Malcolm Kelly on Michael Irvin Show - 4/14/08

FCBarca

Reaction score
Just goes to show you the power of media spin...You get an audience to do damage control and it can spell dollars

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
BHendri5;2035697 said:
He was not whining

Crying about now making all the money in the world before he even steps one foot on the NFL field because then he can't buy his dad a new corvette and blaming it all on Oklahoma as if they have no clue on how to run a Pro Day is not whining?

Someone needs to relay to him that the audience listening to him will not make over a million dollars this season to play a game.

He didn't say his family was one check away from living on the streets. He just wants to get a big contract and then start actling like a big man and buying up everything in sight.

He already has his first contract spent and he hasn't even earned it yet. Who is advising this kid financially? Sounds like people are in his head already about where all the money will be distributed.

These money issues are the exact reason he kept himself out of the Fiesta Bowl.

I can see wanting to help your family, but come on now.

Who's fault will it be that his dad can't get a new vette after he runs another 4.68 on Wednesday?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2035722 said:
Who's fault will it be that his dad can't get a new vette after he runs another 4.68 on Wednesday?

nobody's...because when he runs that slow again nobody will know about it because scouts werent invited...I'm sure we'll hear about all sorts of great athletic feats from his people

David

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2035747 said:
nobody's...because when he runs that slow again nobody will know about it because scouts werent invited...I'm sure we'll hear about all sorts of great athletic feats from his people

David

Here's the funny thing. He somehow got some scouts to come down there on Wednesday.

I know what you were referring to though. That second to last report had him running and then sending out video tapes. But that plan got scrapped and now he is going to run at Oklahoma on the special turf he wanted to run on at that disastrous Pro Day he had last week. People are jumping in and out of hoops for this brat.

I hope he runs a 4.7+ now.

Jay

Reaction score
Wouldn't you be upset if your future and a lot of money were on the line, and the school that you had busted your balls for pulled something like this on you? There was a post about how the field he ran on is considerably slower than what normal players ran on/what he'd be running on in the NFL.

So he prepares for months rehabbing from an injury, is pumped up to run for his pro day and show the scouts what he's made of, and they change everything on him without letting him know? He didn't even have the right kind of shoes to run on that track.

Sure, he does come off as whiney, but hell.. I'd be whining too. There's no excuse at all for what Oklahoma pulled, none.

Little Jr

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2035722 said:
Crying about now making all the money in the world before he even steps one foot on the NFL field because then he can't buy his dad a new corvette and blaming it all on Oklahoma as if they have no clue on how to run a Pro Day is not whining?

They all make a lot of money before even stepping one foot on the field. You make it sound like he said that he cant buy his dad a Vet now becasue of Oklahoma. They asked him at the end what he was going to do with the money and he said buy his dad a vet. Not one time did he say he cant do it now.

dcfanatic;2035722 said:
Someone needs to relay to him that the audience listening to him will not make over a million dollars this season to play a game.

I'm one of those people. It is a game but it's also a business and his job.

dcfanatic;2035722 said:
He didn't say his family was one check away from living on the streets. He just wants to get a big contract and then start actling like a big man and buying up everything in sight.

Buying everthing up? His mom and dad a new car and a house. Take care of his brothers and sisters. Thats not buying everything up. His dad makes a little less than I do and it's not a bad living. But I dont have a wife who is disabled and has medical bills. Just becasue people arent one check away from being on the streets doesnt mean they arent struggling. His dad also raised 5 kids and I'm sure he hasnt made 65,000 all that time. I'm sure there really wasnt much money to save all those years. If I won the LOTO tomorrow I would take care of my family and I would think most people would.

dcfanatic;2035722 said:
He already has his first contract spent and he hasn't even earned it yet. Who is advising this kid financially? Sounds like people are in his head already about where all the money will be distributed.

He has his 1st contract spent already? How do you figure? He hasnt bought anything yet. I see all the time where kids going into professional sports actually spends alot of the contract before they even get paid or even know where they are going in the draft. Again, no one coming into the NFL has earned their contracts.

dcfanatic;2035722 said:
These money issues are the exact reason he kept himself out of the Fiesta Bowl.

This I have not info. on. I'm sure I've heard about it but just forgot.

dcfanatic;2035722 said:
I can see wanting to help your family, but come on now.

