Manny Lawson and Larry Allen falter....

tkiehl

Reaction score
According to theredzone.org under the san fran site ML could not even finish the LB drills that Mike Singletary put the team thru and LA was overweight as usual.....he's to old for this if he wants to keep playin imho.....like bobby more now.....

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tkiehl said:
According to theredzone.org under the san fran site ML could not even finish the LB drills that Mike Singletary put the team thru and LA was overweight as usual.....he's to old for this if he wants to keep playin imho.....like bobby more now.....

I still think Manny Lawson has "bust" written all over him.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
article:

Guard Larry Allen was easily the most intriguing player of the minicamp based on his impressive size and strength.

During a pass-protection drill, he tossed linebackers as if they were rag dolls. On another exercise calling for guards to pull and then hit a large pad held by a teammate, Allen came out of his stance and punched the pad held chest-high by Eric Heitmann. Allen lifted the 305-pound Heitmann clean off of his feet; Heitmann then landed and stumbled backward.

Fearing potential injuries, coach Mike Nolan went to selected players, including Allen, and told them to be careful.

But Allen appears too heavy. On a drill calling for him to bounce on his feet late in practice, Allen didn't move at all. But the 49ers seem unconcerned. Allen has a reputation for downsizing to his proper playing weight in time for the regular season.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Read something today on PFT that said Lawson doesn't know who Charles Haley is in relation to the 49ers. "Said it was before his time" Shocking indeed.

per PFT

Let's see UNC ran for 275 yds and NCST went 6-5 reg. season in 2005, what might be wrong with this picture???

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Good thing we signed a capable starter at LG in.....

Ummm.....

Two huge questions marks arise at LG. Did we overspend on an unknown quantity in Kosier? And did we waste a 3rd round pick on Peterman?

This season will answer both.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
first off, don't be too quick to label someone elses draft pick a bust in his first rookie mini camp.

We have no idea the circumstances around the shuttle drills or anything or even if the report is true.

I still am on board with drafting Carpenter totally.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Read something today on PFT that said Lawson doesn't know who Charles Haley is in relation to the 49ers. "Said it was before his time" Shocking indeed.

per PFT

Well, just because a fella has freakish athletic skills doesn't mean he has to be a couch potato like the rest of us. ;)

But it is ironic because Lawson seemed to favor those spin moves so much he reminded me of Charles Haley.

MW, while I wanted Lawson over Carpenter, I do agree that he has high bust potential. Another workout warrior who may have contributed the most from Mario Williams.

I thought Kimerion Wimbley had the least bust potential, but too high for us. :(

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
cobra said:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/05/08/SPGH1IN6561.DTL

-- Opinions varied on the team's other first-round pick, linebacker Manny Lawson. Some thought Lawson looked too lanky (he's 6-foot-5 and a svelte 240 pounds). He couldn't finish a punishing shuttle drill imposed by linebackers coach Mike Singletary.

However, others liked Lawson's intelligence and his pass-rush ability.

Wow....I was wanted Manny Lawson so bad......glad Ireland DOES NOT listen to me.........I am on the Carpenter bandwagon!

Xy_Oldone

Reaction score
bbgun said:
article:

Guard Larry Allen was easily the most intriguing player of the minicamp based on his impressive size and strength.

During a pass-protection drill, he tossed linebackers as if they were rag dolls. On another exercise calling for guards to pull and then hit a large pad held by a teammate, Allen came out of his stance and punched the pad held chest-high by Eric Heitmann. Allen lifted the 305-pound Heitmann clean off of his feet; Heitmann then landed and stumbled backward.

Fearing potential injuries, coach Mike Nolan went to selected players, including Allen, and told them to be careful.

Too old? I wish we had someone that could toss linebackers like rag dolls. Old or not.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Xy_Oldone said:
Too old? I wish we had someone that could toss linebackers like rag dolls. Old or not.

ya how many peopel in the league throw 300 pound men around with ease?

we are gonna regret the larry allen thing I just know it

superpunk

Reaction score
Why do we have to bash a player the second he goes to another team? Whether we're talking Allen, or Lawson who many had a boner for pre-draft? Same thing happened with Merriman last year. I don't understand it.

Mash

Reaction score
Larry Allen was a true warrior for us.....but he is a shell of himself now.....if he gets his hands on you....its over....but that doesnt happen often now with his lack of mobility

JMHO

It was time to move on.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I wish we had someone that could toss linebackers like rag dolls.

The only time Larry tosses LB's around is in a drill. In games he never gets to the LB's anymore. Sad but very true.

ya how many peopel in the league throw 300 pound men around with ease?

Name one 300 lb linebacker.

Larry Allen is a shell of the player he was. You'd have to be blind not to see that. Or in denial.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
tkiehl said:

I thought veteran camp wasn't until June?

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke said:
The only time Larry tosses LB's around is in a drill. In games he never gets to the LB's anymore. Sad but very true.

Name one 300 lb linebacker.

Larry Allen is a shell of the player he was. You'd have to be blind not to see that. Or in denial.

shell of who he was is still better than 75 percent of the lineman in the league.

the guy was top of the line amazing in his prime.

and if I had to name one 300 pound lineman his name woudl be tubby

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
I thought veteran camp wasn't until June?

The 49ers (and many other teams) had minicamp this past weekend for both rookies and veterans. Those teams won't have a separate minicamp for veterans.