Management two major screw ups haunting us now.....

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They have drafted QBs and they didn't work out so they have gone the veteran backup route as of late. You can scoff all you want but in their minds a former 1st round pick with starting experience in the league is about as good as you can get at backup QB. Every team but a handful is in the same exact boat if they lose their starting QB. I think they handled the RB situation just fine. Now, they just have to let the best RB they have suit up and play.

Got it................so we are going to be "just fine" right?

RB situation is ready to roll, and QB is great. LOL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't see not drafting a QB as Romo's replacement as a management screw up. As another poster said, most likely would require a 1st or 2nd round pick and the perceived quality of those available weren't there. Further, Romo has probably 3 years left so if a QB was drafted last year, year before or 2 years ago, that player would have spent his entire rookie contract on the bench. This year or next year's draft, IMO,is when Romo's replacement should be drafted.

It does not always require a first or second round pick. And you can throw in the affinity to think that Weeden is any good as part of that screw up.

Its not about when you should draft his replacement. Its that you shouldnt pass up on quality QB's in the draft when opportunities are there.

BPA needs to include the QB position does it not? From where I am standing, they have almost taken on the position that they simply arent going to draft a QB.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This IS Tony's team. The team had a ton of needs to be fully competitive over the long haul. That was the best protection for any quarterback in the starter's role.

What, you would want a quarterback riding the pine before getting the likes of Lawrence, Gregory, Martin, Jones?

Its not Tonys team anymore is it? Its Weedens team. How do you feel about that?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The issue with the QB position is that you had better find legit first round talent there. Most of the quality QB's in this league were legit first rounders or UDFA's or 7th rounders that went to a small school.

Tom Brady is a complete anomaly and even he had a unique story as Michigan wouldn't play him since they were enamored with Drew Henson.

So you're trying to win a Super Bowl, but you're going to spend a first rounder on a QB. I would have preferred a trade up to get 2 first rounders and get a backup QB, but I can understand that it may have not been feasible since you're relying on another team to make a trade with.

As far as the RB position goes, I'm convinced that Randle was their guy to take over the spot all along. McFadden isn't getting paid much and it's basically a pay for play contract with him. And now he's been the starter. It's pretty obvious that Randle was their guy.

And again, we needed help on defense...so if you spend a pick on a RB, that takes away from spending picks on your Byron Jones' and Randy Gregory's.

YR

CCBoy

Reaction score
The QB position is the most important position in football. If I had Romo and Favre on my team, I would still never pass up on a QB I thought could be franchise material. And that QB would no longer be riding the pine now would he? :)

So, your team in the NFL would NOT be winning...because the rest of the team couldn't keep them out of casts and crutches. You would need all those quarterbacks.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Its not Tonys team anymore is it? Its Weedens team. How do you feel about that?

I never saw that, 'find a *****.' And still don't...as to feel, I usually do that with my hands.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The issue with the QB position is that you had better find legit first round talent there. Most of the quality QB's in this league were legit first rounders or UDFA's or 7th rounders that went to a small school.

Tom Brady is a complete anomaly and even he had a unique story as Michigan wouldn't play him since they were enamored with Drew Henson.

So you're trying to win a Super Bowl, but you're going to spend a first rounder on a QB. I would have preferred a trade up to get 2 first rounders and get a backup QB, but I can understand that it may have not been feasible since you're relying on another team to make a trade with.

As far as the RB position goes, I'm convinced that Randle was their guy to take over the spot all along. McFadden isn't getting paid much and it's basically a pay for play contract with him. And now he's been the starter. It's pretty obvious that Randle was their guy.

And again, we needed help on defense...so if you spend a pick on a RB, that takes away from spending picks on your Byron Jones' and Randy Gregory's.

YR

Good post, YR. I would not have overlooked the defensive players, or offensive linemen taken. There is plenty of developmental talent around...but for a franchise quarterback, as you state, that's just not a given science. At least below the 3rd pick of a draft....and your scout department still better be fully qualified for the task.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Good post, YR. I would not have overlooked the defensive players, or offensive linemen taken. There is plenty of developmental talent around...but for a franchise quarterback, as you state, that's just not a given science. At least below the 3rd pick of a draft....and your scout department still better be fully qualified for the task.

Why would your scouting department be good at picking every other position than QB and be bad only at QB? That comment doesnt even make sense.

Now I am certainly of a mind that great QB's usually come from high first round picks, but the reality is that its not true. If you do what the Cowboys do and simply blow off the QB position in the draft, you are going to have a tough time finding one. Personally, I like the way that NE does it. If they see a QB they like they draft one. They do it almost every year. They either try to develop him, then trade him if he has good value.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I never saw that, 'find a *****.' And still don't...as to feel, I usually do that with my hands.

You seem like a pretty angry dude. If you continue with your pointless posts, ill just put you on ignore. Do you have something rational to say to me or are you just going to continue your rant because you dont like what I said?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why would your scouting department be good at picking every other position than QB and be bad only at QB? That comment doesnt even make sense.

