Malcom Kelly will still be good IMO

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I predicted before any rankings ever came out that he would be the #1 WR in this class.

I think even NFL Scouts agreed with me until today.

Personally I wouldn't use a 1st round pick on him NOW but I still believe he is going to be a very good pro receiver.

I thought the same thing about Anquan Boldin when he left FSU and I was just as shocked with his 40 time as I am with Kellys.

When you watch Kelly play it just looks like the guy was born to play receiver. He can do just about anything you want on the football field and he produced nicely with crap @ QB.

Even Reggie Smith's 40 time is Mind boggling.

Who ever is training these guys at Oklahoma needs to get a clue because those 2 should be able to wake up in the morning and run a 4.5

Malcom Kelly is definetely a risk now but a risk I would take in the 2nd round if I am Dallas.

If he ends up not being a good pro receiver feel free to remind me of this prediction.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;2029745 said:
I predicted before any rankings ever came out that he would be the #1 WR in this class.

I think even NFL Scouts agreed with me until today.

Personally I wouldn't use a 1st round pick on him NOW but I still believe he is going to be a very good pro receiver.

I thought the same thing about Anquan Boldin when he left FSU and I was just as shocked with his 40 time as I am with Kellys.

When you watch Kelly play it just looks like the guy was born to play receiver. He can do just about anything you want on the football field and he produced nicely with crap @ QB.

Even Reggie Smith's 40 time is Mind boggling.

Who ever is training these guys at Oklahoma needs to get a clue because those 2 should be able to wake up in the morning and run a 4.5

Malcom Kelly is definetely a risk now but a risk I would take in the 2nd round if I am Dallas.

If he ends up not being a good pro receiver feel free to remind me of this prediction.

I agree. I think some of this 40 talk is a bit over rated. Hell Larry Fitzgerald; 1st Round, 2004; 4.63 and Anquan Boldin; 2nd Round, 2003; 4.72 and yet I seen many post over the last couple of years of people wanting these 2 players around here. No doubt Kelly number could cause him to drop but I still think he will be a good player at the next level

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Did you like Mike Williams? If Kelly gets back down to wr size and gets some adequate speed in the process he could turn out to be a pretty good wr. But that is all it is, an if.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2029750 said:
Did you like Mike Williams? If Kelly gets back down to wr size and gets some adequate speed in the process he could turn out to be a pretty good wr. But that is all it is, an if.

Kelly is a much more fluid receiver than Mike Williams.

Mike Williams dominated with his Power, Great hands, and just absolute manchild abilities.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
If it's true he showed up weighing 232 lbs, that tells me all I need to know about him and his dedication

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;2029762 said:
If it's true he showed up weighing 232 lbs, that tells me all I need to know about him and his dedication

232 with 4% body fat. Owens is likely in that same range.

Evidently the guy just got some horrible advice on how to prepare for the draft or he just couldnt speed train because of his leg.

superpunk

Reaction score
I think people would be pretty pissed off if we drafted ANOTHER tight end in the second round.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
CATCH17;2029769 said:
232 with 4% body fat. Owens is likely in that same range.

Evidently the guy just got some horrible advice on how to prepare for the draft or he just couldnt speed train because of his leg.

where did you hear 4% body fat. His playing weight through the season was like 220, so I doubt he'd add 12 lbs of muscle in a few months unless he was using hgh or something like that

kevwun

Reaction score
Kelley's has injury concerns. He's not a guy like Fitzgerald or Boldin who excel despite ideal speed. He's supposed to be able to run better than this, but can't because of bad knees.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
speedkilz88;2029750 said:

But Mike Williams and Malcom Kelly are 2 different people. To compare what 1 will do vs another is non-sense. I agree Kelly running a bad time will hurt him in the draft but to say he is just another Mike Williams is crazy.

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2029749 said:
I agree. I think some of this 40 talk is a bit over rated. Hell Larry Fitzgerald; 1st Round, 2004; 4.63 and Anquan Boldin; 2nd Round, 2003; 4.72 and yet I seen many post over the last couple of years of people wanting these 2 players around here. No doubt Kelly number could cause him to drop but I still think he will be a good player at the next level
I haven't looked into it myself, but if these 40 times are accurate, these two players are a better example of what I was trying to convey in a different thread. I used Dwayne Bowe instead, but apparently he ran a better 40 time than I thought.

Anyway, point being, 40 times are only one indicator of success, but not necessarily the biggest or best indicator.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Dodger;2029891 said:
I haven't looked into it myself, but if these 40 times are accurate, these two players are a better example of what I was trying to convey in a different thread. I used Dwayne Bowe instead, but apparently he ran a better 40 time than I thought.

Anyway, point being, 40 times are only one indicator of success, but not necessarily the biggest or best indicator.

I think they have their place in the evaluation in putting together a draft strategy and thus a bad outing could drop a player but I do think the main body of work that scouts look at is what a player has done on the field in games. As I said you could have a guy go out and run a 4.2 but that does not make him a player it just means he has speed.

Look at Larry Fitzgerald; 1st Round, 2004; 4.63 Anquan Boldin; 2nd Round, 2003; 4.72 I don't care what there 40's are they are damn good players that any team would want because in the end football has nothing to do with 40 times.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Dodger;2029891 said:

Why would anyone compare Kelly to Fitzgerald?

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2029896 said:
I don't care what there 40's are they are damn good players that any team would want because in the end football has nothing to do with 40 times.
Not to hijack the thread, but this is the problem I have with the whole Chris Johnson/Jamaal Charles/(Insert great 40 time player here) debate I've been reading. Some people want these guys simply because they have a blazing 40 time. And yeah, they've got rocket assisted legs or something, but to me the MUCH more important questions are can they break tackles? Can they run effectively inside? Do they go down on first contact? Do they have good vision and insticts?

I'm not saying that they do or don't. I'm simply saying that these are far better indicators of success than their blazing speed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2029902 said:
Why would anyone compare Kelly to Fitzgerald?

Agreed he is not Fitzgerald and I think Fitzgerald ran a 4.3 anyways if I remember correct.

Fitzgerald, to me, is like a big Terry Glenn.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;2029908 said:
Agreed he is not Fitzgerald and I think Fitzgerald ran a 4.3 anyways if I remember correct.

Fitzgerald, to me, is like a big Terry Glenn.

I looked it up he ran a 4.63 not much faster than Kelly.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2029924 said:
I looked it up he ran a 4.63 not much faster than Kelly.

Dang thats crazy then. I can't believe he was still a top 5 pick because you almost have to be perfect.

Fitz is the man though for sure.

kevwun

Reaction score
Fitzgerald's receiving skills are off the charts. If he had blazing speed, it wouldn't be fair.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kevwun;2029934 said:
Fitzgerald's receiving skills are off the charts. If he had blazing speed, it wouldn't be fair.

And that is what made him such a high pick. I don't think Kelly is Fitzgerald but I do think Kelly has real talent and will be a good player in the NFL for someone.