Management two major screw ups haunting us now.....

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
So Romo must be an anomaly too then? And Russel Wilson in the 3rd round?

The point is that if you dont try, you dont find. Its been pretty clear that the Cowboys arent trying very hard. We have seen where they pass on a QB on their board that is the BPA on their board. That is blatant avoidance behavior.

What did I say.

Most of the quality QB's in this league were legit first rounders or UDFA's or 7th rounders that went to a small school.

Romo was a UDFA that went to Eastern Illinois. I think that meets what I said.

Here's a look at what I believe are the 'decent' or better QB's in the league.

Tannehill - 1st rounder
Brady - 6th rounder
Roethlisberger - 1st rounder
Flacco - 1st rounder
Dalton - 2nd rounder
Luck - 1st rounder
Rivers - 1st rounder
Peyton - 1st rounder
A. Smith - 1st rounder
Romo - UDFA
Eli - 1st rounder
Bridgewater - 1st rounder
Rodgers - 1st rounder
Stafford - 1st rounder
Brees - 1st rounder
Newton - 1st rounder
Ryan - 1st rounder
Wilson - 3rd rounder
Kaepernick - 2nd rounder
Foles - 2nd rounder
Palmer - 1st rounder

Out of those 22 QB's, 17 of those players met the criteria I mentioned. And the jury is still out on Kaepernick and Foles (I still think the jury is out on Bridgewater). But, the overwhelming majority of the players on the list met my criteria which includes Romo.

YR

CCBoy

Reaction score
Really, they needed the talent more? So Romo is out for 10 weeks, where is the talent?

No position is guaranteed success. That point is moot.

This roster has become strong..................accept at the QB position. Romo could go down any time. Oh wait, he just did. Especially with the back problems that Romo has had. Its seem rather dumb for the Cowboy to not be developing and drafting young QB's.

Do some spell check and learn how a football team is really managed.

So, Lord no, using your logic, since the following players went down:

Dez - a first round talent should have been drafted
Leary - a first round talent should have been drafted
Hardy - the team needed another top defensive end
Scandrick - the team should have drafted another top corner, besides Jones
McClain - the team should have taken a top round MLB

C'mon, a page of why nots, when your only real beef is that you can nit pick the Cowboys' reason for going with Weeden...they wanted him, instead of a lot of unknowns. And from last night's performance, he was 7 for 7 with no interceptions and a touchdown toss.

CCBoy

Reaction score
LOL..............I exercise my right to make you disappear. LOL

Right...flight, you don't make me disappear, for you not chosing to discuss. You merely stick the provebial head in the sand. Now disappear for good...or get off your posterior and start to really discuss beyond a cherry picked beef.

Tommy

Reaction score
As you point out, going back is circumstantial and hind site. I am also not in the scouting department. All I can tell you is that if I was running the team I would treat the QB position like any other BPA and even make it more or a priority. Even if I had a great young QB, I would always be looking for more.

Love the way NE drafts, develops, trades QB's.

Translation: I have no idea who I would have drafted as Romo's replacement. I just enjoy complaining.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What did I say.
Most of the quality QB's in this league were legit first rounders or UDFA's or 7th rounders that went to a small school.

Romo was a UDFA that went to Eastern Illinois. I think that meets what I said.

Here's a look at what I believe are the 'decent' or better QB's in the league.

Tannehill - 1st rounder
Brady - 6th rounder
Roethlisberger - 1st rounder
Flacco - 1st rounder
Dalton - 2nd rounder
Luck - 1st rounder
Rivers - 1st rounder
Peyton - 1st rounder
A. Smith - 1st rounder
Romo - UDFA
Eli - 1st rounder
Bridgewater - 1st rounder
Rodgers - 1st rounder
Stafford - 1st rounder
Brees - 1st rounder
Newton - 1st rounder
Ryan - 1st rounder
Wilson - 3rd rounder
Kaepernick - 2nd rounder
Foles - 2nd rounder
Palmer - 1st rounder

Out of those 22 QB's, 17 of those players met the criteria I mentioned. And the jury is still out on Kaepernick and Foles (I still think the jury is out on Bridgewater). But, the overwhelming majority of the players on the list met my criteria which includes Romo.

YR

Ok, so what is your point? and FYI................some of those guy on there I would never want as my QB. So the list should actually be smaller.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Ok, so what is your point? and FYI................some of those guy on there I would never want as my QB. So the list should actually be smaller.

My point is what I said in my original post.

If you're going to find a legitimate QB to take over for Romo, you better look in the first round because almost all of the quality starters in the league are first round picks or they were UDFA's from small schools. You just don't see many quality starters that were in rounds 2 thru 6.

And it's very difficult to spend a first round pick on a QB while trying to fill holes to win a Super Bowl.

I don't necessarily disagree with you in that I think we should look for Romo's eventual replacement and do it the right way...get a first round pick. But, it's not something that is completely easy to do. Plus, the last 2 draft classes of QB's have not been very good.

YR

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Translation: I have no idea who I would have drafted as Romo's replacement. I just enjoy complaining.

Airbag is a great name for you. LOL

Are you trying to imply that there was no QB's to draft the last 6 or 7 years? Ill just name one for you........Russel Wilson. And that easily could have been had in the 3rd round. That kid Tyrod Taylor looks pretty good in Buffalo right now.

If you dont know of any, its not my job to educate you. Just because you dont have a clue or think its a waste of time to draft QB's thats not my problem.

Or maybe you feel like your going to enjoy watching Weeden playing QB for us. Or maybe you love Weeden, I dont know.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My point is what I said in my original post.

If you're going to find a legitimate QB to take over for Romo, you better look in the first round because almost all of the quality starters in the league are first round picks or they were UDFA's from small schools. You just don't see many quality starters that were in rounds 2 thru 6.

And it's very difficult to spend a first round pick on a QB while trying to fill holes to win a Super Bowl.

I don't necessarily disagree with you in that I think we should look for Romo's eventual replacement and do it the right way...get a first round pick. But, it's not something that is completely easy to do. Plus, the last 2 draft classes of QB's have not been very good.

YR

Definitely not easy to do and typically have to use a high pick...........agreed. The key in my opinion, it so always be looking and always be developing. That is how you find the QB's that arent in the first round. NE does a great job of it. And Garrappo was looking pretty good this preseason. Gotta treat it like any other position. BPA and take him.

But it looks like Jerry subscribes to that theory. When Romo is completely toast, he will pick guy high and roll the dice. Most likely in desperation. Or Weeden will be our QB for 6 years. LOL

silver

Reaction score
The problem with drafting a QB high is that the team is still invested in Romo for the foreseeable future and by the time he retires the backup might have moved on in free agency. They need to time the acquisition of the QB of the future perfectly so that his development coincides with Romo's retirement. Next year's draft might be it.