Now I am certainly of a mind that great QB's usually come from high first round picks, but the reality is that its not true. If you do what the Cowboys do and simply blow off the QB position in the draft, you are going to have a tough time finding one. Personally, I like the way that NE does it. If they see a QB they like they draft one. They do it almost every year. They either try to develop him, then trade him if he has good value.

First impulse, just don't and then think it through. How many top shelf quarterbacks get picked in the top 5 picks, and actually lead the NFL at some point?

DFWJC

Reaction score
The QB position is the most important position in football. If I had Romo and Favre on my team, I would still never pass up on a QB I thought could be franchise material. And that QB would no longer be riding the pine now would he? :)

So who would you have drafted in the last couple of years?
(and of course, any answer would be hind site, and after already seeing results of all the miserable failures that have been drafted lately.)

Also, you do realize that most teams that lose a franchise QB don't proceed without some regression.

And finally, Romo most likely is not lost for the season. And because they have been drafting o-lineman and defensive players instead of throwing darts at random QBs, the team around Weeden is now pretty good.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

YR
So Romo must be an anomaly too then? And Russel Wilson in the 3rd round?

The point is that if you dont try, you dont find. Its been pretty clear that the Cowboys arent trying very hard. We have seen where they pass on a QB on their board that is the BPA on their board. That is blatant avoidance behavior.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So Jerry's team is 2-0 and we are talking about mistakes? Shouldn't we let them fail first? And I don't blame the running backs for this. The offensive line isn't blocking as well as they did last year. They have the reputation of the best offensive line in the league but they aren't playing like it this year.

In regards to Romo's replacement......i'm uneven on that.

People have this skewed opinion about finding qb's in the draft late in rounds. Its not going to happen. Romo's replacement is a 1st round pick and was it worth spending a first round pick on his replacement? I think not. It was much smarter for them to go with Weeden then waste a late 1st rounder on a quarterback.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You seem like a pretty angry dude. If you continue with your pointless posts, ill just put you on ignore. Do you have something rational to say to me or are you just going to continue your rant because you dont like what I said?

Straight up, put me on ignore...and quit the belly aching instead of an exchange of points. You only take a nanny too too view, up to here.

Try discussing what is given back to you, but immediately ignored to look smart...i.e., the offensive line and defense needed the talent more!

Quarterbacks being picked in the draft, are no guarantee to succeed. Yes, it's that difficult to arrive at a franchise level quarterback, so picking one every year high up, deletes a team. On the Cowboys, the team is very directed into the future on a year in basis. This roster has become quite strong through mending all the fences needed for success...

now, run along and ignore.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
First impulse, just don't and then think it through. How many top shelf quarterbacks get picked in the top 5 picks, and actually lead the NFL at some point?

Im not sure your point. Are you happy with the way the Cowboys have handled QB development on this team lately? Are you happy with Weeden as the backup? If your answer is yes to both, then fine, that is your opinion.

But in trying to sift through your angry rants, it seems like your trying to say that you can only find QB's high and even that is tough so its all a waste of time. Is that your point?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So who would you have drafted in the last couple of years?
(and of course, any answer would be hind site, and after already seeing results of all the miserable failures that have been drafted lately.)

Also, you do realize that most teams that lose a franchise QB don't proceed without some regression.

And finally, Romo most likely is not lost for the season. And because they have been drafting o-lineman and defensive players instead of throwing darts at random QBs, the team around Weeden is now pretty good.
As you point out, going back is circumstantial and hind site. I am also not in the scouting department. All I can tell you is that if I was running the team I would treat the QB position like any other BPA and even make it more or a priority. Even if I had a great young QB, I would always be looking for more.

Love the way NE drafts, develops, trades QB's.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Im not sure your point. Are you happy with the way the Cowboys have handled QB development on this team lately? Are you happy with Weeden as the backup? If your answer is yes to both, then fine, that is your opinion.

But in trying to sift through your angry rants, it seems like your trying to say that you can only find QB's high and even that is tough so its all a waste of time. Is that your point?

Two doors down, they're laughing and having a party...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Straight up, put me on ignore...and quit the belly aching instead of an exchange of points. You only take a nanny too too view, up to here.

Try discussing what is given back to you, but immediately ignored to look smart...i.e., the offensive line and defense needed the talent more!

Quarterbacks being picked in the draft, are no guarantee to succeed. Yes, it's that difficult to arrive at a franchise level quarterback, so picking one every year high up, deletes a team. On the Cowboys, the team is very directed into the future on a year in basis. This roster has become quite strong through mending all the fences needed for success...

now, run along and ignore.

Really, they needed the talent more? So Romo is out for 10 weeks, where is the talent?

No position is guaranteed success. That point is moot.

This roster has become strong..................accept at the QB position. Romo could go down any time. Oh wait, he just did. Especially with the back problems that Romo has had. Its seem rather dumb for the Cowboy to not be developing and drafting young QB's.