I would think everyone would take care of their family. I dont see buying new vehicles and a new home for his parents and helping his brothers and sisters out is overspending.

dcfanatic;2035722 said:

It will be his. Again, he never stated that he cant get his dad the vet now becasue of his pro day.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Little Jr;2035865 said:
They all make a lot of money before even stepping one foot on the field. You make it sound like he said that he cant buy his dad a Vet now becasue of Oklahoma. They asked him at the end what he was going to do with the money and he said buy his dad a vet. Not one time did he say he cant do it now.

I'm one of those people. It is a game but it's also a business and his job.

Buying everthing up? His mom and dad a new car and a house. Take care of his brothers and sisters. Thats not buying everything up. His dad makes a little less than I do and it's not a bad living. But I dont have a wife who is disabled and has medical bills. Just becasue people arent one check away from being on the streets doesnt mean they arent struggling. His dad also raised 5 kids and I'm sure he hasnt made 65,000 all that time. I'm sure there really wasnt much money to save all those years. If I won the LOTO tomorrow I would take care of my family and I would think most people would.

He has his 1st contract spent already? How do you figure? He hasnt bought anything yet. I see all the time where kids going into professional sports actually spends alot of the contract before they even get paid or even know where they are going in the draft. Again, no one coming into the NFL has earned their contracts.

This I have not info. on. I'm sure I've heard about it but just forgot.

I would think everyone would take care of their family. I dont see buying new vehicles and a new home for his parents and helping his brothers and sisters out is overspending.

It will be his. Again, he never stated that he cant get his dad the vet now becasue of his pro day.

:hammer: Its not as if he's broken any laws is it? He said he was wrong for the way he reacted. I think its admirable of him to want to help his parents/family out for all the support they have given him. The kids a big Cowboys fan. I'd have no problem if VR decided to draft him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Little Jr a lot of people have him labeled as something he is not after his interview the other day.

Hes a good guy and people will figure it out eventually.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;2035968 said:
Little Jr a lot of people have him labeled as something he is not after his interview the other day.

I agree. It is amazing how many will bend over backwards for Pacman but continue to slam Kelly.

Xy_Oldone

Reaction score
Jay;2035832 said:
Wouldn't you be upset if your future and a lot of money were on the line, and the school that you had busted your balls for pulled something like this on you? There was a post about how the field he ran on is considerably slower than what normal players ran on/what he'd be running on in the NFL.

So he prepares for months rehabbing from an injury, is pumped up to run for his pro day and show the scouts what he's made of, and they change everything on him without letting him know? He didn't even have the right kind of shoes to run on that track.

Sure, he does come off as whiney, but hell.. I'd be whining too. There's no excuse at all for what Oklahoma pulled, none.

From what I heard on the nfl network Oklahoma did not change where he was running but the scouts did. So putting blame on them was silly. Who is he going to blame when he does not run well in the NFL. Coaches? His Teamates? The Team?

Time to grow up in my opinion.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2035971 said:
I agree. It is amazing how many will bend over backwards for Pacman but continue to slam Kelly.

I think its because all of Pacmans hype has been built with off the field issues.

He did some nice things in his 2nd season but none of it validates the hype he is getting.

So if you want Pacman you have to talk about what has made him famous in the NFL and that is his off the field issues.

So then people try to defend him and then you have what we have now. A bunch of Pacman homers.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;2035968 said:

I don't think he's a bad guy. I think his reaction to his poor performance was pretty bad. Throwing everybody under the bus for his failure was pretty bad for him. His handlers are doing what I think they should've done and that's get him out apologizing and humbling himself to anybody who would listen.

Hopefully, he'll have a better workout tomorrow.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
That interview would be about 12 seconds long if you took out all the "you know" and "you know what I sayin'".

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I didn't think he sounded plausible at all.

He sounds like he feels a huge contract is owed to him.

Amazing man

Reaction score
It isn't what Kelly sez. It is all about what he does and can do. Without being technical, the quad is an important muscle involved in running (which should be the issue at hand) Apparently Kelly's strained quad may be due to an error in his training (or there wouldn't have been a strain in the first place) that certainly must be corrected at a professional level. Improper over training of a quad can actually slow the speed of a runner. IMO, a different and better training technique can reduce Kelly's 40 yard speed by at least the tenth of a second or so. Which appears to be the bone (muscle) of contention.