Makin’ a list… checkin’ it twice…

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score

Filed under:
— Will Parchman @ 1:12 am
I felt in a list-making kind of mood, and since there’s not really anything else to talk about, here are some (mostly Cowboys related) lists. If nothing else, they provide for some great debate. Feel free to chime in on anything you feel peaks your interest (or doesn’t, for that matter.)

Five Favorite Cowboys
1. Roger Staubach
2. Troy Aikman
3. Bob Lilly
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Jason Garrett (you heard me!)

Five Least Favorite Cowboys
1. Charles Haley
2. Charles Haley
3. Charles Haley
4. Charles Haley
5. Charles Haley

Five Favorite Cowboys Games of All-Time (or at least the ones I can think of right now)
1. 1992 NFC Championship Game vs. the 49ers – In Troy Aikman’s first ever playoff start against the Niners he leads the ‘boys to a 30-20 win, and the changing of the guard had officially begun.
2. 1974 Thanksgiving Game vs. the Commanders – Trailing 16-3, Staubach understudy Clint Longley comes in and leads the Cowboys to a dramatic 24-23 win, including a 50 yard pass to Drew Pearson with only 28 seconds left to seal the game.
3. 2004 Week 13 Game vs. the Seahawks – One of the most dramatic come-from-behind victories in Cowboys history, Julius Jones stakes his claim as the Cowboys running back of the future.
4. 1995 Super Bowl Game vs. the Steelers – The Cowboys win their 5th Super Bowl to put them ahead of… the Steelers.
5. 1991 Week 13 Game vs. the Commanders – The Cowboys snap the future Super Bowl champ’s 11-game win streak. So satisfying.

Cowboys’ Five Best Defensive Players
1. Bob Lilly
2. Mel Renfro
3. Lee Roy Jordan
4. Ed Jones
5. Chuck Howley

Cowboys’ Five Best Offensive Players

1. Emmitt Smith
2. Troy Aikman
3. Roger Staubach
4. Michael Irvin
5. Tony Dorsett

Five Most Overlooked Cowboys
1. Daryl Johnston
2. Dennis Thurman
3. Lance Rentzel
4. Everson Walls
5. Tony Hill

Favorite Cowboys Moments
1. Emmitt becoming the #1 all-time running back in yardage gained. I’ll admit, when I saw Emmitt crying and embracing Moose on the sidelines, I got teary-eyed.
2. Tom Landry is given a place upon the Ring of Honor in 1993. That whole ceremony made me extremely proud to be a Cowboys fan.
3. 1995 Super Bowl victory. Three in four years: need I say more?
4. The Dallas/Ft. Worth Turnpike being renamed the ‘Tom Landry Highway’ in 2001.
5. “Bullet” Bob Hayes is inducted into the Cowboys Ring of Honor.

Now onto the general…

Five Biggest Meltdowns in Sports
1. Lee Elia – In 1983, then-Cubs manager Lee Elia released a string of, well, ‘unfortunate’ terms onto the press after receiving criticism from them for his club’s 5-14 start. You can find the audio from his press conference. (WARNING: it contains very, very harsh language)
2. Jim Rome vs. Jim Everett – Probably the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. See the video here
3. Jim Mora“PLAYOFFS??”
4. Jean Van de Velde – 1999 British Open – I still don’t know how he let that one go.
5. Allen Iverson – We’re talkin’ about practice!”

Favorite (Non-Cowboys) Sports Moments

1. Pete Sampras defeats Alex Corretja in 5 sets at 1996 US Open – Undoubtedly the most courageous performance by any athlete I’ve ever witnessed, Sampras overcame dehydration and a bug to defeat Corretja in a 5-set heart-attack of a match.
2. 1998 NBA Championship, Game 6, Bulls vs. Jazz – Jordan gives Russell a little nudge and drains the game-winner. Game over. Series over. Career over (sorta).
3. “Havlicek Stole The ball!” – I’m not a Celtics fan, but watching the last minute of that game still gives me chills.
4. 1980 Miracle on Ice
5. 1998 NFC Wildcard Game – 49ers vs. Packers – I can still remember how hard my heart was pounding in the waning moments of this game, which is pretty remarkable, seeing how much I hate both of those teams. Steve Young to Terrell Owens with 3 seconds left to win the game… it doesn’t get much better than that. This was before Owens emerged as the loud mouthed idiot he is, so I could stand up and cheer and not hate myself.

