Make that big name trade now

Blitzen

Reaction score
Why can't said player also help in 2025 and going forward?

Most big name acquisitions available would be nearing the end of their rookie deal and looking for a mega extension. The strategy the team uses should take that into account and what the move would accomplish this season. Why trade what could be a big draft asset for a guy that can only help the team get to 7-8 wins instead of 5-6 (only Jerry really cares about that difference)? At least wait to see what the team can accomplish in the next 3 games before making a move.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Seems to happen almost every year. Pull the trigger on a difference maker on D . LB, DT, DE. We make two more stops on D a game, and the team is instantly better.
I could care less what the players name is. I don’t care if he’s a rookie. Just put somebody capable out there.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Seems to happen almost every year. Pull the trigger on a difference maker on D . LB, DT, DE. We make two more stops on D a game, and the team is instantly better.
and give up what? Nobody wants our players, and why would we trade draft picks on a team that needs bodies? Last year we begged for this because it was supposed to be our year. It is clear that we are going nowhere so trading draft capital makes zero sense

Jarntt

Reaction score
Most big name acquisitions available would be nearing the end of their rookie deal and looking for a mega extension. The strategy the team uses should take that into account and what the move would accomplish this season. Why trade what could be a big draft asset for a guy that can only help the team get to 7-8 wins instead of 5-6 (only Jerry really cares about that difference)? At least wait to see what the team can accomplish in the next 3 games before making a move.
Because perhaps not everyone believes that is the case. If you believe that you should be calling on us to trade all of our upcoming free agents and veterans

Again, there is no guarantee if you trade for a guy it's just a half year thing so I'm not sure why you are assuming that without even knowing who may be available. You need to see who is available before you know the cost from a draft pick and salary cap perspective. It is often a veteran player like a Davante Adams that becomes available and who would in theory remain on the team that trades for him for a few years

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They would need to trade for about 3 "big name" players to make any difference in that doddering old mans defense.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Exactly!! Big name/trade. Yes.

Just not quite yet. You move Diggs for a first closer to the deadline when an actual contender loses a corner for the year. Start Carson and Bland moving ahead, and use Diggs’ salary on DL help.

Will that happen? About as much of a shot as Jerry selling the team.

The ‘draft only to improve’ gang needs to find a way to get some extra picks.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I thought this was gonna be another trade Parsons thread, which we should absolutley do....

Blitzen

Reaction score
Because perhaps not everyone believes that is the case. If you believe that you should be calling on us to trade all of our upcoming free agents and veterans

Again, there is no guarantee if you trade for a guy it's just a half year thing so I'm not sure why you are assuming that without even knowing who may be available. You need to see who is available before you know the cost from a draft pick and salary cap perspective. It is often a veteran player like a Davante Adams that becomes available and who would in theory remain on the team that trades for him for a few years

And Davante would be an exorbitant cost in both draft capital and salary cap implications. Not to mention the absurd cap hit the Raiders would take to move him.

Like I said, best move is to see where the team is at after these next three games to get a better sense of what they are this year. This absurd impatience is what happens to teams that know they aren’t very good and want to do something splashy to liven things up.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We couldnt afford Henry. How you think we can afford Etienne
I don’t think Jerry would trade for anyone. Just saying that is a good player to trade for. Jacksonville probably would not trade him anyway.

I think the Cowboys should keep there picks and use that 100 million in cap space for next season. This is an undercover rebuild anyway.

Jarntt

Reaction score
And Davante would be an exorbitant cost in both draft capital and salary cap implications. Not to mention the absurd cap hit the Raiders would take to move him.

Like I said, best move is to see where the team is at after these next three games to get a better sense of what they are this year. This absurd impatience is what happens to teams that know they aren’t very good and want to do something splashy to liven things up.
I'm using him as an example because he is a name being discussed as being available. But, I don't think Adams would cost an exorbitant amount in draft capital at all with his contract and at his age, but like any trade you have to give up picks or players to get something. This is true whether the trade is on draft day or before the trade deadline. Most importantly, no they wouldn't have an absurd cap hit to move them at all. The Raiders would have a HUGE salary cap savings if they traded him. That would be the whole reason for trading him

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Micah for Myles Garrett? Cleveland is sucking and they matbe in tank mode...

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I think this offense could really use a legit #2 WR. Shouldn’t break the bank in terms of draft capital. Finding that guy allows Cooks and Tolbert to be in the right spot to maximize their contributions as well.

RB would obviously be a quality pick up as well if we can find a guy with speed and wiggle.

When they resigned Dak— we have a 4 year window to contend. Making some moves to shore up weak spots should be considered, even if those players are 1-2 year rentals if they can help you contend.

I know people want to focus on the D and the issues there— but IMO— maximizing this offense is the best way to position this D to succeed. Control the clock, score points, rush the passer.