major improvement especially when you are given pretty much an entire draft to improve it.