Favorite NFL players (who aren’t Cowboys)
1. Steve McNair
2. Ladainian Tomlinson
3. Daunte Hall
4. David Carr
5. Matt Birk

Least liked NFL players (who aren’t Charles Haley)
1. Terrell Owens
2. Ray Lewis
3. Chris Simms
4. Javon Walker
5. Corey Dillon
(this one was a lot easier to make than my favorites… that can’t be a good sign)

Greatest Sports Dynasties Ever
1. Boston Celtics (1957-1969)
2. Montreal Canadiens (1955-1979… 15 titles in 24 years… remarkable)
3. New York Yankees (pick a time period)
4. Pittsburgh Steelers (1970’s)
5. New England Patriots

I think by now everybody has seen ‘The Sports List’ on Fox Sports by now. If you haven’t I recommend watching… it’s interesting but rather bland as far as their commentary is concerned. They bring in a lot of folks who I’m rather sure are reading from cue-cards written for them… I mean, Hal Sparks? Come on. But anyway, they had their ‘10 Greatest NFL Blunders’ or something like that, and Don Bebe’s ball-punch from Leon Lett’s clutches in Super Bowl 27 actually made #1. I understand that it was an embarassing play, but the Cowboys had the game in hand and in the end it’s more comedic than it is a ‘blunder.’ Just further proves that some people just love to hate the Dallas Cowboys.

mperfection

Reaction score
How in the world can anyone who calls himself a "true" Cowboys fan not like Charles Haley? In my opinion (and this opinion can be greatly substantiated by statistical results from the '92 defense), Charles Haley was the final piece of the Super Bowl puzzle in 1992. No Charles Haley in '92 - no Super Bowl in January '93. Period!

Org1

Reaction score
1. Charles Haley
2. Charles Haley
3. Charles Haley
4. Charles Haley
5. Charles Haley

why the strong dislike for Charles Haley?

if you don't mind...

parchy

Reaction score
Org1 said:
1. Charles Haley
2. Charles Haley
3. Charles Haley
4. Charles Haley
5. Charles Haley

why the strong dislike for Charles Haley?

if you don't mind...

Probably because he was a jackass... I don't think anybody is denying his talent, but just because he's good doesn't mean anybody should automatically like him... Terrell Owens is maybe the best WR in the game, but he's still a jackass

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
What ever happened to Rome for taunting Everett like that? Did the NFLPA or NFL come in and make a comment to the situation?

Can't believe they would allow a player to get personally skewered on TV over his performance with name calling and insults.

Not to mention that the WTA asking Rome to stop using one of their HOF player's name to denigrate another individual.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
davidyee said:
What ever happened to Rome for taunting Everett like that? Did the NFLPA or NFL come in and make a comment to the situation?

Can't believe they would allow a player to get personally skewered on TV over his performance with name calling and insults.

Not to mention that the WTA asking Rome to stop using one of their HOF player's name to denigrate another individual.
Rome lost his original show on ESPN2 over that and went back to radio. He's now back on ESPN with a new show.

He refers to that as "The Incident" nad occasionally invites Jim Everett back on his radio show so he can apologize. Everett has never taken his invitation.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
parchy said:
Probably because he was a jackass... I don't think anybody is denying his talent, but just because he's good doesn't mean anybody should automatically like him... Terrell Owens is maybe the best WR in the game, but he's still a jackass

Maybe, but he was the jackass that proved to be the final piece of our championship puzzle.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
1. 1992 NFC Championship Game vs. the 49ers – In Troy Aikman’s first ever playoff start against the Niners he leads the ‘boys to a 30-20 win, and the changing of the guard had officially begun.

