Manny Lawson and Larry Allen falter....

Reaction score
Carolina ran all over NC Fake last two years without it's best back. You can run on Mario and Manny they have talent but an average self promoting coach.We did the right thing with Allen it's still sad to me, LA in his prime was the best guard EVER........... EVER

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
larry allen can toss a parked car but he just can't get to the second level anymore.

he's still great at the point of attack on running plays - but less-than-average when pulling, and a whopping liability in the passing game.

his "slide" done slid. Hercules in high heels.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
NorthDalal said:
Let's see UNC ran for 275 yds and NCST went 6-5 reg. season in 2005, what might be wrong with this picture???

Yes, I was a tad surprised as to how many NFL players NC State produced on defense, considering they were very mediocre as a whole.

morasp

Reaction score
In terms of comparing drafts, I'll still take Ware over Merriman. Even though Merriman got all the pub last year. We'll have to see how they do this year.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
I don't think there is anyone on this board that would question LA's upper body strength. But LA has never understood, that because he lets his weight balloon up in the off-season, does next to zero cardiac or leg work, and truly has become lazy or has lost his desire to play, he is a shell of the player he was. Pure strength at his age with next to zero mobility leaves him just a below average player. I love LA, but it was time for him to go so that we could move on in finding a replacement. Is Kosier or Peterman the answer? We shall find out in 2006.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Wow....I was wanted Manny Lawson so bad......glad Ireland DOES NOT listen to me.........I am on the Carpenter bandwagon!
me too....

Reaction score
Carpenter is a better fit, He's no slouch. As for Allen that's what BP was trying to get him to do to make him more effective was work on other things but he was in denial for awhile that caused friction

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Vintage said:
Good thing we signed a capable starter at LG in.....

Ummm.....

Two huge questions marks arise at LG. Did we overspend on an unknown quantity in Kosier? And did we waste a 3rd round pick on Peterman?

This season will answer both.

Scary thought isn't it? I'm still hoping (praying) we can get some more line help following the June 1st cuts

the_h0wey

Reaction score
stealth said:
shell of who he was is still better than 75 percent of the lineman in the league.

the guy was top of the line amazing in his prime.

and if I had to name one 300 pound lineman his name woudl be tubby

tubby good one... :laugh2:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Vintage said:
Good thing we signed a capable starter at LG in.....

Ummm.....

Two huge questions marks arise at LG. Did we overspend on an unknown quantity in Kosier? And did we waste a 3rd round pick on Peterman?

This season will answer both.

I agree... we will have to wait...

Ireland said the other day that 100% of the scouting department, along with Parcells were for signing Kosier after watching film. I guess they saw something we haven't as of yet.

Ireland also said many will be surprised at his athleticism... we shall see...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Larry Allen was still miles better than Marco Rivera last year. How long did Larry sit on the open market? A day? He pretty much got to hand select where he wanted to go. "Uhm, I think I want to go back home to the Bay Area. Just call San Francisco and tell them I'll sign with them. $4-$5 million a year sounds good. Whatever. I'll give them a home team discount" Larry Allen was released for only one reason .. money, and even that was with great trepidation.

Mash

Reaction score
The 49's overpaid....IMHO.....good for Larry.....retirement fund.

Eddie

Reaction score
Mash said:
The 49's overpaid....IMHO.....good for Larry.....retirement fund.

You mean like how we got a bargain in LA for $8 mil a year to watch him miss on sweeps???

Yep, 49ers sure got suckered. Misery loves company.

p1_

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Why do we have to bash a player the second he goes to another team? Whether we're talking Allen, or Lawson who many had a boner for pre-draft? Same thing happened with Merriman last year. I don't understand it.

There were plenty of people bashing Allen long before he left. And for good reason. Living on a rep, the basis for which had long since vanished. A weightlifter does not a lineman make.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hated to see Larry leave but bottom line for me was he would cost way to much and the talent level is not near what it once was. Dallas in the long run is better off moving forward with new players than overpaying Larry. If we were not in the age of salary caps and FA then it may be a different story but I don't think wasting big money on what a player did in the past is smart.

p1_

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
Yes, I was a tad surprised as to how many NFL players NC State produced on defense, considering they were very mediocre as a whole.

Me too. I thought the same thing about FSU. Lots o guys taken early/high off a mediocre team.

burmafrd

Reaction score
When you see that much talent on a team with that kind of record- it pretty much screams bad coaching.

superpunk

Reaction score
p1_ said:
There were plenty of people bashing Allen long before he left. And for good reason. Living on a rep, the basis for which had long since vanished. A weightlifter does not a lineman make.

I bashed him too, but it really intensifies when he leaves. I wish him the best. But with Lawson....that was all we heard about for weeks, and now laughing at a guy who's switching positions? Like I said, the same thing happened with Merriman last year.