Manny Lawson at 18??

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Maybe I'm blind or haven't seen enough mock drafts. Lots of people on here are talking about Manny Lawson for us at 18. But I have yet to see him on any mock drafts being taken in the first round. So my question, is he a reach for us at 18?? Obviously we could trade down if he is a reach. Or maybe if you've seen a mock draft where he's taken in the first round, please post.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Ware wasn't in the mock first rounds last year either. Lawson is even faster than Ware and is just as good as a pass rusher at the college level. After the combine, he will shoot up the draft boards. With that I would rather take Jon Scott at 18.

Z-Man

Reaction score
Draft projections will change drastically after the combine.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
If we go OLB at 18, and Carpenter is still on the board, Carpenter is my first pick preference. Well unless somehow AJ Hawk is still available ( I can dream big)

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Maybe I'm blind or haven't seen enough mock drafts. Lots of people on here are talking about Manny Lawson for us at 18. But I have yet to see him on any mock drafts being taken in the first round. So my question, is he a reach for us at 18?? Obviously we could trade down if he is a reach. Or maybe if you've seen a mock draft where he's taken in the first round, please post.
Only teams that run a 3-4 would probably be most interested. And alot of those teams have different needs.

I would take Carpenter, and if he's there at 18, I might seriously entertain any team interested in trading up.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Only teams that run a 3-4 would probably be most interested. And alot of those teams have different needs.

Not true. He could play DE in the 4-3. He is not that much different than John Abraham who is an elite DE.

JonCJG

Reaction score
GBN has him going number 12 to the Browns and with a good combine effort I expect him to go somewhere around there. He is supposed to be a workout warrior and after doing so well in Senior Bowl practices, he will shoot up after the combine.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Cowboy_love_4ever said:

Not true. He could play DE in the 4-3. He is not that much different than John Abraham who is an elite DE.
He was invisible in the Senior bowl, he got loose a couple of times, but was not really in the QB's face.

But if you payed attention to Darryl Tapp, he was all over the QB - but he's too slow... I don't understand how he could be in the QB's face all day long and the fast guys rarely got to the QB.

If you move Lawson to olb, he will dominate. I'm torn on Lawson and Carpenter right now. *one more note* If Lawson plays DE in a 4-3, he will be eaten alive in the running game...

Z-Man

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
neosapien23 said:
He was invisible in the Senior bowl, he got loose a couple of times, but was not really in the QB's face.

But if you payed attention to Darryl Tapp, he was all over the QB - but he's too slow... I don't understand how he could be in the QB's face all day long and the fast guys rarely got to the QB.

If you move Lawson to olb, he will dominate. I'm torn on Lawson and Carpenter right now. *one more note* If Lawson plays DE in a 4-3, he will be eaten alive in the running game...

Not everyone who has big games in the senior bowl pan out in the NFL, and vice-versa not everyone who has a bad/mediocre game end up as busts.

Remember it is just one game and one game only. If you judge anyone in this draft only on their worst game of the season, none would be 1st rounders.

NewmanFan4

Reaction score
My problem with Lawson is this:

Lawson is a liability in run defense. As a strong side OLB in the 3-4, that has to be your forte. Now, Lawson IS a terror on the pass rush, but that is for the WOLB, which is already manned by Ware. If we were to draft Lawson, he would make our pass rush better, but our run defense worse. I think he could improve our team as a whole, but Ware, with his improved skills against the run might have to move to SOLB. I'm not too comfortable with that.

Carpenter is a great choice for SOLB in the 3-4. I'm just afraid he'll be gone by the time we pick. Or he'll be there, and we'll trade down to try to get him later, and someone will snatch him up before he gets to us.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
neosapien23 said:

I think 18 is too high for a linebacker. We already spent a first on Ware and a 2nd on Burnett. Burnett better get with the program before he becomes labeled as a bust. I would take Scott in the first and Tapp in the 2nd. Wimberely is another intriguing option in the 2nd.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
NewmanFan4 said:
My problem with Lawson is this:

Lawson is a liability in run defense. As a strong side OLB in the 3-4, that has to be your forte. Now, Lawson IS a terror on the pass rush, but that is for the WOLB, which is already manned by Ware. If we were to draft Lawson, he would make our pass rush better, but our run defense worse. I think he could improve our team as a whole, but Ware, with his improved skills against the run might have to move to SOLB. I'm not too comfortable with that.

Carpenter is a great choice for SOLB in the 3-4. I'm just afraid he'll be gone by the time we pick. Or he'll be there, and we'll trade down to try to get him later, and someone will snatch him up before he gets to us.

This is my belief as well. Everyone here is trying to convince me that Dallas wants two pass rushing demons on each side.

Looking at BP's history, he is probably more likely to draft an ILB and move him to OLB.

Carpenter is a prototype SOLB in the 3-4 IMO.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Ware wasn't in the mock first rounds last year either. Lawson is even faster than Ware and is just as good as a pass rusher at the college level. After the combine, he will shoot up the draft boards. With that I would rather take Jon Scott at 18.

Are you sure he is faster then Ware? I would like to see that race......if he is faster then Ware.....I say take him.

neosapien23

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Are you sure he is faster then Ware? I would like to see that race......if he is faster then Ware.....I say take him.

Yes he is faster. He was supposedly clocked at 4.43 forty. I think Ware was somewhere around a 4.56.

jbsg02

Reaction score
I think I would take Carpenter over Lawson. Carpenter was very productive and his pass rushing skills are under-rated.

We will have to wait til after free agency to see what positions are filled.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I think 18 is too high for a linebacker. We already spent a first on Ware and a 2nd on Burnett. Burnett better get with the program before he becomes labeled as a bust. I would take Scott in the first and Tapp in the 2nd. Wimberely is another intriguing option in the 2nd.
I like your 2nd round pick.:)

btcutter

Reaction score
No...No...No..

Lawson's coach said in his interview (someone posted it in the recent past) that Lawson is a very good DE when he can concentrate on passrush. He is much less effective when he has to think and diagnose the pass.

if his coach thinks that, it meant to me that he has questionable instincts. That's not going to cut it in a 3-4 OLB. No way I am taking him in the 1st. He almost reminds me of Peppi Zellner (anyone remember? one of our 4th rounders)

Give me a instinctive and productive LB who can give our D an attitude in the 1st or a starting OT.

Z-Man

Reaction score
btcutter said:
No...No...No..

Lawson's coach said in his interview (someone posted it in the recent past) that Lawson is a very good DE when he can concentrate on passrush. He is much less effective when he has to think and diagnose the pass.

if his coach thinks that, it meant to me that he has questionable instincts. That's not going to cut it in a 3-4 OLB. No way I am taking him in the 1st. He almost reminds me of Peppi Zellner (anyone remember? one of our 4th rounders)

Give me a instinctive and productive LB who can give our D an attitude in the 1st or a starting OT.
Zellner didn't play divison I ball nor did he have Lawson's speed. So how there's any comparison????He also only played defensive end in the NFL, never lining up at OLB.

kartr

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Cowboy_love_4ever said:

I like your comment on the linebacker position, but for different reasons. I think a linebacker is too far away from the LOS to give us the maximum effect. I believe that Broderick Bunkley would be the better pick, maybe trade down to 25 and take him there. He is a pass rushing DT and will not allow the qb to step up in the pocket and maybe flush him outside to our speedy linebackers. I don't favor taking an OL on the first day because this is a very deep draft for OL. I favor taking Bunkley in the first, Omar Jacobs in the 2nd and Kai Parham in the third along with Todd Watkins (wr from BYU) with the other 3rd we get for trading down in the first. These players could give our offense and defense punch at the same time.