Simply the greatest football game I've ever watched. Everyone said SF would destroy us, that we had no chance, and we pulled one of the biggest title game upsets ever and it was over the hated 49ers. I was 7 at the time and I still remember it better than any game I've ever seen. :bow:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Five Favorite Cowboys
1. Roger Staubach
2. Michael Irvin
3. Darren Woodson
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Charlie Waters

1. Troy/Darren Hambrick

Five Favorite Cowboys Games of All-Time (or at least the ones I can think of right now)
1. SB win in 1992
2. Staubach Hail Mary game.
3. Tony Dorsett 99 yard run game.
4. SB win in '93
5. SB win in '95

1. Bob Lilly
2. Cliff Harris
3. Lee Roy Jordan
4. Harvey Martin
5. Deion Sanders

1. Roger Staubach
2. Emmitt Smith
3. Michael Irvin
4. Tony Dorsett
5. Troy Aikman

1. Daryl Johnston
2. Dennis Thurman
3. Lance Rentzel
4. Everson Walls
5. Tony Hill

Favorite Cowboys Moments
1. Drafting Troy Aikman.
2. Beating SF in San Fran for NFC Championship.
3. Emmitt running ramshod over Giants with dislocated shoulder.
4. Theisman getting hit by LT: loosely Cowboys related:)
5. Emmitt passing Sweetness.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:

Filed under:
— Will Parchman @ 1:12 am
I felt in a list-making kind of mood, and since there’s not really anything else to talk about, here are some (mostly Cowboys related) lists. If nothing else, they provide for some great debate. Feel free to chime in on anything you feel peaks your interest (or doesn’t, for that matter.)

Five Favorite Cowboys
1. Roger Staubach
2. Troy Aikman
3. Bob Lilly
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Jason Garrett (you heard me!)

1. Charles Haley
2. Charles Haley
3. Charles Haley
4. Charles Haley
5. Charles Haley

2. 1974 Thanksgiving Game vs. the Commanders – Trailing 16-3, Staubach understudy Clint Longley comes in and leads the Cowboys to a dramatic 24-23 win, including a 50 yard pass to Drew Pearson with only 28 seconds left to seal the game.
3. 2004 Week 13 Game vs. the Seahawks – One of the most dramatic come-from-behind victories in Cowboys history, Julius Jones stakes his claim as the Cowboys running back of the future.
4. 1995 Super Bowl Game vs. the Steelers – The Cowboys win their 5th Super Bowl to put them ahead of… the Steelers.
5. 1991 Week 13 Game vs. the Commanders – The Cowboys snap the future Super Bowl champ’s 11-game win streak. So satisfying.

1. Bob Lilly
2. Mel Renfro
3. Lee Roy Jordan
4. Ed Jones
5. Chuck Howley

1. Emmitt Smith
2. Troy Aikman
3. Roger Staubach
4. Michael Irvin
5. Tony Dorsett

1. Daryl Johnston
2. Dennis Thurman
3. Lance Rentzel
4. Everson Walls
5. Tony Hill

Favorite Cowboys Moments
1. Emmitt becoming the #1 all-time running back in yardage gained. I’ll admit, when I saw Emmitt crying and embracing Moose on the sidelines, I got teary-eyed.
2. Tom Landry is given a place upon the Ring of Honor in 1993. That whole ceremony made me extremely proud to be a Cowboys fan.
3. 1995 Super Bowl victory. Three in four years: need I say more?
4. The Dallas/Ft. Worth Turnpike being renamed the ‘Tom Landry Highway’ in 2001.
5. “Bullet” Bob Hayes is inducted into the Cowboys Ring of Honor.

Now onto the general…

Five Biggest Meltdowns in Sports
1. Lee Elia – In 1983, then-Cubs manager Lee Elia released a string of, well, ‘unfortunate’ terms onto the press after receiving criticism from them for his club’s 5-14 start. You can find the audio from his press conference. (WARNING: it contains very, very harsh language)
2. Jim Rome vs. Jim Everett – Probably the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. See the video here
3. Jim Mora“PLAYOFFS??”
4. Jean Van de Velde – 1999 British Open – I still don’t know how he let that one go.
5. Allen Iverson – We’re talkin’ about practice!”

Favorite (Non-Cowboys) Sports Moments

1. Pete Sampras defeats Alex Corretja in 5 sets at 1996 US Open – Undoubtedly the most courageous performance by any athlete I’ve ever witnessed, Sampras overcame dehydration and a bug to defeat Corretja in a 5-set heart-attack of a match.
2. 1998 NBA Championship, Game 6, Bulls vs. Jazz – Jordan gives Russell a little nudge and drains the game-winner. Game over. Series over. Career over (sorta).
3. “Havlicek Stole The ball!” – I’m not a Celtics fan, but watching the last minute of that game still gives me chills.
4. 1980 Miracle on Ice
5. 1998 NFC Wildcard Game – 49ers vs. Packers – I can still remember how hard my heart was pounding in the waning moments of this game, which is pretty remarkable, seeing how much I hate both of those teams. Steve Young to Terrell Owens with 3 seconds left to win the game… it doesn’t get much better than that. This was before Owens emerged as the loud mouthed idiot he is, so I could stand up and cheer and not hate myself.

Favorite NFL players (who aren’t Cowboys)
1. Steve McNair
2. Ladainian Tomlinson
3. Daunte Hall
4. David Carr
5. Matt Birk

Least liked NFL players (who aren’t Charles Haley)
1. Terrell Owens
2. Ray Lewis
3. Chris Simms
4. Javon Walker
5. Corey Dillon
(this one was a lot easier to make than my favorites… that can’t be a good sign)

Greatest Sports Dynasties Ever
1. Boston Celtics (1957-1969)
2. Montreal Canadiens (1955-1979… 15 titles in 24 years… remarkable)
3. New York Yankees (pick a time period)
4. Pittsburgh Steelers (1970’s)
5. New England Patriots

I think by now everybody has seen ‘The Sports List’ on Fox Sports by now. If you haven’t I recommend watching… it’s interesting but rather bland as far as their commentary is concerned. They bring in a lot of folks who I’m rather sure are reading from cue-cards written for them… I mean, Hal Sparks? Come on. But anyway, they had their ‘10 Greatest NFL Blunders’ or something like that, and Don Bebe’s ball-punch from Leon Lett’s clutches in Super Bowl 27 actually made #1. I understand that it was an embarassing play, but the Cowboys had the game in hand and in the end it’s more comedic than it is a ‘blunder.’ Just further proves that some people just love to hate the Dallas Cowboys.

Good post.

Favorite Cowboys:

1. Roger Staubach
2. Bob Lilly
3. Tony Dorsett
4. Drew Pearson
5. Tony Hill
6. Troy Aikman

Least-favorite Cowboys:

1. Ken Norton Jr.
2. Jeff Rohrer
3. Phil Pozderac
4. Troy Hambrick
5. Darren Hambrick
6. Dwayne Goodrich

Favorite non-Cowboy NFL players:

1. Wes Welker, Dolphins
2. Zach Thomas, Dolphins
3. LaDanian Tomlinson, Chargers
4. Junior Seau, Dolphins
5. Isaac Bruce, Rams
6. Shaun Alexander, Seahawks

Least-favorite all-time NFL people:

1. Buddy Ryan
2. George Allen
3. Diron Talbert
4. Jack Youngblood
5. Andre Watters
6. Terrell Owens

Cowboys' 4X100 relay team:

1. Deion Sanders
2. Randall Williams
3. Herschel Walker
4. Bob Hayes (anchor)
Alternate: Doug Donley

Cowboys' basketball team:

G: Drew Pearson
G: Everson Walls
F: Michael Irvin
F: Billy Joe Dupree
C: Ed Jones

(Note: I've seen all these guys play basketball and they're very good. Walls has just about the best hand-eye coordination and the quickest hands I've seen. Pearson is deadly from 3-point range).

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Rome lost his original show on ESPN2 over that and went back to radio. He's now back on ESPN with a new show.

He refers to that as "The Incident" nad occasionally invites Jim Everett back on his radio show so he can apologize. Everett has never taken his invitation.

...did Rome ever consider apologizing to Chris Evert at all? There's no doubt what the insinuation was to knowledgeable sports fans. For one of the greatest female players to ever take the tennis racket I would expect him to also issue her an apology for the low handed remark.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Chief said:
Favorite non-Cowboy NFL players:

1. Wes Welker, Dolphins
2. Zach Thomas, Dolphins
3. LaDanian Tomlinson, Chargers
4. Junior Seau, Dolphins
5. Isaac Bruce, Rams
6. Shaun Alexander, Seahawks

Wreck'em Tech :rolleyes:

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
i, too, don't get the resentment towards haley. drugs? nope. sex offender? nada. wife beater? nuh-uh. vehicular manslaughter? noooop. concealed weapons charges? negatory. held out under existing contract? naaah. jaywalking? not that i'm aware of. spitting on sidewalk? ....

so what was his crime?

when it came down to game day - who was more prepared than haley? he was "the straw that stirred the drink" on defense. almost a decade later we have yet to see anybody come close to replacing him in dallas.